Should I go?

Imeera

Hi =] I have FINALLY found a class, its a fair walk but its not too far. However the place it is at looks a bit...well burlesque, pole dancing club type to be quite honest (Link: Annabels Cabaret & Discotheque | The Kingdom of Night-time Pleasures < see what I mean!:lol:). Surely they could find a better venue however this is the only class I can find. I couldn't find any details on the site itself I had to email them to make sure. I came across it by way of a news article published a few years ago.

Other than the time, day and price (£6) I know nothing about this place. I don't even know the style of dance they practice or who does it.

I have emailed another place but that haven't answered. I want to get dancing as soon as possible, I have been learning at home for too long, I am at the point where I need a teacher to help me move forward.

Should I risk it and go? Or should I wait for more details/keep looking for a better class more informative class?

UPDATE: Resolved.

Last edited:

Shanazel

Call and ask for details about the bd classes. Then wear a mask whenever you walk into the building. ;):D

Shanazel

Style, length and size of classes, structure (whether there are levels of dance taught, what constitutes a level, what is required to move up), how long the instructors have been teaching BD, whether there are pro-rated returns of your class fee if the class turns out to not be for you.

Seems like a lot to ask, but if the studio rep balks at answering- well, there's your first clue. ;)

Imeera

Style, length and size of classes, structure (whether there are levels of dance taught, what constitutes a level, what is required to move up), how long the instructors have been teaching BD, whether there are pro-rated returns of your class fee if the class turns out to not be for you.

Seems like a lot to ask, but if the studio rep balks at answering- well, there's your first clue. ;)

Thank you! I will see what they say =] Hopefully it will all work out! I can't wait to start =D

Yame

I can't tell you what YOU should do, but I can tell you what I would do: I would go.

It's not a huge waste of time, not a huge waste of money if you are just paying the drop-in rate (and maybe they even have a free trial class). In the best case scenario, it will be a wonderful class and you will stick around. In the worst case scenario, it will be an awful class but you'll have a great story to tell us here on bellydanceforums.net! :dance:

When I was first looking for classes, it took me a while to find a place. A lot of people are SO BAD at getting back to you... some because their businesses don't even exist anymore, others because they don't have the time or don't know how to run a business well. Either way, as long as you know the basics: drop-in rate, location, and time, you can go ahead and give it a shot. All the answers you will find out much quicker by just going there than you would by asking questions and waiting around for answers.

Greek Bonfire

How long are the sessions? If it's four weeks to six weeks, I would try it. But as the others have said, ask questions first. If they don't tell you anything, then make your own decision. Personally, I would take a chance. Some pole dancing classes now are more centered on fitness than anything else.

Imeera

How long are the sessions? If it's four weeks to six weeks, I would try it. But as the others have said, ask questions first. If they don't tell you anything, then make your own decision. Personally, I would take a chance. Some pole dancing classes now are more centered on fitness than anything else.

I have no idea. They just said "every week at" not very informative xD

Greek Bonfire

I have no idea. They just said "every week at" not very informative xD

Like Yame said, they are not always informative. Did they tell you the name of the instructor? You may be able to find her website and contact her yourself. Can you go on a drop-in basis taking only one class?

Aniseteph

For the price of a drop in class I'd give it a go. Might be good, might be meh, might be amusingly terrible.

I'd be a bit embarrassed going into a venue with that name. Maybe not enough to wear a mask, but I'd be considering big floppy hat and wraparound shades... ;)

Jane

Did anyone else notice the pic of the girl onstage in her panties with half her labia showing, or the girl in the bedleh and nothing else? :shok:

I'd ask if they have a first class free policy before I signed up and paid any money. Scope it out and see if it's really belly dance or just fancy costume titillation classes. Gotta say from the pics, I'm suspicious.

I think this is the teacher. She sounds like she could be promising. Weird place to teach though.
http://www.thisisplymouth.co.uk/news/Let-shine/article-3155621-detail/article.html

Last edited:

Darshiva

From the look of it, those are the venue's words, not the teachers. Her website (still under construction) indicates she's the genuine article.

Ameera Dance

Sometimes you can't be too picky about your venue as a teacher. I'd have a hard time choosing between a good studio in an 'adult' environment and a dingy scout hall with broken toilets & bad lighting. In the end I'd probably go with the better studio & let my students know I was serious once they were enrolled.

Eshta

What Darshiva said.

I don't know what it's like around your neck of the woods, but finding a decent affordable available dance studio round these parts is HARD! It took me three months to get one studio! During which time I did seriously consider all manner of weird and wonderful places to teach.

I would give it a go and see what happens. You may discover a gem of a teacher! Or, you may be able to come back and entertain us with some weird and wonderful tales in the name of research!

Ariadne

I know it can be hard to find a studio but I'm sorry, I would simply not want to be associated with a place that advertised itself like it is nor, if the picture on their front page of the dancer in only the bedlah with no skirt etc is the teacher, would I want to learn from someone who considers that an appropriate way to represent bellydance.

It's just me but... just no.

Jane

The above pic is from their site, but it's not the teacher.

Americans are notoriously prudish- I know. The closest big town to me has no sex industry stores or dance places. Maybe I'm simply out of my comfort zone on this. There are other *much* more racy pics on the site. To each their own, but not for me.

To be fair, the pics of the teacher show her fully clothed in a standard costume. No telling WTF is going on until you go and find out Imeera :lol: Pictures must be protected so go here to see the teacher:
Album 1 Gallery 15 Gallery | Annabel's Cabaret & Discotheque

Mariyam

I had a similar experience. I once signed up for classes that were held in a "dance club". The website looked ok. Aside from bellydancing, the venue was offering ballroom, salsa and pole (!) dancing. I went to 1 lesson, but never went back (waste of money, I know). I just didn't have a good feeling. The teacher seemed very nice and capable, but the class was more of a bellydance fitness class than anything (hip drop drills for 15 minutes non-stop? seriously?) And the venue... I didn't like dancing next to the pole dancing poles :confused: The floor was dirty, the guy owning the place was creepy (I paid cash and I was taken to some small dodgy back office to give the money)... brrr! :(

Oh and I forgot to mention that the location didn't have any mirrors. Not very handy...

Last edited:

Daimona

Call the teacher (not the venue) and ask her about everything you wonder about and make it a shot.

Suitable venues for teaching dance are hard to find - particularly in smaller places or places where there aren't a tradition of dance and dance schools.

Darshiva

OR you could go to one of her other classes. I think there are four that are NOT at the rauncy place according to her website, one of them is in Plymouth too - why not go to that one instead?