Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

We've got:
    "Maart roert zijn staart" en "April doet wat hij wil"
    meaning something like: March will always surprise you or March roars (literally: moves his tail) and April does what it wants

Post Thanks / Like

I woke up to to an outdoor temperature of -33 C (app. -27 F) early yesterday morning (today it was only -24 C/-11F). The sun hadn't risen yet and the sky was filled with bright shining stars. Of course these low outside temperature also affects the indoor temperature. I would usually sleep a little longer than I did, but my arm was so freezing cold not being covered by the blanket that I couldn't sleep anymore. It was so damn cold when I pulled in to warm it that it kept me awake further on as well.
    --
    Daim.

Post Thanks / Like

My husband says he moved from North Dakota to Wyoming because the winters are milder here. I've often wondered if his Norwegian ancestors thought North Dakota winters were mild- and light!- when compared to Norways. I'd love to go to Norway, but in the summer, please!

Snowy, cold and gray here today- but not below zero!
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shanazel View Post
    My husband says he moved from North Dakota to Wyoming because the winters are milder here. I've often wondered if his Norwegian ancestors thought North Dakota winters were mild- and light!- when compared to Norways. I'd love to go to Norway, but in the summer, please!
    I have no idea, but some of them probably felt at home there.
    Both the weather and climate in Norway depends highly on where in Norway you are. I spent this weekend in the Røros area, which is known to have low temperatures in winter, to visit the winter fair. Coastal areas have usually a milder climate due to the Gulf stream/North Atlantic Current and the Norwegian Current running along the shore.
    --
    Daim.

Post Thanks / Like

So much for it not being below zero. I think it's in the process of dipping down as the sun sets. Was two F about half an hour ago Horrible driving conditions- we stayed in four wheel drive in town. My daughter and a friend went south and east of here today; she says roads are essentially dry where she is. Hope conditions here improve before they come home. I'm hoping I can get to the main road with no problem tomorrow since I have a 10:00 appointment, but I dunno.

Thanks for the sites, Daimona. I'll enjoy reading through them.
    Last edited by Shanazel; 02-21-2011 at 12:54 AM.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

So much for it not being below zero. I think it's in the process of dipping down as the sun sets. Was two F about half an hour ago Horrible driving conditions- we stayed in four wheel drive in town. My daughter and a friend went south and east of here today; she says roads are essentially dry where she is. Hope conditions here improve before they come home. I'm hoping I can get to the main road with no problem tomorrow since I have a 10:00 appointment, but I dunno.

Thanks for the sites, Daimona. I'll enjoy reading through them.
    Yikes! your weather sounds totally miserable, I shiver just thinking about it! It's 18C (around 64F in your language) & I am grumbling and complaining about it being cold.
    ~Mosaic
    Dance is like glitter, it not only colours your life, it makes you sparkle, you find it everywhere and in everything and it's near impossible to get rid of. (unknown)

Post Thanks / Like

Cold is relative, isn't it? When my mom was alive, she lived in Arkansas which is in the south and I lived in Wyoming which is further north and in the mountains to boot. Almost every phone conversation started with the weather. Once I asked how the weather was there and she said, "Oh, it is so cold, we are about to freeze to death. It is down to 40 degrees. How's the weather there?" I said, "It is wonderfully warm; we've put away the heavy coats. It's up to 40 degrees."

Post Thanks / Like

Cold is relative, isn't it? When my mom was alive, she lived in Arkansas which is in the south and I lived in Wyoming which is further north and in the mountains to boot. Almost every phone conversation started with the weather. Once I asked how the weather was there and she said, "Oh, it is so cold, we are about to freeze to death. It is down to 40 degrees. How's the weather there?" I said, "It is wonderfully warm; we've put away the heavy coats. It's up to 40 degrees."
    It certainly is relative to what you are used to, or what you are expecting to experience.

If you are used to/expecting 22 C or above, 20 might be chilly and 18 will feel cold, but if you're expecting 14-16 C and the temperature actually rises to 18, I'm pretty sure it will feel warm as well..
    --
    Daim.

Post Thanks / Like

My daughter said that the weatherman had called for snow today, but it's a nice, sunny 55. Thank goodness the weatherman was wrong!

Post Thanks / Like

Snowy, cold and gray here today- but not below zero!
    I think North Dakota has the worst winters in the U.S. with Minnesota second. However, here in Chitown we have a killer windchill which brings everything down at least 10-15 more degrees. There is also a double entendre for calling it the windy city, however, the politicians blow a lot of HOT AIR which doesn't help much in the winter

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast