Newbie alert (=

Cyriine

Hii,

I'm new and I love bellydancing.

I get a lot of 'stripper' remarks from my peers so I don't actually have anyone to share my passion with and this really is my life, I love to dance.

My favourite dancer is Didem.

My favourite bands are Dead Can Dance and Cky.

So it's nice to meet you,:)

Last edited:

Mosaic

Super Moderator
to the forum. Glad you found your way here, you will find lots of happy dancers to discus your passion with:D
~Mosaic

LadyLoba

Hello and welcome...

Yes, the stripper comments are unfortunate. Im a lot older than you...35 almost 36...and people my age still ask me if I strip or ask things like "Once you've mastered belly dancing are you going to move up to pole dancing?"

Nobody really knows the exact origins of belly dance and there have been heated arguments over whether or not it is sexy, sensual, etc and what is the appropriate amount of sexuality or sexiness to infuse into a look, performance, etc. But it is definitely not a form of stripping...and anyone who sees a belly dancer strip is watching a stripper who decided to use a belly dance theme for her show, not a belly dancer.

Not having your family's support must be tough...but I understand that, as I too had very strict parents.

Cyriine

@Belly Love: Thank you (=

Hello and welcome...

Yes, the stripper comments are unfortunate. Im a lot older than you...35 almost 36...and people my age still ask me if I strip or ask things like "Once you've mastered belly dancing are you going to move up to pole dancing?"

Nobody really knows the exact origins of belly dance and there have been heated arguments over whether or not it is sexy, sensual, etc and what is the appropriate amount of sexuality or sexiness to infuse into a look, performance, etc. But it is definitely not a form of stripping...and anyone who sees a belly dancer strip is watching a stripper who decided to use a belly dance theme for her show, not a belly dancer.

Not having your family's support must be tough...but I understand that, as I too had very strict parents.

Hey Thanks,

Yeah the stripper comments get tiring, they look at the outfits that I wear and automatically think it's free reign for the sleazy comments and seedy reputation they want to give me. If they'd actually see a bellydancer with an open mind and not with a judgment already formed, they'd realize how beautiful it is and it isn't seedy at all.

My parents are strict and afraid of western influences completely eradicating our Indian culture. The majority of the South Asian community is like that no matter where they are in the world. But still, I know what my heritage is but as a girl who was born and raised in England I take the best of both cultures, unfortunately my parents don't understand how that's possible.