Help! Decisions are hard!

Nailah_Siti

Hey all! I am new to the forums and still quite new to belly dance. I have reached the 6 month mark in my education and craving more. I originally fell in love with Egyptian style, but because of a lack of instructors in my area I found a great ATS teacher. She has really helped me lock in some basics and I appreciate it so much. I'm at a point now that I want to follow the path I was drawn to in the first place. I am transforming a spare room into my home studio and have it set up so that my computer screen is easily seen. I am pondering whether or not I should continue classes with her or take some online classes (from someone that teaches Egyptian style preferably) and supplement with a monthly or biweekly private lesson with another teacher in the area who is certified Level 1 in Suhaila's format. She just moved back here from California where she studied with Suhaila for 2 years and has offered me a fair price on private lessons. I'm torn!

Amanda (was Aziyade)

If you find somebody teaching Egyptian style in online classes, please post the link! :) Not too many of the Egyptian dancers have jumped on the online bandwagon.

Are there absolutely no "cabaret" or Egyptian dance teachers in your area?

I think if I were you, I would at very least stay in regular classes, no matter what the format. Try the private lessons for a while, but if you're really wanting Egyptian style, you will probably want to study with someone who has specialized in that style. Suhaila and her students are lovely dancers, but it's very easy to get off the Egyptian track with her method. (I've been her student since 2005, certified Level 1 and almost ready to test L2. I had a really hard time trying to combine the 2 styles, and had to take time away from her method a while back to reclaim my Egyptian "groove.")

Nailah_Siti

The closest cabaret or Egyptian style teacher is at least 5 hours away :( The whole state is full of ATS teachers I don't get it! Hahaha I am shying away from the class because she does mostly fusion with rock and/or metal songs and that's just not my style. I'm cheerful and peppy :) I prefer Middle Eastern music for the dance

Nailah_Siti

I've figured out what I'm going to do... I'm sticking with the class, going to an Egyptian workshop next month and gettin me some DVDs. With my new home studio I should get plenty of practice time in!

Darshiva

The price listed is the hourly rate with a minimum booking of 60 minutes. All prices are in Australian dollars.

Nailah_Siti

I found a cabaret teacher who focuses mostly on Egyptian style. She is about 45 minutes away but her classes are a little less expensive so it all balances out! Thanks for your help everyone!