My attempt at an Oriental interpretation of Wayek

MissVega

Great job:)
I agree with everyone else who pointed out how genuine and lovely your expression is. It comes across as very natural too. The performance is incredibly charming.
The one thing that stuck out to me was that your arms (especially from your elbow through to your finger tips) were lacking in intent, direction and energy. I think if you allow the energy from your core to flow right down all through your shoulders and into your finger tips you'll see a difference. :)

Aniseteph

:doh: How did I miss this thread? I love seeing ODers dancing.

Very, very nice! And an especial ooh factor for the hip lift on that little stretched note at 2.44. Spot on. :cool:

And yeah, clapping is all very nice but don't you sometimes wish you could say "your support is very much appreciated but could you pleeeease shut up and enjoy this beautiful music I am interpreting for you?" ;)

<goes off to check out that music>

Amanda (was Aziyade)

LOL - you know I'm SOOOOO happy that the worst criticism I'm getting is arm related because that is SO fixable. I was worried that you guys would be like "what the HELL did you do to that music!! What were you thinking!" LOL.

I'm glad you all enjoyed, and thanks for the feedback! I think the next video I post will hopefully address the arm issues. Thanks gang -- I really appreciate it!!

Belly Love

I know I'm a newbie, so take my opinion however you will ;)

I thought it was very nice. Nice facial expressions and it was sweet and relaxed.

Obviously you have skill as well, but the only thing I noticed is that you tend to "pull" with your arms/upper body sometimes when trying to do certain hip movements. I don't know if this is done on purpose or not? Also, I agree with you, you could be a little "bigger" 'cause you give off a slight timidness- very slight!

Anyway, thought it was very pleasant to watch... you're good :)

Yame

LOL - you know I'm SOOOOO happy that the worst criticism I'm getting is arm related because that is SO fixable. I was worried that you guys would be like "what the HELL did you do to that music!! What were you thinking!" LOL.

I don't think anyone would react that way because you are obviously connecting with the music and your interpretation and musicality are great.

I find it funny that you consider arms so "fixable..." I have been struggling with mine for as long as I can remember! :lol:

I actually thought you did well with the arms. I don't see a lot of intent as Cassandra pointed out, but intent, direction, etc in the arms is more of a modern concept in belly dance anyway. Not that it's not worth trying to achieve if that's what you're going for (and it is what I am going for depending on the piece), but if it isn't then it isn't. I approached this video more as a classic piece... this sounds like an old recording so it has a vintage feel to me... it would make sense for me to see the dancer interpret that with simple, soft, almost beledi-like arms like the Golden Era dancers. I don't know if that's what you were going for, but that's what it looked like to me.

Where I don't see the intent I would like to see is in the hips. I feel like the hip movements are a bit vague... they seem stiff at times, I feel like you are trying to do a movement and frame it with the arms, and then I see the arms go but not the hips. So this is where I would put my focus on for now.

RayaDancer

your performance was lovely all around! your movements were clear and very neat, i wouldnt be concerned with making them bigger. it was very enjoyable to watch.:clap::clap::clap:

p.s.- any tips you have for working Imovie, i would totally appreciate. i can't figure it out at all. :confused: