How to promote yourself for gigs

Birdielee

Hello everyone. I started dancing professionally at a local restaurant about 6 months ago. However, I've not been getting as many gigs there as before, and am looking for other places to dance, so that I'm not relying on one establishment. I called a few other restaurants/hookah bars, but one wanted my website (which I don't have) and another said they were obligated to another dancer, but would "definitely call"...which never happened.

I'm not sure what else to do. I feel as if my peers are getting so many more jobs than I am, and they don't have websites or business cards...so what am I failing to realize? I feel like no one wants to tell me what's going on, or that they're holding back some secrets...maybe it's just because women are catty? Or they want to see me fail? I don't know.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks. ;)

Phynadi

I have tried to book gigs also. Look for near local cultured events that showcase eastern music and belly dancing. Get up and dance with the other dancers and show your talent. I had a lady ask me if I would dance at her 40th birthday party. She was well known in the town (from her yoga studio) and would be able to recommend me to friends. I had more venues contact me since. It's a small start, but a start none the less.

Phynadi

This is one of the concerts by Turku nomads of the silk road. I am in the white and pink. There where local belly dancers from different troupes and people from the audience just having a great time. This is where you want to be. It was a blast. I was booked for a paying gig that night. Good luck to you. You are talented and things will open up fir you.

Welcome to Flickr!

Elfie

Get a web site. There are some awesome free hosting sites that are easy to use and personalize. It's amazing what one can do with just a blog on Google's "blogger".

Wordpress is even better free web hosting. Wordpress is awesome. I've seen some really impressive websites hosted there. Wordpress and blogger both are so simple to use... I host my blog at blogger, but I'm actually going to build my own website with wordpress (for fiction, not belly dancing) in the near future.

Like fiction, you have to put yourself out there. Go to haflas and other events, as the previous poster said, with a ME feel. Be part of your local dance community... and if there isn't one, start building it.

Birdielee

I think I may just have to do the website thing, although I don't have much to put on it right now. There aren't so many haflas happening where I am, and I do participate in my bellydance community, I dance in student shows with my classmates, I go out with classmates to places where fellow classmates have dance gigs and support them, (seems like it's hardly ever me on the other end being supported though :( ) and aside from hanging out in hookah lounges alone (which I haven't done, and don't really wanna do...), I don't know how else to put myself out there...calling places seemed like a total fail. Do I just show up and start dancing? LOL I'm out of ideas now. :think:

Last edited:

Darshiva

Why not ask your dance friends to recommend you for jobs if they can't take them?

It may not get you a lot of gigs, but it's a start AND it's a way to get your name out there.

Birdielee

Why not ask your dance friends to recommend you for jobs if they can't take them?

It may not get you a lot of gigs, but it's a start AND it's a way to get your name out there.

GOOD idea! :) I did have a friend who was giving her shifts away to me....but she's not really dancing so much anymore...and another friend who I've yet to ask....worst she can say is 'no', right?

Last edited:

Elfie

A website is always a good idea to have for any professional - belly dancer or not. With the net being a major part of everyone's lives now-a-days, a professional almost has to have a website. Customers/clients/potentials expect to see a website.

Wordpress

They have two websites... one for the software and one for blog hosting. I think the blog host is the one I used.

Alternate website

I know of several professional paying (which, in the fiction business, means something) genre magazines that use wordpress for their website. It's absolutely crazy how easy it is to use.

Basically, your website will let people preview you and what you have to offer them. Some (good) photos of you in dance costumes, maybe some youtube clips or videos, a biography, including what teachers you have studied under, who has influenced you in the dance, how long you have been dancing, and performance dates, upcoming events and etc. Websites are pretty useful. The site above has great software that is great for creating this kind of website, too. Easy to use, they look great, and you can choose your own domain name (I think hosting is actually a separate issue now, though way back when wordpress hosted for themselves - be sure you read the website carefully to make sure they're still into hosting).

If you decide to build a web page and need some help, you can ask me if you need to. I've used wordpress a while back just as a blog, I prefer blogger for that purpose. Wordpress is great, though. I highly recommend it.

Last edited:

Shakti

Hi there

Congrats on taking your dance to the next level!

Also consider putting together a press kit or a post card with some great photos! Take it around to all the places that you would want to work.

Appearing in person at any place you want to work shows good work ethic.

Blessings