Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Dyslexia and learning.

I have moderate dyslexia and have problems with sequences (esspecially if they are said quickly) and my right and left. I have been trying to work on Rachle Brice's Serpintine, most of it is okay but sometimes it is NOT dyslexia friendly. Right left right, left right left while going up or down fast sequence said very fast and in opposite because she is facing the camera AAHHHH!!! By the time I have worked it out she has already moved up to full speed. I like the DvD but it is certainly proving challenging. I have used the rewind button more than usual. Its very hard to keep up. So wondering, are any of you dyslexic? How did you get over the complex fast right and left combos and the fact they are doing it opposite to you on the screen? Did you just battle though it taking longer doing the moves or did you have a trick to help you?

Post Thanks / Like

Try popping a portable mirror in front of the tv so it reflects rachel & you can see it but preferably not your reflection (or you may end up more muddled. The mirror will reverse the image so what she's doing will correspond to what you're seeing.
    Bellydance in Kyabram!
    Skype classes a specialty.
    Email kyabrambellydance@gmail.com for more information.

Post Thanks / Like

I am not dyslexic, but I would probably have some difficulty in this situation. I think most people have trouble following someone who is in front of them, facing them, and NOT mirrorring what they are doing.

What I usually do when a DVD is recorded that way is just follow whatever the image is doing and ignore the direction prompts. For example if the person lifts her right arm, I will lift my arm that mirrors their right arm, which will be my left arm, even if she is telling me to lift my right. I'm not sure if that would still be confusing to you, though.

Post Thanks / Like

I am not dyslexic either but I do find it easier to always mirror the person who is demonstrating something to me. In fact, many instructors will do just that - they will tell you to move right while they are moving left.

Darshiva has a great suggestion for this too.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not dyslexic either...but I have some left/right confusion which doesn't help...and I seem to be blessed with an over-abundance of slow-twitch muscles...

I can figure it all out...but it takes me forever...longer than average...

Regardless of the reasons...I think you'll find yourself in good company!

Post Thanks / Like

Imeera, as a person with dyslexia, do you have any particular issues with any classroom instruction? I ask because I don't know if any of my students ARE dyslexic, but I never thought about how that would affect how I teach.

Do you have any insights on this? Maybe a "what I wish teachers knew about dyslexia" kind of post? I'm sure a lot of us would find it helpful, now or at some point in the future. Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like

I am seriously right /left challenged and have completely given up giving my students right/left directions. I point out east/north/west/south and use cardinal directions in class.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shanazel View Post
    I am seriously right /left challenged and have completely given up giving my students right/left directions. I point out east/north/west/south and use cardinal directions in class.
    LOL...I can do directions just fine too - and figure it out quickly ...but NOT left and right - that takes me forever...and it just doesn't make sense to me.

If I have to I'll write an L and an R on my hands...to speed things up a bit...

Post Thanks / Like

i have the problem of not being able to follow sequences - to paraphrase Eric morecombe - I know all of the moves - not necessarily in the right order.

One of my tchers says clockwise or ant-clockwise for turns. i have to imagine a clockface and then twist it into the corresponding orientation - by which time we've finished the routine. i prefer to turn across the body or to turn back - clear to me and the right/left challenged. It is also easier for me then to remember which way to turn first if we repeat the move facing in the opposite direction.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a weak verbal grasp of right & left ie the words take a while to process but I know what side my watch used to be on and I do the watch side/other side thing sometimes in my head. Basically if I hear someone going Right Left Left Right - I start on the correct foot (hip etc) and just listen for the changes - that is I used them for just timing prompts while dancing. If I get out of step it takes a while to slip back in. While actually learning I can work out what is needed and train my body.

This has all been made worse by teaching - ie facing the class I say "left" and move my right; back to class left is left again. But it does mean I learn all choreographies in mirror as well as straight.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast