What is a Femme Fatale

Greek Bonfire

I dunno. A guy who uses his beauty and charisma to get away with anything and leave bodies in the path while doing it is at best a jerk and at worst a sociopath, same as a woman doing the same.

I was referring to the woman who is assertive in her own life but who men call her a femme fatale, a ball buster, a beyatch, whatever, but never about a murdering psychopath type; I am in agreement with you there, Shanazel.

Ariadne

...and here I thought he was called a "Casanova". :think:

...wait, wait wait! Lothario. See they have names for the men too. ;)

Last edited:

Imeera

Femme Fatales I don't think exist anymore. They are "Gold Diggers" now. However I thought the Femme Fatale was a beautiful women, who used her charming beauty and wit to fool rich men into marrying them and then they kill them, no sex involved though there probably was sometimes but I like to think that they didn't for romancism (is that a word? xD) =p Though I don't actually know. These days however the gold diggers just get the man using sex, marry the man then divorce him after a while but probably cheating on him on the way. Less glamorous and more like a prostitute to be honest. At least Femme Fatales had style, class and respectability xD

I just watched the trailer for the DVD, it looks like a load of made up stuff with no historical basis on style or lifestyle. Especcially the "Victorian vampire" isn't that completely modern?? It looks like she just took what she liked and changed it to suit her. Not what a Femme Fatale actually is.

Last edited:

Sara

I agree with the idea that Imeera has of what a femme fatale was. :confused:

Gold diggers I think are perhaps the closest you get in today's society in terms of a group of women who have been categorised, segregated and labelled like 'femme fatale's' but gold digger doesn't cover what I think a femme fatale would translate to in today's society.

For me it's that woman who when she walks past, you can't help but stare at. She turns heads without having to open her mouth, and when she does, whatever she says is so intelligent and clever too. She has to be confident and alluring, and make you want to know more about her. Guys love her, girls generally envy her, and I think that's why she would be a femme fatale.

Imeera

I agree with the idea that Imeera has of what a femme fatale was. :confused:

Gold diggers I think are perhaps the closest you get in today's society in terms of a group of women who have been categorised, segregated and labelled like 'femme fatale's' but gold digger doesn't cover what I think a femme fatale would translate to in today's society.

For me it's that woman who when she walks past, you can't help but stare at. She turns heads without having to open her mouth, and when she does, whatever she says is so intelligent and clever too. She has to be confident and alluring, and make you want to know more about her. Guys love her, girls generally envy her, and I think that's why she would be a femme fatale.

If a woman who was a femme fetale was in todays society I totally agree with this image. She wouldn't need to kill, she could ear it herself and think she would. With the style, respectability and essence of latter day Femme Fetale, only less death and lust for money :lol: What a femme fetale was then has simply turned, well cheaper xD

Amulya

No it doesn't, a femme fatale would have been much more subtle in her behavior. A gold digger is so obvious: young woman, old rich man, that is totally obvious why she is with him. Only the men seem blind, or maybe know but are happy to be able to have a young woman. Who knows?

Sara

Yea, that's what I thought. Gold Diggers are quite bolshy and blatant. Not very subtle at all. I think perhaps the men know, but they get companionship out of it? :think: Like Hugh Hefner

jaimeeligan

No it doesn't, a femme fatale would have been much more subtle in her behavior. A gold digger is so obvious: young woman, old rich man, that is totally obvious why she is with him. Only the men seem blind, or maybe know but are happy to be able to have a young woman. Who knows?

She's a girl you would love to hate. You can be the most confident, most generous girl, talented and beautiful in your own right, but when you meet this girl she would stir up deep insecurities you thought you've already grown out of before

Amulya

She's a girl you would love to hate. You can be the most confident, most generous girl, talented and beautiful in your own right, but when you meet this girl she would stir up deep insecurities you thought you've already grown out of before

Wasn't it originally a woman who would make a man fall in love with her and then drop him mercilessly?

LOL Sarah, Hugh Hefner! He keeps buying himself new ones, I think he dumps them before they turn 30?
I think you're right that those men look for company, they seem often very lonely, they are the ones who get mail order brides. Seen a sad documentary about that; some guys who tried to get mail order brides and one of these girls was so dissapointed, the guy was the biggest looser ever and an alcoholic. Another went on holiday to Moskov for a special dating holiday, didn't work out, all the girls used his money and there was also a part where they told that many guys who can't find anyone in the normal way go on holiday to Thailand and expect to find someone in 2 or 3 weeks, if that doesn't happen, they jump of a bridge, that bridge is now called Suicide Bridge.

OT: how come men do these kind of things? You never hear of mail order bridegrooms. Women don't tend to do that even if they are totally desperate.