Hitting 'the wall'

gwinity

Have you ever hit 'the wall' ? You know, that point where your head wants to dance but your muscles simply won't respond? How have you overcome it? Did you take a break, or did you fight through it?

The last couple of weeks in class I've lost all co-ordination and my shimmies (which I was quite pleased with) aren't happening at all. Most upsetting. It's summer break now, and I want to be fit for next term - How can I keep dancing when I want to dance, but my body won't!

Let it go girl. Your body is telling you something so take the time to listen. Maybe you can involve yourself in other activites until the motivation returns.
Yasmine

Tiffany

Not sure if i know what you mean but....

do you have a mental block?? if so you will eventually over come it...sadly i get mental blocks all the time:confused:(being in so many challenging athletics) but i find if i try not to think about it so much and possibly take a small brake(by small brake i mean a week or so) my body will obey me agian ;) what ever you do, dont give up!!!

Mouse

I came across the same sort of thing recently. In my case I think it was just physical tiredness/exhaustion. I'd been pushing myself fairly hard and I think my body just decided enough was enough and started to rebell. My arms were like lead (snake arms became floppy wavy things), I was less fluid and I was having to push myself through even the simplest movements. I didn't stop dancing, but backed off the hours I was doing and made a point of eating right and getting enough sleep (something I don't normally do). It took me about a week, but things did go back to normal

Gabi

It varies. Sometimes I have to leave it alone for awhile and sometimes I just spaz through it. I think the difference is if the frustration level is growing it's time to leave it for a bit.

Saanura

This has definitely happened to me a few times in the past. I've found that at certain points before I can progress and improve I tend to go through a period of frustration. Then all of a sudden I "get" it and I can't understand what my problem was. In that case, thinking back, it was almost like I had to just let go of it and just let it happen and then it worked.

Safran

I agree with others, Qwinity... Sometimes your body just needs to take a break. Take a week or so off dancing, that won't be too destructive to staying in "shape". And then, start again slowly to see how your body responds and then gradually build up to your regular routine.

If you feel like missing a week of dancing would be such a loss (I know how it feels ;) ) then try to compensate it with other things instead - catch up on reading and researching about something dance-related, watch videos etc. You can also take the time to think about what you want to achieve next in your dancing (this idea is fully inspired by Aziyade's structural approach to home practising she presented here :) ). If you still feel like doing something physical, go for a long walk in the nature... or even better, go swimming. Swimming always does miracles for me.

I am sure you'll come through it just fine and your shimmies will be back in no time!

Gia al Qamar

Your body needs to be acknowledged. After you've rested and replenished...turn on OTHER music...not Middle Eastern...something totally off the beaten path that you love.
And dance.
Then rest some more.
Then return to what you crave...
Gia

Shanazel

In children, there is a phenomenon called equilibrium/disequilibrium. When a child is learning a new skill, such as walking, the child is in a state of disequilibrium, struggling to learn, with all the frustrations and discomfort that goes along with growth. Once the skill is achieved, the child enters a period of equilibrium, which is relatively comfortable (and in the case of my children, their dispositions improved). The equilibrium lasts about six months, at which point the next level of learning begins and it's disequilibrium and temper tantrums all over again.

I have noticed in myself that though the time periods are longer than six months, I still go through periods of equilibrium/disequilibrium whether I am writing, dancing, doing art, or just struggling with my less attractive personality traits. I think hitting the wall is just a way of settling in for your next big leap in skill and knowledge, and the hints given by others here are excellent ways of preparing for the leap.

Kharmine

I've experienced this when I'm tired and feel like I'm in a rut -- the things I simply did automatically suddenly seem clumsy and take more focus. One reason I've found for this occasionally is a lack of iron, or not enough consistent sleep quality.

If you haven't had a general medical checkup in a couple of years, you might consider getting one. Some problems only show subtle symptoms that are hard to pin down. I had a boyfriend who was young and healthy but suddenly started experiencing problems with balance -- turned out he had an ear infection that didn't give him any pain but was affecting him otherwise.

And if nothing else, get a massage. It'll help undo any kinks, physically and mentally.

miss_shimmy

i think

I think your body often needs what I call an ''incubation''period..then when you go back to your move...it comes so easy.

I hope your shimmy comes home soon :)

gwinity

*hug* Thanks ladies. :) I think maybe you're right: a couple of weeks of sloth and a full-body-massage (or two) should do the trick. I've still got a month before class starts again.