Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Its 9C at the moment. Cloudy. Rain predicted tomorrow to Saturday.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shanazel View Post
    Currently -19F (-28C) with low temps of -22 predicted for tonight. A third of the country is getting whammed by major winter storms tonight- even Chicago shut down. A friend who lives in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area says the streets are deserted and the airports are closed. When ice storms and blizzards happen in the southern states, everything grinds to a halt because they don't have the equipment of skills to deal with winter conditions.

How are things in Oz? Has the cyclone come ashore yet?
    Yasi expected to hit around midnight, somewhere between cairns and Inisfail. It is 600km wide. Winds betweens 285 to 300km hr. I have a son, and 2 little grandbabes in Townsville, which is outside the actual impact zone, but within the the tear thing to pieces winds. here is the map of of the area. My son has a safe room below the house with everything there ready - beds, lamp, food/water etc. But it is still a worry.
    ~Mosaic
    Dance is like glitter, it not only colours your life, it makes you sparkle, you find it everywhere and in everything and it's near impossible to get rid of. (unknown)

Post Thanks / Like

I will say some prayers for them specially, Mosaic. I grew up in hurricane country and remember the fear and dread of hearing the wind whine and seeing the tide rise, but never experienced anything like Yasi.

We're ten degrees above zero today (-12C) and it feels great. My son called from the northern part of the state and said their temps fell to -46F (-44C) last night not counting the wind chill factor. The eastern part of the country is still getting hammered- glad we're on the far edge of the mess.

The ground hog saw his shadow today so looks like six more weeks of winter for us. Of course, in Wyoming only six more weeks of winter would still give us an early spring.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Shan, I sat up watching the live streaming news until 1.30am. Electricity is out all along the coast and may be for quite sometime. No reports of loss of life or severe injuries & a baby girl was born early this morning in an evacuation centre, so blessings all round. My son and his family are all OK, they lost there fences and a lovely big old tree in the back garden, some neighbouring houses have lost their roofs and trees are totally denuded or torn rightout of the ground. Steve doesn't know what other parts of the area are like he hasn't been out. They are all exhausted and are catching up on a bit of sleep now. The Cyclone is down to a slow moving cat 3 now, and further inland so still nasty. The sugar, banana etc plantations are devastated. We will know more as the authorities get out and about to check on damage throughout the region.

I am quite relieved that my son & family are all OK. I can breathe again

As for your weather, are you sure you are not living in the arctic? Sounds positively bone breaking cold Brrrrr. I'm shivering just at the thought.

Found the comparison chart of yasi with Katrina (below), quite interesting.
    ~Mosaic
    Dance is like glitter, it not only colours your life, it makes you sparkle, you find it everywhere and in everything and it's near impossible to get rid of. (unknown)

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the update, Mosaic. Your story is being followed eagerly on the biker forum I belong to. A couple of our members live in Oz and have not been heard from recently.

No, it is not the arctic, but it feels like it sometimes when the air comes straight out of Canda at us. When I was a little girl in Texas, we used to get cold air msses from Canada that we called "blue northers." A strong one could drop temps fifty degrees in seconds. My dad used to say "there is nothing between Texas and the North Pole but a barbwire fence- and it's down."
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

Your biker friends probably don't have electricity so can't access the internet, they may also be somewhere safe. Hopefully they will be able to post later today. Yasi has dropped to a cat 2, so it is dying thank goodness.

Love your Dad's saying
    ~Mosaic

Post Thanks / Like

Yasi is the biggest cyclone to hit Oz in about 100 years, Mission Beach the hardest hit area and I heard on abc news about 70 houses totally smashed.
    No lives lost so far in fact 3 babies born, one in an emergency shelter.
    another threat was the king tides at the same time and a tidal surge is still a threat. The other threat is more flooding for parts of Qsld. as the storm water has to go somewhere. Poor queenslanders have had it rough this year.
    our food prices will most likely go up too as crops are destroyed.

Post Thanks / Like

So glad the winds are dying Mosaic, that just sounds scary for anyone there.

Here? Temperatures of 11F/-11C expected tonight. This is a freaking desert! Normally it does NOT get this cold!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ariadne View Post
    So glad the winds are dying Mosaic, that just sounds scary for anyone there.

Here? Temperatures of 11F/-11C expected tonight. This is a freaking desert! Normally it does NOT get this cold!
    What State do you live in Ariadne? These snow storms/cold spells sounds so freakish.

Before Christmas I purchased some pants from Sharifwear, but they were way too big, so I returned them, they took an age to get back to them due to the snow storms around New Year. They finally got them and I have been waiting for nearly 3 weeks for them to get back to the store in long Island I believe, so they can send replacements! Seems crazy no one can get into work and go to the post office. I know L Is in not near you, but am just wondering about how far reaching the blizzards are.
    ~Mosaic

Post Thanks / Like

I live in the SW corner of Utah. We actually have our own seperate climate here. If you do gardening we're a zone 10 if that makes sense.

When I want to explain where I live I usually ask people if they watch the weather channel and ever notice how when a storm clound moves south or north when it hits the corner of Utah it opens up and then closes again leaving this little spot in the middle with no clouds? I live under that spot. The weather literally goes around us usually.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast