Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

This evening we had a crazy thunderstorm! Between around 7 pm and 10 pm the rain was pouring and lightning was insane. They are saying on the news that there were over 5000 lightnings hit the city area and 150 mm rain.
    Practically every basement is flooded and the street manhole covers (is that the right word?) are popping up because of the flood
    The tv and radio signals have been out all evening all over the city.
    Here's a video someone was fast enough to upload.

I am just glad I am not at the Roskilde Festival just half an hour from here where about 70.000 people are living in tents right now The thunderstorm was moving in their direction...

This is pretty close to where I live

Post Thanks / Like

Hope you are keeping dry, and that it drains away soon.

We had big thunderstorms pass right over last week, after a "heatwave" that lasted all of a couple of days. Not that much rain though.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Aniseteph, I'm dry in my apartment on the third floor, but the basement is flooded. Luckily most people have their storage rooms in the attic.
    Some places downtown, like the cinema "palace" and the "tivoli" had to evacuate because of risk for fire and electricity in the water. Scary!

Post Thanks / Like

WOW! that's a lot of rain in 3 hours, I bet everyone was worried as to when it will stop! Hope it has drained away and there is not too much of a clean up having to be done.
    ~Mosaic
    Dance is like glitter, it not only colours your life, it makes you sparkle, you find it everywhere and in everything and it's near impossible to get rid of. (unknown)

Post Thanks / Like

Sigh, my ceramic studio is flooded but the kilns are fine and I think my throwing wheel is ok too. There are some bags of plaster that are soaked but otherwise most stuff on the floor is in buckets. There is just plenty of water to wade through. My boyfriend is at his bandpractice space trying to rescue his drums and other equipment. They are predicting another hard rainfall tonight.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gisela View Post
    Sigh, my ceramic studio is flooded but the kilns are fine and I think my throwing wheel is ok too. There are some bags of plaster that are soaked but otherwise most stuff on the floor is in buckets. There is just plenty of water to wade through. My boyfriend is at his bandpractice space trying to rescue his drums and other equipment. They are predicting another hard rainfall tonight.
    Oh gosh I am glad your kilns & wheel are OK, what a nuisance ( and expense) to lose your plaster though. I hope your boyfriends band equipment is OK. That would be terrible to lose all that too water damage. Get everything up off the ground ( which i am sure you have rushed to do) so if the rain comes again at least you know things are safe.
    ~Mosaic
    Dance is like glitter, it not only colours your life, it makes you sparkle, you find it everywhere and in everything and it's near impossible to get rid of. (unknown)

Post Thanks / Like

We've been getting extra rain as well but nothing like that. I hope everything is alright? Any chance of an update on your wheel and the band equipment?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Christchurch snow

We have been having a very mild winter - only one frost so far. Until last night. Then it snowed (unusual in Christchurch - we only get stuff that stays on the ground for a day or so every few years). Actually it snowed from Invercargill up into the top of the North Island (there was a report of snow in Northland - but everyone thinks it was probably just sleet)

It was snowing at sea level - a good 100mm - kids were sliding down the "sand" hills on bits of wood!
    Attachment 4764
    Attachment 4765

How unusual is it? Apart from roads being closed most places in the South Island people were told to stay home unless there was urgent reasons to travel (work was not considered urgent). I know that's woosy if you live in many places - but most drivers here can't handle it.

Some photos on Snow, 25 July 2011 - a set on Flickr

Post Thanks / Like

All around the globe, the weather is extreme. Whenever we get rain here, it's always like a storm from an Armegeddon attack. I blame the hole in the ozone layer, and the one responsible for hurting the ecology the most, George Dubya Bush.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ariadne View Post
    We've been getting extra rain as well but nothing like that. I hope everything is alright? Any chance of an update on your wheel and the band equipment?
    Thanks for the concern Ariadne! I missed your post. People are getting back to business but there are still piles of junk on the streets, where people have emptied their cellars. I think my wheel is allright. I am trying it tomorrow. I wanted it to be completely dry before turning it on. There is no moldy smell in our studio so I think I managed to get the water out and clean the place up.
    My boyfriend's vintage drum from 1963 has been to the drumdoctor and is ready today Only about $250 for fixing it!

The worst thing in Copenhagen was the cancer research bio-bank that got flooded by two metres They had a million cell-samples or something, and years of Cancer research material. They were afraid of a major setback but saved most of it in the nick of time.