backbends

Fire Lily

I just love the look. And some people can make them look so easy and graceful. But youu have to be carful how you enter it as not to cause any damage.
Any tips for safe backbends?

Fire Lily:think:

Gabi

Elongate the spine and maintain as much tuck as possible so the vertebrae don't compress so much, also working on as much arch as possible in the upper back can save much of the lower back.

Don't strain to get there - have something to hold on to until you have strength to hold it - cobra yoga pose is good and strength in the legs and abs is essential.

Then there's the old rub - practice practice practice :D

Mariesaffron

back bends

Are you familiar with " Rachel Brice Yoga and Trills video have to much yoga and little dancing" expression? Ok, that is what make the body flexible, YOGA, you got to start wirh one leg in from and one in the back, with your arm try to touch the leg that is back, you got to bend your knees too, do a lot of cobra positions first. Marie

Gia al Qamar

Additionally...work on strengthening abs and quads!!! STRONG thighs will help you balance as well as pull up out of the back bends...strong abs, strong back, strong thighs...
Gia

milky

I once heard someone hurt her lower back because of doing this move. She has never done any yoga before. And I think shoulder shimmying while doing backbend maybe put extra pression on her back,which hurt her back so badly.:think:

Fire Lily

Mmmm. You gotta be really careful. I wouldn't layer it with shoulder shimmies anyway. I'd just be focussed on getting that move done safely. And even then, i'd only do it it if I was really trying to impress, and if the surface I was dancing on was safe.
There was a recent post I read. About :wall: when it comes to being able to do some moves. That's what i get with backbends. So i'm trying to strengthen my legs with walking around the block everyday after work and some old ballet streaches.

Fire Lily

Fire Lily

Mariesaffron

Mariesaffron - Yes I am familier with Rachel's DVD. She's like, my idol! She was in Australia last month. And I was desperate to see her, but I had other arrangements I couldn't get out of. I heard she's comming out again in 2008. I'm already saving my money:dance: :clap: :lol:

Fire LIly

Mariesaffron

back bends

Yes, if you can go and see Rachel, however, remember her back bends are like, do not try this at home, they are beautyfull but take time to master, many dancer injure their back , Dina from Lebannon is just one of then. Marie

Fire Lily

I'm not a tribal dancer. I'd only go to watch her performance. She's phenomenal to watch. It's like that woman has no bones in her body:confused: Has to be all those years of yoga

Fire Lily

Gia al Qamar

So i'm trying to strengthen my legs with walking around the block everyday after work and some old ballet streaches.

Fire Lily

This is a good start...what you'll want to do are deep plie's with the feet shoulder width apart. I have my students go down to a count of 4, then up for 4, repeating 4 times. They on the next count of 4 down, we HOLD in a deep plie for a count of 4 and then rise just half way up, HOLDING for another count of 4 before rising and repeating. This will help strengthen your quads very efficently!
Gia

Last edited:

Shanazel

Then there is the pseudo-backbend, beloved of aging AmCab dancers everywhere. One foot in front of the other. Deep knee bend automatically tilts you backward without bending the back at all. Then drop shoulders and head back without involving mid or lower back. Tah-dah- looks remarkably nice, though not as dramatic as the real thing. To rise, roll head and shoulders back up as you straighten your knees.

Suhad

Yes, Shanazel, I love this one...I injured my back when I was still fighting fire full time, and this is about the best I can do now, even with yoga and weight training. And it looks quite lovely when done with drama and flair. I was even taught a way to come out of it like 'pulling up a zipper' using a reverse (down to up) undulation to come out of it.

I keep working on the full one, though. I can't go as far as I'd like but I can go much farther than I could right after my injury!

Shanazel

Ah, Suhad and Yasmine, I feel all warm and fuzzy now. I'm never sure how these old style things will be received. Thank you!