Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Post Thanks / Like

That sounds hilarious!

Mr. Burroughs didn't write romance though. He wrote "manly" books about "manly" men doing "manly" things. His men were to manly to even take note of the "heaving bosoms" and other displayed attributes (though that never stopped him from describing them ) unless of course they were the kind of cads who were in need of a good thrashing, which of course his manly heroes were happy to provide. Evidently being properly manly also requires being a gentleman to boot.

What made Mr. Burroughs books stand out from the rest of the genre (other then his heroes being gentlemen) was that his main characters preferred women who could keep up with them. They either found someone who was already capable of taking care of themselves, "thank you very much" (though they might need rescuing now and then they were as likely to be the rescuer as well) or, having had the misfortune to fall in love with a "lady of deportment", it was only a few years before said lady was taking various adventures and misfortunes in stride with the best of them. All of which did my little amazon, preteen, heart good.

Post Thanks / Like

I like Burroughs and haven't outgrown him yet. The gentleman hero, the differences between male and female, the politeness; we're losing that as the generations go by. I've also read the Moon series and the first book of the Venus series. Hoping to get around to Tarzan and Pellucidar someday.

Seems like the men didn't wear an excess of clothing in ERB's works either. I definitely recall John Carter describing himself arriving on Mars, "naked as the day I was born." In the new film he seems to be wearing a kilt, but to some folks it will be a skirt. Now that's one thing Mr. Neeson said that I agree with. A kilt is not a skirt, and a skirt is not a kilt.

Post Thanks / Like

One of my favorite animated movies is Tarzan. I loved Minnie Driver's character. When after being attacked by monkey she thrust out her foot and proudly announced, "Daddy, they TOOK MY BOOT!" I giggled off and on for the next twenty minutes.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

I love that movie for the same reasons!

(Totally inaccurate to the book though.)

Post Thanks / Like

Who cares about accurate when the copyright is up and the result is such fun? The opening song is one of the best movie themes of all time.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

I think that if Paramount had followed through with its original plan to film A Princess of Mars there would have been more skin being shown, but Disney has always strived to be family-friendly. Back in the 80's Walt probably turned over in his grave when mermaids began showing their navels in movies with his name on them.

Regarding the screamers and fainters, they became annoying with repitition while watching older movies when I was a child. It was just an expected thing for the woman to either scream or faint, but exceptions can be found. The token female scientist on the rocket ship in "Queen of Blood" is a great example.
    Last edited by Erik; 02-29-2012 at 09:26 AM. Reason: goof

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shanazel View Post
    Well, to be fair, I don't know that manhoods throbbed in Mr. Burroughs literary contributions. Once upon a time I owned a copy of a naughty romance called The Flame and the Flower that was so bad that it was hysterically funny. My college roommate and I used to read passages outloud anytime we'd had a particularly trying day. All the throbbling manhoods, heaving bosoms, and pounding pulses never failed to put us into a better albeit sillier frame of mind.
    Ahahaha.. I remember these romance novels! Lots of allusions to "his hardness entering her softness"

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456