Thread: Hello :)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hello :)

My name's Angela. I'm 26 years old and from Florida. I've looked into belly dancing off and on over the past few years, never really had the motivation to do anything about it though. Now I've gained 50 pounds in half a year and am freaking out... I'm starting to look at my interests, things that can get me up and about that I like and enjoy. Belly dancing is one of them, it's about time I stopped thinking about it and started looking into it more seriously.

My boyfriend's mom bought us a Wii for Christmas, her attempt at getting us out of our chairs I suppose haha, and I was googling to see if there's a belly dancing game for the Wii. The first search result was a conversation on this forum in 2009. So here I am. I mostly plan to lurk and read, but I figured I'd introduce myself anyways.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tiimarie View Post
    My name's Angela. I'm 26 years old and from Florida. I've looked into belly dancing off and on over the past few years, never really had the motivation to do anything about it though. Now I've gained 50 pounds in half a year and am freaking out... I'm starting to look at my interests, things that can get me up and about that I like and enjoy. Belly dancing is one of them, it's about time I stopped thinking about it and started looking into it more seriously.

My boyfriend's mom bought us a Wii for Christmas, her attempt at getting us out of our chairs I suppose haha, and I was googling to see if there's a belly dancing game for the Wii. The first search result was a conversation on this forum in 2009. So here I am. I mostly plan to lurk and read, but I figured I'd introduce myself anyways.

Hello Angela, I'm 26 as well Yay for 26 , any who, I was 350 pounds when I got into belly dance hard core, I have been studying it since I was 12 I gained the weight when I was in my teens (due to my fathers death) at 21 i was 350 pounds with Belly dance as my cardio workout I lost 125 pounds and still dopping weight, so give it a go It's a great workout And a awsome art form, welcome.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you! And wow, congratulations, that is awesome. I used to hover around 200, my high was 220. Then it just started creeping up and creeping up, now I'm 270 and it's still slowly rising. I'm horrified.

I work from home and am a gamer, I live with my boyfriend who also works from home and is a gamer. He feels bad because the sharp rise in weight started when he moved in. Really it's that I had a job change (I used to have to leave the house 4-5 days a week to picky up heavy products to pack and ship, I switched to a business that was lighter-weight items and in the home). Also he brought soda with him, which I'd never drank before. And two incomes gave me the financial freedom to eat more fast food, which I'd only had once a month before he moved here - I couldn't justify spending the money on it when I was broke. So I think it's just those three things combined that did me in.

I did a little googling and found two belly dance instructors in my town, so I sent them e-mails. I'm so self-conscious though, I think I'm disgusting and I'm always embarrassed for people to see me. I've always been horrible at dancing, I'm a clutz, I'm forgetful, and I'm not the best at coordination. But heck, if the instructor can convince me that I'll be welcomed and not judged, I'm willing to give it a try.

I've always loved learning about cultures. As a kid, I had penpals around the world. I guess that's part of why belly dancing is so fascinating to me. The culture, the music, the costumes. Ah, I guess I'm preaching to the choir at this point.

Post Thanks / Like

to the forum. Hope you find yourself a teacher. Once you get over your initial shyness and feeling of awkwardness ( many of us feel awkward when we first start) I am sure you will love bellydancing.
    ~Mosaic
    Dance is like glitter, it not only colours your life, it makes you sparkle, you find it everywhere and in everything and it's near impossible to get rid of. (unknown)

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you! I did find a teacher, I didn't think anyone would reply to my e-mails. She's super sweet!

All shapes, sizes, and ages can bellydance!!! The dance honors ALL women!!! I promise you will have lots of fun. My class is very friendly.
    How could I say no to that?

Her classes are like a 10 minute drive down the street from me, and $10 per hour-long lesson every week. I'm not gonna start this week, my stomach hasn't been feeling all that great and there's a few things I need to do before I'll let people see me. But I will start next Wednesday.

Eep! I'm scared! But excited.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you! I did find a teacher, I didn't think anyone would reply to my e-mails. She's super sweet!

How could I say no to that?

Her classes are like a 10 minute drive down the street from me, and $10 per hour-long lesson every week. I'm not gonna start this week, my stomach hasn't been feeling all that great and there's a few things I need to do before I'll let people see me. But I will start next Wednesday.

Eep! I'm scared! But excited.
    Great News! so glad you have found a teacher, have fun on your joyful journey!
    ~Mosaic
    Dance is like glitter, it not only colours your life, it makes you sparkle, you find it everywhere and in everything and it's near impossible to get rid of. (unknown)

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you! And wow, congratulations, that is awesome. I used to hover around 200, my high was 220. Then it just started creeping up and creeping up, now I'm 270 and it's still slowly rising. I'm horrified.

I work from home and am a gamer, I live with my boyfriend who also works from home and is a gamer. He feels bad because the sharp rise in weight started when he moved in. Really it's that I had a job change (I used to have to leave the house 4-5 days a week to picky up heavy products to pack and ship, I switched to a business that was lighter-weight items and in the home). Also he brought soda with him, which I'd never drank before. And two incomes gave me the financial freedom to eat more fast food, which I'd only had once a month before he moved here - I couldn't justify spending the money on it when I was broke. So I think it's just those three things combined that did me in.

I did a little googling and found two belly dance instructors in my town, so I sent them e-mails. I'm so self-conscious though, I think I'm disgusting and I'm always embarrassed for people to see me. I've always been horrible at dancing, I'm a clutz, I'm forgetful, and I'm not the best at coordination. But heck, if the instructor can convince me that I'll be welcomed and not judged, I'm willing to give it a try.

I've always loved learning about cultures. As a kid, I had penpals around the world. I guess that's part of why belly dancing is so fascinating to me. The culture, the music, the costumes. Ah, I guess I'm preaching to the choir at this point.

Hey I'm a Big Gamer as well, and I work for my brother's Video game mag, I could give you some pointers to help with the weight loss, like the soda, It looks like you should give it up, you would see the difference, I started drinking nothing but Propel zero water, it has flavor and zero calories. And the fast food, needs to cut down or be dropped altogether, and breakfast is the most important meal to eat.

You say your a clutz, I am at times as well, yet I have been doing martial arts since I was 4 and belly dance since I was 12, my weight gain came from strass and depression on my body, my father died when I was 12 I was a skinny little thing before that but Breast heavy with hips I only wish it had come from eating but it did not.

So as my mother always said "You are what you say you are" So you are Not a clutz, you are not forgetful, you will be the best at coordinations I'm always like this sorry , i'm glade you found some classes to take let me know how they go

We should become e-mail pals, we can help each other with weight loss and talk about Belly dance

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks!

Yeah, I never intended to get hooked on the soda. I started with just sipping out of his can, then just one can of my own per day, and then it just spiraled. I too have switched to propel zero, I love the stuff! It's helped my allergies tremendously to be drinking this much more water.

The fast food will slow eventually, I'm trying to replace it with healthier options over time. Thing is, I'm a really big comfort eater, and when I'm depressed, it's either cheese or chocolate. So often a greasy drippy cheeseburger will make my day when not much else can. I have to fix the stress/depression before I'll ever truly fix my eating habits. But I'm working on small steps.

My dad died in 2007, on Father's Day at the age of 60. Also in 2007 my (now-ex)husband turned physically and emotionally abusive, I kicked him out in 2008. So depression and stress have been a huge part of my weight gain as well.

As for gaming, that's awesome! It's always been a part of me in one way or another. My ex-husband got me into MMOs, and for that I'm grateful. I met my boyfriend in the MMO that my ex and I used to play. He's from Massachusetts, I live in Florida. We were friends for a year, dated for a year, and have lived together since the summer. We're currently waiting for Rift to come out in 5 days. We've played in all the closed betas but we're not playing in open beta, because we don't want to burn out.

And sure, I'd love to e-mail.