Post Thanks / Like

Default Some advice on the way

Well, I have been sitting by the computer a hour now and read through the different topics, but could not find the right answer.. Well, I guess there's no 'right' answer right now!

I have recently found a BD group not so far from my home, and I just joined them. We're having a show in middle of may.

I guess I just feel that I just reach a point where I kinda feel "..Is my dance good enough?" I really, really want to dance, and spread joy! I've been dancing for nearly three years, only in front of a mirror in my room and the last year in my schools dance room. Im reading about the dance every day to learn culture, history and differnet styles. Later this month Im having a little 'workshop' for other classes at my school.

So I guess my question is... when are you good enough to be in public? When can you call yourself a belly dancer? Do you ever feel the same thing?
    It's really really frustrating!!

I really believe that anyone can learn a dance, or to sing, or to act and so on, the art belongs to them who chooses it, but many I've been talking to says that if I want to be a belly dancer it will not go well, because Im swedish and white. I know it's silly, but I really question my own ability to be good enough.

Some advice on the way..? Some helping words?

Regards, Beatrice - Madeleine

Post Thanks / Like

You're ready when you feel you're ready. Performing for peers is a great way to get feedback on your dancing.

Also, I think this applies to calling yourself a bellydancer too.

Post Thanks / Like

If you are waiting to be perfect, you will never be ready. Student showcases and recitals are a wonderful way to start out. Performing is also part of learning, and the more you perform, the better you get at it. It's one thing to perform in your own house or class, but then when you are actually performing while others come to watch you is a new learning step.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, only you can say when your ready, yet you must step on that stage one day if you want to speard the joy of your dance, Believe in yourself and go out there and show the world what a beauty you are, you can do it, I'm sure there are many that have felt like you before they perfomed on stage, so you are not alone in this.

What is it? Is it the amount of people that bothers you? or just that you don't know if your good enough yet?

If it's just the second one then don't let this stop you, as Greek bonfire has said Performing is also part of learning, I have been dancing for 14 years and I still learn new things.

I hope you go for it I'm sure you will do great

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for all the answers =)

I had a terrible, terrible day yesterday, so I guess I just needed to write something on this forum! Today I feel better, and will keep on practice and give my best at the show in may!