Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok, who else is in the path of Irene?

Post Thanks / Like

I have an elderly friend in Jacksonville Fl, looking at the tracking map it looks like the outer bands will hit her area and likely to deliver a very nasty blow. Her daughter is a Chief Firey at one of the Jacksonville stations so can't be with her elderly parents. It is very worrying.

Everyone in that nasties path get to some safe place ASAP!
    ~Mosaic
    Dance is like glitter, it not only colours your life, it makes you sparkle, you find it everywhere and in everything and it's near impossible to get rid of. (unknown)

Post Thanks / Like

The Floridians got lucky. Irene is currently hammering N.C. and creating havoc up the entire eastern seaboard. My in-laws are in a shelter somewhere near Virginia Beach. (I have no idea why they didn't leave before when they were told to ) My husband had to go to work in NYC, so I'm with my family waiting for the rain & wind to arrive. At least we didn't have to evacuate. Here's hoping we don't lose power.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Irene was mean to trees

We started getting the rain from Irene around 6 AM EDT yesterday, and it continued until after 11 last night. The winds here got up to at least 40 MPH sustained, with higher gusts. That "doesn't sound like much," unless you realize that the area I live in is forested with trees taller than most houses. Lots of trees. I watched facebook in horror as friend after friend reported trees coming down across roads, driveways, neighbor's houses, etc.

I tried to sew my way through, distracting myself with a new costume. We are lucky we kept our power, allowing me to sew until about 10:30 at night -- when the wind speed started to decrease. There was one distinct popping sound that sent such an adrenaline rush that the skin on my right arm actually HURT from it. Turns out it was a tree in between us and the neighbors that came uprooted and is now balancing on other trees trying to decide if it will crush our other neighbor's cars.

Water pressure is dropping, making me wonder if we will have to use the water we set aside. My husband is bravely trying to head up to church as I type. (I am too wiped out from last night to go. He slept, and I "kept watch" because I couldn't sleep.) 3/4 of our area is without power. I attribute our electricity to my husband's forethought: he bought a generator early Friday "just in case." We have it if we need it; so, of course we haven't needed it yet. We will keep it, regardless.

Hope everyone else in her wide path is OK.

Regards,

Anala

Post Thanks / Like

I wish for your continued safety Anala! Crossing fingers for Irene to pass quickly.

Bahamas got hit severly I think All the media here is focusing on New york so there is not so much coverage from other places.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Anala View Post
    We started getting the rain from Irene around 6 AM EDT yesterday, and it continued until after 11 last night. The winds here got up to at least 40 MPH sustained, with higher gusts. That "doesn't sound like much," unless you realize that the area I live in is forested with trees taller than most houses. Lots of trees. I watched facebook in horror as friend after friend reported trees coming down across roads, driveways, neighbor's houses, etc.
    And here I was wishing we had more trees. They're a natural barrier to wind/water, though yes, they do sometimes fall down. We made it through pretty well. We lost electricity for only 30 minutes or so during the night. Local roads are flooded, but we've got food and water so we're ok for the next two days. The supermarket next door (i.e. walking distance) is closed for today, but I'm pretty sure it'll be open tomorrow. The back end of the storm is still passing through, but it's been downgraded to a tropical storm. All in all, I feel lucky.

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to hear you got through Irene's onslaught OK Aziyade & Sirene. Hope anyone else in her path has come through it all OK. As you mentioned Sirene, Florida escaped Irene's nastiness, my elderly friend is very much relieved. Stay safe.
    ~Mosaic
    Dance is like glitter, it not only colours your life, it makes you sparkle, you find it everywhere and in everything and it's near impossible to get rid of. (unknown)

Post Thanks / Like

Thinking of you in the storm's path. I suspect those who are having the most problems won't be checking in on OD though!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm thinking of you all as well and saying prayers for the well-being of friends and family in the path.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like