A noob question!!!!

From what I understand, Americn Cabaret, Tribal and Turkish dancers will use zills more than Egyptian dancers. Sadly, not many teachers use zills and don't pass on this skill.
Yasmine

Shanazel

I confess, I am an amcab teacher, and I am not passing on the zil tradition unless you count sending interested students to another teacher in town that loves the clattering little things. I used to take a fair amount of flack in the late seventies and early eighties for not dancing with them unless they were specifically requested by a client, but their popularity seems to have died down a bit. Thank goodness. I admire the skill involved, I can indeed play them- but it just makes me nuts to dance with them.

Tiffany

i just found out that The teacher i hope to be learning from teaches eygption style belly dance with the zills :dance: im so excited!!!!

Gia al Qamar

I teach Arabic nightclub style and am tickled to teach zills to my students! Aside from the tradition and the expectation of most audiences (in these parts at least), I find that the zills have saved my hip scarf more than once when music has failed (cd trashed, electric went out etc) and I was able to continue dancing because I could play!
Gia