2011 weather thread

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Oh no your poor friend - she will have 2 very hot sunny days through this coming week, but the rest of the week is pretty lousy & stormy.

Here are some hail damage & storm photos from Christmas day 2011 storm
~Mosaic

Daimona

Mosaic: Those pics makes me want to swear (in German).. I hope the damage is only one material stuff, and there haven't been any lives lost...

I found a video of a supply ship being hit by a wave this afternoon at the North Sea: Wave hitting Volstad Supplier (warning: Strong language used in the video..;))

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Mosaic: Those pics makes me want to swear (in German).. I hope the damage is only one material stuff, and there haven't been any lives lost...

I found a video of a supply ship being hit by a wave this afternoon at the North Sea: Wave hitting Volstad Supplier (warning: Strong language used in the video..;))
WOW! that is scary!, It would give you one huge fright!

As for our storm - it is just material damage, some houses had roof collapses from all the water, what a way to spend Christmas day. my brother-in-laws house had water run into his dining room & family room, so they are cleaning up the mess right now. It isn't too bad thank goodness, it has ruined a beautiful floor rug, but seems the furniture is OK. One family were eating Xmas dinner when the roof in their lounge collapsed behind them, that would totally ruin a beautiful Xmas dinner & the rest of the day, the poor things. Lucky no one was hurt.
~Mosaic

indrayu

Daimona, I hope you all survive the winds intact. We have storms and cyclones (watching from a safe distance at my mother's home at the moment) but at least the weather isn't life-threateningly cold on even a calm day.

So you had a white Christmas, Mosaic! What bad luck for those affected. Hope all is calm now!

indrayu

Well, hopes aren't quite enough. Just saw on the TV news, more flash flooding in Melbourne. A woman had to swim over fences and carports when her car was suddenly submerged and half a metre deep water crashing through someone's dining room window.

Shanazel

Oh, my goodness, poor Australia. What a way to spend Christmas.

Ummm, I hesitate to admit we had perfect weather for Christmas: cold (about 37 degrees F), crisp bright air, and no wind until tonight. My husband, daughter, and I saddled up three of the horses and went for a ride in the foothills of Casper Mountain this afternoon. There was just enough snow left on the ground to make it look seasonal and give the horses something to plow through once in a while.

My daughter is supposed to catch a plane out of Denver to San Diego on the 5th of January to go to her boyfriend's graduation from Marine bootcamp. It is a five hour trip to drive her to Denver so I hope the weather is good then and when she flies home on the 7th. It could be anything from the annual January thaw to a howling blizzard. At least perhaps there will be no cyclone, though I wouldn't bet on it. Cities like Denver that are located between the Great Plains and Rocky Mountains have some of the worst weather in the country.

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Daimona, I hope you all survive the winds intact. We have storms and cyclones (watching from a safe distance at my mother's home at the moment) but at least the weather isn't life-threateningly cold on even a calm day.

So you had a white Christmas, Mosaic! What bad luck for those affected. Hope all is calm now!
Parts of Melbourne certainly had a white Christmas, we just got black dark menacing skies with huge sky to ground lightening and buckets and buckets of pounding rain. It has been calm here in my part of Melbourne today:D
~Mosaic

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Well, hopes aren't quite enough. Just saw on the TV news, more flash flooding in Melbourne. A woman had to swim over fences and carports when her car was suddenly submerged and half a metre deep water crashing through someone's dining room window.
Gosh I must watch the news, storms must be hitting the North of Melbourne, maybe our rain clouds decided to scud off to the other side of melb & dump their mess there.
~Mosaic

Daimona

We've had a rather calm day today, but there will be a new storm again this evening and night at the coast, though less strong than the one last night. Which is good, because several met stations measured the highest wind speeds ever measured in Norway and some of them have probably been washed to the sea (they don't report anymore).

No lifes lost in Norway (but the same storm caused 1 death in Finland when a tree fell over a man cleaning his garden), but it was pretty close. Some lucky persons must have had guardian angels when they where out yesterday, such as the guy driving along the pier after checking his boat. The wave took his car shoveling it from side to side, and he stopped only 3 m from the edge. From the video he filmed while in the car clearly, you can hear him telling that the road disappears in front of him. He is clearly lucky to be alive, because when he opened the door to get out, a new wave filled his car with seawater and he and his dog nearly drowned until the rescue team got to him.

We still don't have an overview of all the damages (which of course are tiny if you compare to the Katharina storm or the Japanese tsunami, but on the other hand we are a small country), as large parts of the areas that was hit hardest have been without electricity and telecommunication the last 24h and probably will be at least untill tomorrow (it might even be longer).

Here are some pics:
(pretty high waves)
(this boat has been washed from its place on sea to several meters up on shore)
(the car alone weighs more than 1 tonne, and the tree..)

More pics:
(bloody stupid, bud lucky guy who survived)
Lucky this three wasn't a person - because that person would have been decapitated as the metal plate is 15 cm into the wood...
A trailer hanger resting on a three and electric wires..
yeah.. this used to be a house..
A previous home..

Last edited:

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Oh my goodness Daim, with boats and cars swept to places they shouldn't be, that storm must've been terribly scary. Hope it has abated and calm restored. What a Christmas for you - such horrid weather at both ends of the planet.
~Mosaic

Daimona

I added some more pictures to my post above.

The weather is much calmer now, but several areas still suffer from the damage and after effects. Large areas are still without electricity and telecommunication, and apart from the direct damages the wind and waves caused, indirect causes like land slides etc are common. At least one person is dead because he couldn't get to hospital in time as the roads were blocked and phone lines were down (no mobile network either, so we're praying that there are no need for emergency calls for those areas untill it is back).

Mosaic

Super Moderator
I added some more pictures to my post above.

The weather is much calmer now, but several areas still suffer from the damage and after effects. Large areas are still without electricity and telecommunication, and apart from the direct damages the wind and waves caused, indirect causes like land slides etc are common. At least one person is dead because he couldn't get to hospital in time as the roads were blocked and phone lines were down (no mobile network either, so we're praying that there are no need for emergency calls for those areas untill it is back).
I saw some footage of the storm on the news last night, it is a ferocious one that is for sure, glad things are calming down.

We have a clear blue sky today, a chill in the air, more like spring weather than an Aussie summer, but certainly better than storms. Blue skies 7 sunlight always make you feel better I think:D
~Mosaic

Shanazel

What ghastly weather for Christmas. I'll keep my fingers crossed and hopes honed for a better new year for you all.

Ariadne

After looking at what has happened elsewhere I feel very blessed to have had a rather uneventful Christmas.

Keep safe Diamona and all else in Norway, Australia, and New Zealand.

Greek Bonfire

We are getting quite a reprieve in Chicago. Everyday except two days in December were above freezing, and snow has been mostly a dusting, with more rain instead. It feels like a charmed winter life here but it feels sooooo good after the very harsh winters we have suffered here in recent years past.

Shanazel

It was almost 50 degrees here today but the wind was howling. I thought about taking a ride but riding in a high wind is not a lot of fun. My horse can't hear me talk to her and if she's going to get spooky it'll be when the wind is howling.

Guess it is about time to change to the 2012 Weather Thread, hmm?

Ariadne

Last day. :)

It's been surprisingly warm here over the holidays after being abnormally cold for 2+ months. We had January type cold fronts and now it feels like March... go figure. It's been weird having actual seasons this year. Being in a desert normally it's just hot or frigid (and sometimes on the same day).