Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Help! Decisions are hard!

Hey all! I am new to the forums and still quite new to belly dance. I have reached the 6 month mark in my education and craving more. I originally fell in love with Egyptian style, but because of a lack of instructors in my area I found a great ATS teacher. She has really helped me lock in some basics and I appreciate it so much. I'm at a point now that I want to follow the path I was drawn to in the first place. I am transforming a spare room into my home studio and have it set up so that my computer screen is easily seen. I am pondering whether or not I should continue classes with her or take some online classes (from someone that teaches Egyptian style preferably) and supplement with a monthly or biweekly private lesson with another teacher in the area who is certified Level 1 in Suhaila's format. She just moved back here from California where she studied with Suhaila for 2 years and has offered me a fair price on private lessons. I'm torn!

Post Thanks / Like

If you find somebody teaching Egyptian style in online classes, please post the link! Not too many of the Egyptian dancers have jumped on the online bandwagon.

Are there absolutely no "cabaret" or Egyptian dance teachers in your area?

I think if I were you, I would at very least stay in regular classes, no matter what the format. Try the private lessons for a while, but if you're really wanting Egyptian style, you will probably want to study with someone who has specialized in that style. Suhaila and her students are lovely dancers, but it's very easy to get off the Egyptian track with her method. (I've been her student since 2005, certified Level 1 and almost ready to test L2. I had a really hard time trying to combine the 2 styles, and had to take time away from her method a while back to reclaim my Egyptian "groove.")

Post Thanks / Like

The closest cabaret or Egyptian style teacher is at least 5 hours away The whole state is full of ATS teachers I don't get it! Hahaha I am shying away from the class because she does mostly fusion with rock and/or metal songs and that's just not my style. I'm cheerful and peppy :-) I prefer Middle Eastern music for the dance

Post Thanks / Like

I would say keep the class + get some DVDs on Egyptian.

Post Thanks / Like

I've figured out what I'm going to do... I'm sticking with the class, going to an Egyptian workshop next month and gettin me some DVDs. With my new home studio I should get plenty of practice time in!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aziyade View Post
    If you find somebody teaching Egyptian style in online classes, please post the link! Not too many of the Egyptian dancers have jumped on the online bandwagon.
    ME! I teach online Egyptian Style!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Darshiva View Post
    ME! I teach online Egyptian Style!

So how exactly do you teach online?

Post Thanks / Like

Skype, same as everyone else doing live online classes, I guess.

Post Thanks / Like

OMG please give me details!!!

Post Thanks / Like

General information about my style and classes.

A little bit about me and my resume.

Booking information is here.

Please email me at raqs.riverine@gmail.com to hash out the arrangements - what time, let me get an idea of your level and what you want to work on, and we can take it from there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast