Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Greetings

Post Thanks / Like

Default Greetings

I'm Erik. Not a dancer but I became increasingly interested in the last few years after I gained access to the World Wide Web, especially with regard to the perception of belly dancing by society and how it became such a lasting component of Western culture. I'm also interested in the history of the dance and costuming, and I like Egyptian Style the best. I've been following this forum off and on for at least four years and finally got the nerve to join.

Post Thanks / Like

Happy to have you aboard. Glad you decided to finally de-lurk after 4yrs or so Anyone with a genuine interest in the dance, culture & history is welcome. I'll look forward to your input.
    ~Mosaic
    Dance is like glitter, it not only colours your life, it makes you sparkle, you find it everywhere and in everything and it's near impossible to get rid of. (unknown)

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to you. Glad you decided to de-lurk.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mosaic. Someone asked an off-topic question about a movie which I had seen, and as a movie fan I decided to de-lurk. Shiradotnet tried to get me to de-lurk last year but I was afraid. Yes, I have a genuine interest in the dance. Once it was just a passing interest, and the sound of ME music made me rubberneck like the siren of an ambulance, but it has since become genuine. Thank you very much.
    Last edited by Erik; 02-21-2011 at 01:35 AM. Reason: typo

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Shanazel. Lurking was fun while it lasted, but it was time to de-lurk. I'm not an expert on every aspect of the dance and don't pretend to be, but hopefully I can contribute something useful from time to time.
    Last edited by Erik; 02-21-2011 at 01:31 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    Thanks Mosaic. Someone asked an off-topic question about a movie which I had seen, and as a movie fan I decided to de-lurk. Shiradotnet tried to get me to de-lurk last year but I was afraid. Yes, I have a genuine interest in the dance. Once it was just a passing interest, and the sound of ME music made me rubberneck like the siren of an ambulance, but it has since become genuine. Thank you very much.
    Love your personal phrase about ME musicI think my head begins to spin like Linda Blair in the exorcist until I locate it
    ~Mosaic
    Dance is like glitter, it not only colours your life, it makes you sparkle, you find it everywhere and in everything and it's near impossible to get rid of. (unknown)

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mosaic. As a movie fan I really appreciate the Linda Blair reference. What a head-turning experience that was.

However, there was one exception. There was a time when I walked away. I heard ME music coming from the TV in my nephew's room and I should have found an excuse to look in and see if there was a dancer, but I did not. Liars! Fibbers! They told me it was the world's oldest dance, and there's no proof of that. They lied to me. The heck with belly dancers.

Eventually, I got over it and came back. Often, the truth is even more intersting than the mythology.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome Eric, I look forward to your posts.
    lol at the exorcist, One of the reasons I was drawn to this dance was through the music , so I think I'm posessed also

Post Thanks / Like

It must be a good kind of possession, and to be exorcised from it would be sad indeed. Thanks, seona.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    I'm Erik. Not a dancer but I became increasingly interested in the last few years after I gained access to the World Wide Web, especially with regard to the perception of belly dancing by society and how it became such a lasting component of Western culture. ...
    I'm new to belly dancing and definitely no expert, but you don't have to be knowledgeable to contribute something useful to the forums, even it it is just to ask meaningful questions.

My uneducated guess on why belly dancing is popular in Western culture is that Westerners are generally very uncomfortable with anything sexual. So, we have either G-rated dancing or explicit erotic stuff like pole dancing. If we want something sexy/sensual with a common-sense attitude that is respectful of women, we need to import it from another culture. It's the same attitude that makes some people think that belly dancing is a form of stripping. I'm sure it is much more complex than that, but it seems reasonable to me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast