Liability stuff, dance studio payment

Amulya

I haven't been teaching for a while but got asked to teach for a dance studio and wondered how it works with liability. Rules might have changed in the mean time.

If you work for a studio, community center or some other place do you need your own insurance in Australia? Any differences in each state or is it all the same country wide?

A friend of mine worked for her own and had some kind of waivers her students had to sign, are those legal? Binding? Or need more insurance? She used to pay $700 a year :shok::(:confused: (is that tax deductible?)

The dance studio that asked me to teach pays very well it seems, but just wanted to check what the normal rate would be per hour in Australia?

Darshiva

Best bet is to ask the studio. If they require you to provide your own, go with DanceSurance - cheap, good, covers everything you need except working with fire. (approximately $300/year - that $700 your friend was paying? YIKES!)

Also, make sure you have a sword license if you're planning on teaching/performing with sword (in Victoria, assuming this offer was in Melbourne).If you're unsure, ask OMEDA to give you information about getting a sword license for dance - the lady you want to speak to about that is Jude, the president of OMEDA, as she has done it recently & wrote an article about the process for the OMEDA newsletter, the Shimmy.

Wow, that's a lot of OMEDA in that paragraph!

Anyway, best wishes for it. :D

Last edited:

Amulya

The $700 was from DanceSurance! Years ago I got a quote from them too and it was similar, crazy huh? But since I worked for studio's I never went with them. Do you also have a music license (or whatever that is called)?

Darshiva

I have my APRA/AMCOS license for dance classes, mostly because I teach as an owner/operator & hire studio space rather than working for a studio.

Everything you need depends on what the studio covers. Anything they don't, you'll have to.

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Community centres and I would say dance studios have liability insurance to cover everyone who teaches in their facilities, it would be needed if you open your own studio. Not sure how legal waivers are, pretty dicey I'd say, because someone could still take you to court claiming they didn't know what it meant, that would probably cost a lot more than having insurance if it happened.

I didn't know you need a sword license in Victoria. Mind you I (so far) don't use a sword, but know folk who do.
~Mosaic

Shanazel

Hey, as long as you have the sword for insurance, the snake is no problem. ;)

Sword insurance. Lord, I love it. Makes me think of the old joke about the belly dancer who lost her assaya during a performance- it went sailing out into the crowd. The next act was a sword dance. The audience ran for the doorways.