2011 weather thread

Mosaic

Super Moderator
WOW! if you are having extreme cold in that part of Utah, that is really weird!
~Mosaic

Ariadne

Usually we're heading into spring in the next couple of weeks... somehow I don't think that is happening this year. It went cold early too by about 2-3 weeks.

Yeah it is weird.

Not really happy about it. I like living somewhere warm!

Greek Bonfire

Here in Chicago we had over 20 inches of snow in 12 hours. Before that, we had a blizzard - the snow was literally travelling sideways with winds up to 70 mph. We lost power for 11 hours and that was tough, as we couldn't even get out of the house to seek shelter elsewhere until we dug ourselves out. That took all day. I can't type too much because my fingers still ache. Between my hips and neck, every muscle has been strained as I spent about seven hours on and off just digging myself out of the snow so I could leave the house to get gas and Heet because now the temperature is in the frigid numbers. Luckily, my car didn't get stranded on Lake Shore Drive, and the power came back on as soon as it did. In fact, just about half the country has been close to being paralyzed by this recent storm, and another one is on the way to the remaining states that didn't get hit in the past two days.

Ground hog? He couldn't even get outside!

seona

I thought it was just the British who loved to talk about the weather lol!
Wow Fotia, 70mph of snowy wind :shok: In my minds eye I picture you tunneling out of an igloo! :lol: stay warm!

Darshiva

We're having flash flooding where I live at the moment. My fundraiser for the Qld floods was flooded out! Oh the irony! Still managed to raise a few dollars despite having a very small turnout.

Greek Bonfire

I thought it was just the British who loved to talk about the weather lol!
Wow Fotia, 70mph of snowy wind :shok: In my minds eye I picture you tunneling out of an igloo! :lol: stay warm!

We have more snow on the way Sunday into Monday. Nothing like what we just had, but enough to bring out the snow blowers. Then frigid cold again.

Darshiva, we had flash floods last summer so I know what you are going through. If you have any high winds, it gets really frightening.

Mosaic

Super Moderator
The tail end of cyclones Anthony & Yasi ( super storm rain cells with thunder & lightening) have been lashing the State of Victoria and severe water damage and flooding is going on, with people caught in sudden downpours having to be rescued. Some poor guy in a wheelchair in a suburb not far from me was rescued as water rose past his waist and another girl walking home from a night out it seems was suddenly sweep away caught a tree branch and was rescued from there. The weather is just totally insane. Seems we can expect a continuance of this stormy weather for the next 24 hrs. The planet's weather systems have gone bonkers!
~Mosaic

Greek Bonfire

The tail end of cyclones Anthony & Yasi ( super storm rain cells with thunder & lightening) have been lashing the State of Victoria and severe water damage and flooding is going on, with people caught in sudden downpours having to be rescued. Some poor guy in a wheelchair in a suburb not far from me was rescued as water rose past his waist and another girl walking home from a night out it seems was suddenly sweep away caught a tree branch and was rescued from there. The weather is just totally insane. Seems we can expect a continuance of this stormy weather for the next 24 hrs. The planet's weather systems have gone bonkers!
~Mosaic

Wow! I haven't heard of anything that bad since Hurricane Katrina here in New Orleans in 2005! Be safe.

indrayu

I can't believe that people actually live year-round in places as cold as you in North America describe! The power has been off for a few hours at a time here in the last day, but it isn't anything like a life-threatening situation. I like it actually: nice and quiet, an excuse to enjoy candlelight (as long as it comes back on before things in the fridge go off!)

Here it's rainrainrain wind rainrain.

Usually at this time of year there are storms that roll in with winds anywhere from 40-100 kilometers per hour, dumping 30-40 mm rain in 20 minutes, then we steam for a few hours or a day until the next one. Multiply the rainfall by20 in the last two days! Conditions like a monsoonal storm that just haven't stopped, turned into a low-level cyclone. Because the ground is already saturated, there has been some flooding of houses and road closures in a place that usually can handle a downpour.

I went to my byfriend's place for dinner last night, dodging fallen trees and roads axel-deep in water. Dinner was well and truly overdone by the time I got there. As water seeped in uncontrollably, I helped get electrical powerboards off the floor then decided I'd better get back to my own place. Lots of stalled cars in one spot on the way back, but my older car with less electrics to get wet was fine.

Went to put some rubbish out this afternoon and saw one of the goldfish from the pond swimming off towards the garden path and back gate! Hopefully, the little dam I made from prunings and debris will stop its explorations!

So, work for many cancelled today and tomorrow, some service stations run out of fuel (don't know what people intend, there's only one road out of town and one accident or bridge closed and they'll all be stuck), pubs and supermarkets closed early but bottle shops doing a brisk trade, most of us are settled in at home to enjoy the weather!

Shanazel

It was a gorgegous 58F morning and I planned to go riding this afternoon- but up comes the wind, dropping the apparent temperature and ruffling my feathers. Guess I'll clean stalls and massage horses instead. Saturday morning I was still up at 4:30 working on seminar proposals. The wind was so bad that it was scary, and this is the land of big wind. I honestly feared my studio windows were going to blow out. Thank "Hank" for building a house meant to withstand ale force winds!
(That's like gale force, but just enough stronger to make one take to drink.;))

I read your tale of Oz weather with interest, Indrayu. We don't get much rain here, but when it does rain, it often pours down in wagonloads. Can't imagine getting storms like that one after the other.

indrayu

We all enjoy the wet season when there's some action weather-wise. For 6-8 months all that happens is the sun rises and sets. There used to be a local weatherman on TV who became nationally famous for his jokey presentations, wearing costumes, reading limericks, anything except stand there and say "Fine and sunny with an afternoon sea breeze, 33 degrees (Celsius)" day after day.

Darshiva

That nails it. You're definitely from Darwin. I knew because a friend of mine was giving the same weather reports but there's only one place in Australia with that particular weather report for approximately six months on end!

Farasha Hanem

The snow here has just about all melted off, except for a few piles here and there that had been plowed. Thank goodness. I'd had enough of Snowpocalypse 2011! :rolleyes:

Shanazel

Don't talk to me about snow. All these four letter words you people use- tsk. It was a gorgeous, clear as a bell, sunshiny day today- with temps that barely got above freezing and a wind that never dropped below about 25 mph. It was even too cold for my daughter to go riding and that is cold. Of course, she wore sandals all day because after all the sun WAS shining.:lol:

Jane

Cold-ish again today. 11F (-11C) and overcast with a fifty percent chance of snow. Workmen can't come finish putting in my garage ceiling today, too cold for them to work out there :(

Shanazel

Sometimes I wonder who is manning the weather station here. On line report tells me it is a clear, sunny, relatively calm 48 degrees outside. My eyes and thermometer tell me it is a gray day with temps to shiver one's timbers and wind to blow the hair off one's head. I have to go let the horses out and am cold just thinking of it.

Rue Sailmana

After a few weeks of 13 C, it was -2 C again today... Way to cold all of a sudden... I was just getting used to the idea of an early spring ;)

Shanazel

In The Netherlands do you have the expression "If March comes in like a lion it will go out like a lamb" and vice versa?