Page 1 of 14 123456711 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 2011 weather thread

Currently we have -13 F and plummeting, with light snow wuthering around the house . Prediction:

A wind chill warning remains in effect until noon MST Tuesday.

* Summary and timing... temperatures will range from 12 below to 22 below zero through the morning hours. This combined with wind will create dangerous wind chill values.

* Wind chill values... 30 to 40 degrees below zero.

* Wind... north 10 to 15 mph with locally higher gusts in open areas.
    We have two horses in the barn, two more in runs with three sided sheds. One of the outdoor horses has a blankie; the other is a mustang with a coat so thick you can't work your fingers through the hair to the skin. Dogs are in the house. Cats are in front of the woodstove. Looks like winter to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Currently Victoria is experiencing a heat wave, 39 degrees Celsius (102.2F)today, 38 yesterday can't remember what the day before that was, but high 30s, but a cool spell is coming so the weather man says, just for a day or 2 then the heat will be back. Up in Northern Queensland they are battening down the hatches for Cat 3 going on 4 Cyclone and they are still trying to recover from the flooding in QLD. Crazy weather in this part of the world.

Forgot to add that parts of Victoria are still on flood warnings as well
    ~Mosaic
    Dance is like glitter, it not only colours your life, it makes you sparkle, you find it everywhere and in everything and it's near impossible to get rid of. (unknown)

Post Thanks / Like

Talk about being on opposite ends of the weather spectrum!
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shanazel View Post
    Talk about being on opposite ends of the weather spectrum!
    I know, the snow the US has been having is quite horrendous and your wind chill factors Brrrrrrr ... I think I'll stay with the heat wave But it would be rather nice to find that place where there is a nice balance, not too hot nor too cold. I have a feeling the chance of that happening in the near or distant future may be a whole lot of wishful thinking!
    ~Mosaic
    Dance is like glitter, it not only colours your life, it makes you sparkle, you find it everywhere and in everything and it's near impossible to get rid of. (unknown)

Post Thanks / Like

Until a couple of weeks ago we had a great winter with both snow and sunwith temperatures below zero (C) for more than six weeks in a row - usually between -10 and -15 (C).
    The last two week, it has been 3 - 6 (C) very rainy and rather windy and nearly all the snow is gone (i.e. by the sea, still much snow left if you are higher than 200 m.a.s.l.). In other words: Pretty boring weather at the moment, but there is still hope as I can see something blue behind the skies. Although we had a quite nice snowstorm last Saturday...
    --
    Daim.

Post Thanks / Like

-34 degrees C this morning. I had to upgrade to my army surplus winter parka, which does well up to about -45 or so. It's supposed to go up to the -5 or 10 range by the weekend though!

Post Thanks / Like

We've got a hazy sky and temps holding at -12 F. My daughter just left the house for school wearing a sweatshirt and jeans. I assume she has a coat in her truck and is just trying to rattle Mom's chains, but with her it's hard to tell. I MIGHT make it outside this afternoon to get wood for the stove, but I'm more inclined to huddle under a quilt and sleep.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shanazel View Post
    We've got a hazy sky and temps holding at -12 F. My daughter just left the house for school wearing a sweatshirt and jeans. I assume she has a coat in her truck and is just trying to rattle Mom's chains, but with her it's hard to tell. I MIGHT make it outside this afternoon to get wood for the stove, but I'm more inclined to huddle under a quilt and sleep.
    I'm with you on that one - huddling under a quilt ( maybe 3 or 4) and sleeping! brrrrrr - I am just not into cold weather in any way whatsoever!

For me today, is to be a relatively pleasant 32 C (98.6) with maybe a bit of rain later in the day.
    ~Mosaic

Post Thanks / Like

Currently -19F (-28C) with low temps of -22 predicted for tonight. A third of the country is getting whammed by major winter storms tonight- even Chicago shut down. A friend who lives in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area says the streets are deserted and the airports are closed. When ice storms and blizzards happen in the southern states, everything grinds to a halt because they don't have the equipment of skills to deal with winter conditions.

How are things in Oz? Has the cyclone come ashore yet?

Post Thanks / Like

Cyclone upgraded to cat 5(that's katrina-sized), touchdown due in 2-3 hours. Yes, again with the friends & family up there I'm worried about. Nothing left to do now but wait.

Page 1 of 14 123456711 ... LastLast