Thread: Virtual Lessons

Post Thanks / Like

Default Virtual Lessons

So I found a website that has online ATS classes, so I assume it's just instructional videos or something that you get access too for x-amount of money. Anyways, has anyone ever tried something like this?

I've been dancing for almost two years now doing tribal fusion and egyptian and I'd like to learn ATS but there are no instructors within a convenient driving distance and not many good instructional dvds out there for ATS that I've seen so I'm thinkign this could be good, just wondering if anyone has tried them and what they thought of that learning method...?

Post Thanks / Like

If by ATS you mean Carolena's Fat Chance Bellydance system, then the best video resource for that is the Fat Chance videos. I think they are up to around 7 or 8 dvds now.

Gypsy Caravan does group improv tribal, and they have 8 dvds or so. Black Sheep bellydance has 4 or 5.

That would be pretty much the standard for ITS and group improv tribal. If you are going to learn from videos, I think I would go straight to the source and study with the creators of each format.

What's the website with ATS videos? Maybe the Tribal ladies can watch them and evaluate the content.

Post Thanks / Like

I did suhalia's online classes- currently taking a break from them

Although her style is worlds away from mine, I noticed, and my teacher here noticed, vast improvements in my techinque. There were still kinks to work out, I mean, if you don't have someone watching you when you do it, you can fall into bad habbits/not quite "get" it- BUT I did learn a ton, and even got ahead of my class!! You absoulty have to be motivated to do them, as there is no physical human interaction, I found it hard to always be dilligent in doing them, and that kind of sucked, cause it was a total waste of money.

worth it? maybe, if you find a teacher you really like nah, it was nice to have my butt kicked- but I don't like her style (I admire her, please don't get me wrong- she's good, techincally brilliant!) so it was hard for me to always get excited to do it.

and correct me if I'm wrong, but her jumila salimpour is the mother of ATS, no? suhalia offers numerous classes online, one of which comes directly from her mother- bless her, she's still teaching at 80 something years old- it might be an awesome base to start out at...

Post Thanks / Like

Carolena is the mother of ATS.

Jamila Salimpour (Suhaila's mother) put together a structured format of dance technique with names for the various steps. (Salimpour technique)

Jamila taught Masha. Masha taught Carolena. Carolena created ATS based out of her understanding of Salimpour technique, although not everything translated correctly. ATS uses stylized movements borrowed from Salimpour format, but used in a completely different way. This is just my opinion, but the more I learn of ATS, the more ATS and Jamila-style dancing look completely different to me.

Jamila's classes are a good foundation for any dancing, but ATS is so specialized and so stylized, that you might have issues trying to convert from Jamila style to ATS style. I know I sure did!!

Post Thanks / Like

What about Rachel Brice's videos? I think Deb Rubin has some too. They are both incredibly wonderful ATS dancers. Also, you may be able to find some good sources at Belly Dancing, Belly Dance Videos, DVDs, Bellydance.