View Poll Results: Children Belly Dancing: Yay or Nay?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • Absolutely Fine!

15 23.81%
  • No Way!

3 4.76%
  • Sure in the Right Conditions.

45 71.43%
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Wow...so much to go through here...

First of all, I don't think any one mentioned yet Shira's take on it, you can find it in the Dear Shira section of her site: Dear Shira: Should Young Girls Belly Dance?

And she makes some good points, namely that although belly dance was originally a social and pretty much innocent art form, the movements can be interpreted as something else...which brings us to the perception vs. intention debate. I think we can argue all we want that bd should not be seen as sexual or even feminine (in the case of male dancers), however, can we really control the preconceived notions of our audiences?

The other thing that I thought about, which Shira also mentions, is the difference between dancing and performing. I think that's what made those mini adult girls give off an unsettling impression, because they were performing like adult women (someone else also mentioned this). The clip that Yame gave, to me, looked more like a young girl focusing on her dancing, and not so much performing to a crowd, IMO.

When I was a kid, there was a girl who did belly dancing (probably third grade age). Her mom also danced with a local troupe and occasionally, the girl would do a performance for a talent show and the like. I remember as a kid feeling very uncomfortable with her movements and costuming (not a bra, but showing her stomach). Not saying this was an enlightened or accepting view, just a kid's viewpoint.

On the other side, I think it's great to learn to dance, learn about your body and how to control it, embrace other cultures, and all the other many benefits of learning bd or any other dance, for that matter.

Post Thanks / Like

Found some videos that I thought interestingly show the differences in types of children belly dancers:

(wish I knew what the voice-over was saying!)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RahimaMJR View Post
    First of all, I don't think any one mentioned yet Shira's take on it, you can find it in the Dear Shira section of her site: Dear Shira: Should Young Girls Belly Dance?

And she makes some good points, namely that although belly dance was originally a social and pretty much innocent art form, the movements can be interpreted as something else...which brings us to the perception vs. intention debate. I think we can argue all we want that bd should not be seen as sexual or even feminine (in the case of male dancers), however, can we really control the preconceived notions of our audiences?
    I think that's the whole point. I used to go to the same bd school as a mother and daughter. The daughter, at 11, was a natural - marvellous hip movements and great musicality. In class, I never gave it a second thought - but when we started performing together at community fairs, it did start to concern me. At 11 years old, she was just old enough to be starting to develop, yet she was completely unconscious of how sexy some of her moves were. Perhaps because she was learning with adults, she had a very adult style and I couldn't help worrying what some of audience must be thinking.

I think it's great for children to learn belly dance - I especially liked my teacher's policy of allowing children to come to class with their mothers - but performing in public is something else, and if they do, choreography and costuming need careful consideration.

Post Thanks / Like

Its sad that it has come to this where our culture views belly dance as adult and sexually innapropriate but allows and finds it acceptable to allow our children to dress like hookers on Halloween and at school dances and such. And glorifies infidelity and promiscuity. Seems ass backwards to me. But I do believe in appropriate costumes and choreography for the ages. I've even seen some adults dress and dance inappropriately like somthig out of a strip club rather than actual belly dance. Then people get the common misconceptions from it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LuLu View Post
    Its sad that it has come to this where our culture views belly dance as adult and sexually innapropriate but allows and finds it acceptable to allow our children to dress like hookers on Halloween and at school dances and such. And glorifies infidelity and promiscuity. Seems ass backwards to me. But I do believe in appropriate costumes and choreography for the ages. I've even seen some adults dress and dance inappropriately like somthig out of a strip club rather than actual belly dance. Then people get the common misconceptions from it.
    This.

Post Thanks / Like

I just saw someone post this today and felt mixed feelings about it. It was interesting to read the comments in this thread. I thought the little girl very talented but I just didn't think her costume appropriate. Although a bare stomach shows off more of the movements, in my opinion I think it best for children to wear clothes with more coverage. I think then I will have no problem with children learning belly dance.

Post Thanks / Like

Awwww, that's the "pretty princess" of costumes. I will agree that another inch or two of fabric on the top would be preferred but that's a little girl playing dress up if I ever saw it. Her dancing is precocious instead of "little adult" too.

Same routine on stage:

Post Thanks / Like

She's really sweet, her dancing is awesome and her costume is fairly sedate for kids costumes. I agree about the top though, it could have been longer for my comfort too.
    Bellydance in Kyabram!
    Skype classes a specialty.
    Email kyabrambellydance@gmail.com for more information.

Post Thanks / Like

She's a beautiful little princess. Loved everything from head to toes to her wonderful little dance. I would be more worried of a teen wearing this outfit than this young girl .

Perverts see what they imagine no matter what the kids/teens wear.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678