Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Should I go?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Should I go?

Hi =] I have FINALLY found a class, its a fair walk but its not too far. However the place it is at looks a bit...well burlesque, pole dancing club type to be quite honest (Link: Annabels Cabaret & Discotheque | The Kingdom of Night-time Pleasures < see what I mean!). Surely they could find a better venue however this is the only class I can find. I couldn't find any details on the site itself I had to email them to make sure. I came across it by way of a news article published a few years ago.

Other than the time, day and price (£6) I know nothing about this place. I don't even know the style of dance they practice or who does it.

I have emailed another place but that haven't answered. I want to get dancing as soon as possible, I have been learning at home for too long, I am at the point where I need a teacher to help me move forward.

Should I risk it and go? Or should I wait for more details/keep looking for a better class more informative class?

UPDATE: Resolved.
    Last edited by Imeera; 02-24-2011 at 12:23 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Call and ask for details about the bd classes. Then wear a mask whenever you walk into the building.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shanazel View Post
    Call and ask for details about the bd classes. Then wear a mask whenever you walk into the building.
    What kind of questions should I ask? I mean who does it and what style it is obviously, but anything else?

Post Thanks / Like

Style, length and size of classes, structure (whether there are levels of dance taught, what constitutes a level, what is required to move up), how long the instructors have been teaching BD, whether there are pro-rated returns of your class fee if the class turns out to not be for you.

Seems like a lot to ask, but if the studio rep balks at answering- well, there's your first clue.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shanazel View Post
    Style, length and size of classes, structure (whether there are levels of dance taught, what constitutes a level, what is required to move up), how long the instructors have been teaching BD, whether there are pro-rated returns of your class fee if the class turns out to not be for you.

Seems like a lot to ask, but if the studio rep balks at answering- well, there's your first clue.
    Thank you! I will see what they say =] Hopefully it will all work out! I can't wait to start =D

Post Thanks / Like

I can't tell you what YOU should do, but I can tell you what I would do: I would go.

It's not a huge waste of time, not a huge waste of money if you are just paying the drop-in rate (and maybe they even have a free trial class). In the best case scenario, it will be a wonderful class and you will stick around. In the worst case scenario, it will be an awful class but you'll have a great story to tell us here on bellydanceforums.net!

When I was first looking for classes, it took me a while to find a place. A lot of people are SO BAD at getting back to you... some because their businesses don't even exist anymore, others because they don't have the time or don't know how to run a business well. Either way, as long as you know the basics: drop-in rate, location, and time, you can go ahead and give it a shot. All the answers you will find out much quicker by just going there than you would by asking questions and waiting around for answers.

Post Thanks / Like

How long are the sessions? If it's four weeks to six weeks, I would try it. But as the others have said, ask questions first. If they don't tell you anything, then make your own decision. Personally, I would take a chance. Some pole dancing classes now are more centered on fitness than anything else.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greek Bonfire View Post
    How long are the sessions? If it's four weeks to six weeks, I would try it. But as the others have said, ask questions first. If they don't tell you anything, then make your own decision. Personally, I would take a chance. Some pole dancing classes now are more centered on fitness than anything else.
    I have no idea. They just said "every week at" not very informative xD

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Imeera View Post
    I have no idea. They just said "every week at" not very informative xD
    Like Yame said, they are not always informative. Did they tell you the name of the instructor? You may be able to find her website and contact her yourself. Can you go on a drop-in basis taking only one class?

Post Thanks / Like

For the price of a drop in class I'd give it a go. Might be good, might be meh, might be amusingly terrible.

I'd be a bit embarrassed going into a venue with that name. Maybe not enough to wear a mask, but I'd be considering big floppy hat and wraparound shades...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast