Business cards - I need an honest opinion

Galeyah

Hey everyone! I'm about to print my first business cards and I definitely want to do this right. I'm thinking of having my image on one side and the text on the other. What should I write though? Belly dancer? Middle Eastern dancer? Oriental dancer? Do you think I should list events - weddings, birthdays, corporate... or should I just stick with the phone number and the e-mail address? I don't want to send the wrong message and I really feel I could use some advice. :rolleyes:

Salome

Administrator
I've always used oriental dance on my cards. My very first ones I think might have said 'artist of near east dance... I have always preferred oriental over belly... so that's what I've used. And since I also use my image in costume I don't think there is confusion with labeling.

Darshiva

What to put on the front:

performance name/name of business
contact details (phone, email, website)

What you can put on the front if you choose:

Style
slogan

What to put on the back:

Current, flattering photo.

Hire someone to do the hard work (graphic artist for card, professional photographer for photography) for you, because:

1) It is harder to do than it looks
2) A professional card makes YOU look professional
3) You can sometimes get a massive discount on the printing if you hire the printers' graphic artist to do your work for you.

Corylus

This is a really helpful thread; I'm about to do the same thing.

Salome: When you say that you don't think there is confusion regarding labelling do you mean that, even though you use the term oriental dancer which is perhaps less mainstream in the west, you find people still know the type of dancing you do? As opposed to perhaps people thinking 'I don't know what oriental dance is'?

Galeyah

Girls, thank you so much for the reply! Darshiva, I already had a professional photo shoot, this is the result.

goddessyasaman

I agree with Darshiva, my business cards matched that, I went with a color theme, which mine at the time was purple. I love your photo very pretty :)

Salome

Administrator
This is a really helpful thread; I'm about to do the same thing.

Salome: When you say that you don't think there is confusion regarding labelling do you mean that, even though you use the term oriental dancer which is perhaps less mainstream in the west, you find people still know the type of dancing you do? As opposed to perhaps people thinking 'I don't know what oriental dance is'?

Yes that's what I meant. Even though it is not a popularly known term amoung the general public in the west, the image, the costume is understood. I find it's a good opener to, not give a lecture, but say a few words on the subject if it's appropriate...

Corylus

Thanks for your reply Salome, I understand, that's an interesting point too!

Galeyah: You are stunning! What a lovely photo :D

Amulya

I've always used oriental dance on my cards. My very first ones I think might have said 'artist of near east dance... I have always preferred oriental over belly... so that's what I've used. And since I also use my image in costume I don't think there is confusion with labeling.

I prefer the word 'oriental' too, but here in Australia it can be confused to the far east.

Galeyah, that is a beautiful picture!

I am about to do new business cards as well and a whole new website, so I too, find this thread helpful :)

LadyLoba

I had the same problem with my writing business cards...I wasn't sure if I should list all the different types of articles I was available to write or not...

The only way you would have to list everything is if there are only certain events you're wanting to perform in....if you're open to pretty much anywhere someone would want to hire a belly dancer, you can probably save yourself the expense of the extra text.

I know with mine...I almost doubled the cost listing newspaper articles and every other type of writing or writing assistance I was willing to provide.

Then I thought about it and realized that unless someone wanted some sort of non-fiction or fiction piece written or needed some sort of assistance in a language arts/communications area class, they probably would not be calling a freelance writer. ...