Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default New male dancer here

I am a 46 year old male. I just started belly dancing, and it feels great. As a teenager, I was not very coordinated and really disliked dancing. But, I had good individual muscle control. My mom took a belly dancing class and was trying to learn moves like head slides and belly undulation. I could just do them effortlessly.

I used to be naturally very thin, about 140-145 pounds at 6'3", and able to eat whatever I wanted. Eventually, my metabolism slowed down, and by age 45 I was up to 265 pounds. I started working to lose weight last year, and am now at 220 pounds. My wife encouraged me to start some form of exercise to work on my belly. I also wanted something that helps relieve stress, and not a mindless gym workout.

So, I decided to try following a few belly dance guides on YouTube. It felt very natural, and I realized that my coordination was far better than when I learned to dislike dance as a teenager. Now I am hooked. Belly dance is perfect for me. It exercises everywhere that my body needs it. It is also like "Chicken Soup for the Soul". And, I really don't care if some people thing male belly dancing is weird. Too many men are afraid of doing things that, as American men put it, "kind of gay".

I am just doing it for myself, but my teacher views belly dance as a cultural performance art. Dance is definitely a good thing to share, so I will probably be dancing with an audience before long. My next challenge is to work on some costumes.

Juno

Post Thanks / Like

Hi! I'm new to belly dance too, a couple years older than you. I've found through the little exposure I've had to belly dancing that you are absolutely right; it's a great all-over workout. I'm looking forward to some abdominal work, I've just started doing a few isolation-type moves found on Youtube. I'm not naturally very coordinated, so the hip figure 8's we're learning in class have been challenging enough but seems like a cake walk compared to the abdominal stuff.

We have a guy in our belly dance class, I think it's awesome

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MariaAZ View Post
    We have a guy in our belly dance class, I think it's awesome
    When I first started, I was worried that other women would feel uncomfortable and inhibited with a man in the class. So far, everyone seems comfortable. It really is not that different from ballet, where male dancers have been common for a long time. There is a strong sense of community. It is easy to see why people say that the Arts promote acceptance of diversity.

Juno

Post Thanks / Like

Juno great to hear that you have found the right form of 'exercise' for you and in doing so also the joy of the dance I look forward to hearing more about your journey as you progress.
    ~Mosaic
    Dance is like glitter, it not only colours your life, it makes you sparkle, you find it everywhere and in everything and it's near impossible to get rid of. (unknown)

Post Thanks / Like

welcome Juno, we are so happy to have you here, hey when you get to making costumes, let me know maybe I could give you some help with fabrics and easy fun ways to use what you've got around, I have been making my costumes for about ten years now.

Love joy dance

Post Thanks / Like

I'd love to have a male in any class that I took! Whenever they attended workshops I was at, it was really fun to have them! So get ready to be very much accepted by the other females in the class!

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum! Always great to have another dancer on the forums!! =D

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum Juno! Enjoy doing what you love and to heck with what people say- life is too short!

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum, new brother in dance!

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum and welcome to the dance. You've got a great attitude about it. I hope more guys will feel encouraged to follow your lead. As far as performing, don't worry about that now or feel that you have to do it. There are many aspects of the dance, performance is only one small part of that. In Egypt most guys and women for that matter, only dance socially, mostly in private. I think its great that your wife is into it too. Have fun dancing with and for each other at home. Would be great if the kids got in on it too!

Check out my youtube page at YouTube - 6969aaaaa's Channel. I've got videos of professional male dancing and tons more of social dancing filmed on location in Egypt, just check out my favorates section. Have a blast!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast