Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Should I go?

Post Thanks / Like

Did anyone else notice the pic of the girl onstage in her panties with half her labia showing, or the girl in the bedleh and nothing else?

I'd ask if they have a first class free policy before I signed up and paid any money. Scope it out and see if it's really belly dance or just fancy costume titillation classes. Gotta say from the pics, I'm suspicious.

I think this is the teacher. She sounds like she could be promising. Weird place to teach though.
    http://www.thisisplymouth.co.uk/news...l/article.html
    Last edited by Jane; 02-23-2011 at 12:36 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jane View Post
    Gotta say from the pics, I'm suspicious.
    <-- goes to look

ummm... "bellydancer exotica"... who provides classes... no... just no.

Post Thanks / Like

From the look of it, those are the venue's words, not the teachers. Her website (still under construction) indicates she's the genuine article.

Ameera Dance

Sometimes you can't be too picky about your venue as a teacher. I'd have a hard time choosing between a good studio in an 'adult' environment and a dingy scout hall with broken toilets & bad lighting. In the end I'd probably go with the better studio & let my students know I was serious once they were enrolled.

Post Thanks / Like

What Darshiva said.

I don't know what it's like around your neck of the woods, but finding a decent affordable available dance studio round these parts is HARD! It took me three months to get one studio! During which time I did seriously consider all manner of weird and wonderful places to teach.

I would give it a go and see what happens. You may discover a gem of a teacher! Or, you may be able to come back and entertain us with some weird and wonderful tales in the name of research!

Post Thanks / Like

I know it can be hard to find a studio but I'm sorry, I would simply not want to be associated with a place that advertised itself like it is nor, if the picture on their front page of the dancer in only the bedlah with no skirt etc is the teacher, would I want to learn from someone who considers that an appropriate way to represent bellydance.

It's just me but... just no.

Post Thanks / Like

The above pic is from their site, but it's not the teacher.

Americans are notoriously prudish- I know. The closest big town to me has no sex industry stores or dance places. Maybe I'm simply out of my comfort zone on this. There are other *much* more racy pics on the site. To each their own, but not for me.

To be fair, the pics of the teacher show her fully clothed in a standard costume. No telling WTF is going on until you go and find out Imeera Pictures must be protected so go here to see the teacher:
    Album 1 Gallery 15 Gallery | Annabel's Cabaret & Discotheque

Post Thanks / Like

I had a similar experience. I once signed up for classes that were held in a "dance club". The website looked ok. Aside from bellydancing, the venue was offering ballroom, salsa and pole (!) dancing. I went to 1 lesson, but never went back (waste of money, I know). I just didn't have a good feeling. The teacher seemed very nice and capable, but the class was more of a bellydance fitness class than anything (hip drop drills for 15 minutes non-stop? seriously?) And the venue... I didn't like dancing next to the pole dancing poles The floor was dirty, the guy owning the place was creepy (I paid cash and I was taken to some small dodgy back office to give the money)... brrr!

Oh and I forgot to mention that the location didn't have any mirrors. Not very handy...
    Last edited by Mariyam; 02-23-2011 at 09:35 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Call the teacher (not the venue) and ask her about everything you wonder about and make it a shot.

Suitable venues for teaching dance are hard to find - particularly in smaller places or places where there aren't a tradition of dance and dance schools.
    --
    Daim.

Post Thanks / Like

One class would not hurt. Dont mke up your mind before you take a class.

Post Thanks / Like

OR you could go to one of her other classes. I think there are four that are NOT at the rauncy place according to her website, one of them is in Plymouth too - why not go to that one instead?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast