Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

So how long have you been dancing? Solo dancing and troupe dancing are very different. A GOOD sol will be much more complex and I would expect to see less repetition, much less use of 8 of this 4 of that - although agreed good troupes don't do that all the time. Basically, a troupe needs a simpler structure to the dance to allow the group to develop precision. Added interest then comes from floor patterns, and group shapes and interactions. The options for floor patterns ansd their effect in a solo is much more limited - but there is much more scope for individual expression, for mood, and possibility for variation. Even if you choreograph to the last smile - you have the ability to forget what you planned and to improvise so that no one notices. In a troupe they will notice

Post Thanks / Like

It sounds like quite a serious troupe having a dance studio and directors involved what are they trying to achieve, a BDSS type group for theatre shows or something? Hope you don't mind me asking, I can understand if you can't/don't want to say I'm just curious.

Yes, this is exactly how I've felt, this is also part of my frustration, our group number appears to be changing, we are now adding new members, and they range from different levels, although I feel there are a few beginners mixed in there and shouldn't be, not to sound mean or anything, on the contrary, I don't think it's fair to them, I feel bad, when they get yelled at, some people are just not very coordinated enough, and keep making the same mistakes over and over again, no matter how many times you rehearse, and the choreographies are very very nice, but at times can be quite complex, a lot of turns and movements that are difficult for some of these people. It just doesn't feel right to demand so much from them! And then at the same time, it takes away from the others because so much time is spent teaching technique when we should be going over the routine. Arrggghhhhh!!! what a mess!!!

Thank you, this is a great idea, the studio does give us opportunities to do solos every once in a while, I also have a friend that is planning on visiting a senior center, maybe I can duet with her! We've been talking about doing our own thing just in case it doesn't work out here! lol thanks so much!

thank you all so much, this really really helps, after thinking about it, I'm going to stick it out a little longer, see what happens, we have some new people who have joined our troupe, so we'll see how it goes! But in the meantime, will look into starting my "solo" career at the studio functions. I've been dancing for several years, but have just joined this troupe last year, and it didn't seem like things were working out the way I expected..But again, I guess that's life, lol, I just have to roll with the punches and take up the new opportunities as they come.

Thank you all again, this is very informative!
    Last edited by Shanazel; 02-09-2011 at 07:32 AM. Reason: merge posts

Post Thanks / Like

Here's my own question about this....I dance with my teacher and some of the other advanced students...now we perform together here and there at events and my teacher always welcomes us to do every gig she gets with her...I just wonder if it would be rude of me to look for solo gigs sometimes for myself without bringing them into the mix? I have nothing against dancing with them but I'd like to be able to perform solo choreography sometimes and maybe get paid more, without splitting the money or something....

..does that seem rude of me to do that and expect them to still include me in their group dances?

I have no intention of seeking solo work presently but in the future who knows...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CottonAnatomy View Post
    Here's my own question about this....I dance with my teacher and some of the other advanced students...now we perform together here and there at events and my teacher always welcomes us to do every gig she gets with her...I just wonder if it would be rude of me to look for solo gigs sometimes for myself without bringing them into the mix? I have nothing against dancing with them but I'd like to be able to perform solo choreography sometimes and maybe get paid more, without splitting the money or something....

..does that seem rude of me to do that and expect them to still include me in their group dances?

I have no intention of seeking solo work presently but in the future who knows...
    I think if you have the skill level and resources to start doing paid solo gigs, you should go for it, but on your own and keep the group stuff totally separate.

I'd ask your teacher for input on your readiness and then compare yourself honestly with other dancers doing pro gigs in your area. Your teacher may not include you anymore in her student group because by going solo you might have outgrown it, so be prepared to take it as a compliment! Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

There is a lot to think about when you are trying to choose doing troupe work or go solo.

Troupe advantages:
    1. You get a lot of community gigs and exposure.
    2. There is a great bond in working together.
    3. Staging and choreographing for groups is fun and interesting.
    4. Safety in numbers, it's a great way to start public dancing without being terrified.
    5. You don't have to make all the decisions and do all the work alone.
    6. You get pushed to try new things that you might not usually be interested in.

The flip side of troupes:
    1. Community gigs don't pay much, if anything at all.
    2. Exposure does not necessarily lead to good or well payed gigs.
    3. There can be tension and personality conflicts in the group.
    4. You aren't the star.
    5. You have to dance at the level of the least skilled dancer.
    6. You have to do what the troupe wants, not what you want.
    7. Being nailed down to a rigid schedule.
    8. Some venues are not suited to troupes.

Soloist advantages:
    1. Better paying gigs generally.
    2. Pick and choose your venues, costumes, style, music, etc.
    3. Personal creativity and freedom to dance in the moment.
    4. No personality conflicts.
    5. Showcase your skill without worrying about others.
    6. Set your own schedule.
    7. You are the star.

The flip side of soloists:
    1. You are on your own. Completely.

Do you prefer Solo

or Troupe?

Post Thanks / Like

Now Jane, I prefer YOUR Solo!

Post Thanks / Like

Mr. Ford is a handsome fellow.

Did you ever hear of the belly dancer who was asked to only dance solo? So-low you can't see her!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12