Middle East Forum?

LunaXJJ

Just though it would be an interesting thing to add.

It'd be specifically for other aspects of ME culture, history, and present time.

Of course there's the off topic discussion, but that seems to me like an anything goes type forum, and I though this would be better as a separate forum.

Just a suggestion.

LunaXJJ

Now that you mention it, I realize I know little to nothing about ME cuisine.
Isn't they're food usually spicy? That's all I've heard about it, lol.

Cyriine

Isn't this Middle Eastern? A Lamb Tagine?

Yum.

~Diana~

AFK Moderator
I do belive there used to be or it was discussed at one point. Are you looking for just a section where they post but in english? I think the problem before was that the forum section wasn't written in english and many people here didn't know what they were talking about.

Then again I could be confusing it with another forum I used to be on...before it imploded on itself.

Dev

There were a few discussions that were in languages other than English. We had separate threads for Spanish , Dutch and Arabic and might be a few other languages which I cannot recall at this moment.

Members are allowed to start a thread in any language , although it restricts most of the members in this board to participate in such discussions.

LunaXJJ , This forum is all about Dance from, and inspired by, the Near and Middle East . If you specifically want to start a thread about a particular language or culture from the Middle East I am sure you can choose any of the sub forums in this board.

Regards

Dev

Tarik Sultan

Yum.

Thechnically, that's North African. Perhaps it should be better to name it the Middle East and North African forum. Subsections for culture, language, politics, cuisine. Just a thought:think:

Farasha Hanem

Thechnically, that's North African. Perhaps it should be better to name it the Middle East and North African forum. Subsections for culture, language, politics, cuisine. Just a thought:think:

:think: Come to think of it, shouldn't we just add, "North African" in our forum description?

Now that I've given it a bit more thought, it might be nice to have some sort of subsection forum where we can discuss food, customs, etc. The information might prove useful to those who would be new to travelling abroad to the Middle East and Africa. So long as we all make a point to not allow World War 793 break out, like a couple of years back. That almost drove me away for good. :(

It just hit me. A subforum would probably be nice, but if a person wanted, he or she could also start a discussion group on the topic of customs.

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Problem is if we have a ME/Nth African subforum, then eventually someone will want an area for say Mediterranean areas, and Turkey may want its own as no one seems to know if it is ME or Med and it could all get too messy.

We do have a social groups area see under community an ME or whatever group could be formed there, maybe form a recipe/food discussion group (I won't join .. I hate cooking with a passion:lol:). Not sure that it is used very much even though there are a few groups lists.

Oops just noticed Farasha mentioned the discussion groups:D
~Mosaic

Farasha Hanem

That's okay, Mosaic! :D Actually, a discussion group would be cool, if, as you mentioned, people would actually participate. I started a Bollywood discussion group recently, but haven't seen any activity yet, although one person did join (thank you! :D ). A recipe and/or customs discussion group does sound like fun! :D

Would you like to start one, Luna? I'll join if you do! :D

Ariadne

I don't really understand how the discussion groups work and I'm probably not the only one. Wouldn't a thread on cooking fit nicely in the "Other" forum? I've never noticed a lack of discussion on cultural relevance either. If someone wants to learn about these subjects why not just start a thread in a currant forum? I bet they would be really popular.

gisela

Super Moderator
Yes absolutely Ariadne. I remember several cooking threads and culture discussions (also those not so much related to the dance) comes up now and then. You don't need a special forum to discuss these things. Just put it in other or off topic.

masrawy

Yum.

Dear Cyriine,

This looks like couscous Moroccan/Algerian style to me .. it's yummy, I was introduced to it at the age of 20 when I went to Paris. Born and raised in Egypt never had it this way :shok:

Now I like to eat it both ways Egyptian style and Marrakesh style too. :)

Another note about Egyptian food it shouldn't be Indian spicy like hot or full of flavor.

don't take me wrong I like Indian food .. but to point!! :D

Cyriine

Oh shame, I didn't know there were different styles.

Yo Indian food can be lethal sometimes, if you ever get a chance to go to an Indian wedding you'll see how lethally spicy the food can be. The effects last a few days afterwards too if you know what i mean =[