Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I hope it's okay to repost this:

Learn How to Belly Dance in Less than a Month?? | Leyla Najmas Hip Phylosophy. Belly Dance Videos, Articles And Tips

It's really sad because it leaves students with the idea that this is something that is easily mastered.

This cracks me up: Our Certificates are not recognised by any institution, they are only a written proove that our students have achieve the Belly Dance Levels under a point of view of high quality and very experienced Belly Dancers and BD teachers that have been recognised through many years as the best belly dancers in England (Amora), the best foreigner belly dancer in Egypt (Amora), best Belly Dancers in Morocco (Alia & Amora), best BD in Spain (Alia) and best BD in France (Amora).

So based on the Amanda School of Bellydance, I hereby certify the best bellydancer in Indiana (Amanda), the best bellydancer in the midwest, (Amanda) and the best bellydancer to bellydance across state lines (Amanda).

Amanda

Post Thanks / Like

Default If I may also repost...

Announcing the Shanazel School of Belly Dance Arts! All your questions answered in unarguable phrases! Movement vocabulary carved on stone tablets harvested from the pyramids! Firm division lines for dance styles and fusions available for $10 a dozen. Certifications a specialty. Be the first in your neighborhood to receive the gospel from The High Grand Snickelfritz of Belly Dance herself, and amaze your friends with your expertise at your next hafla. Costumes, choreographies, and lattes also available. The first hundred dancers to sign up will receive their choice of a pink stuffed boa constrictor or a year's subscription to The High Grand Snickelfritz's newsletter, The Syncopated Dancer. All acolytes passing a series of arduous exams will be allowed to perform with Shanazel's troupe, The Belly Button Jewels of the North Platte.

The Belly Button Jewels relaxing in their private green room between performances

Shanazel has been voted Best Belly Dancer in Northwestern Allendale, (population several) by an assortment of her peers, none of whom had to be bribed too heavily.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you ladies for your opinions. I have plenty of time to figure it out, it would be at least 2 years before I even have extra funds as Im getting married next yr. I know how hard this is, so I found it strange that someone would suggest that a lifetime of learning could be crammed into one month. I am attending a workshop next week that is four hrs long with a break. I also am starting cabaret style classes the 15th and possibly doin online classes (my daily morning practice could be better). I am blessed to have previous dance experience as a professional entertainer for a dj company so I catch on to moves very quickly, however I want to be able to feel the music and I know I have to start from zero on that. Pandora is great for exploring different music but I want to know what emotions are hidden in each song. Well anyway Im rambling now so... Lol

Post Thanks / Like

Also, who are some great teachers in Egypt? I need to move, there is just no way these awesome teachers will come to lil ol west virginia sniff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nailah_Siti View Post
    Also, who are some great teachers in Egypt? I need to move, there is just no way these awesome teachers will come to lil ol west virginia sniff
    Honey, I live in New Zealand - small country population 4 million. Any decent study I need requires a passport

In Egypt I can recommend:
    Yasmina (ex UK)
    Carolyn (ex Australia)
    both great dancers, teachers and fluent Arabic speakers. Both also have (had? riots in Cairo may have impacted them) bed and breakfasts.

Aida Nour, Raqia Hassan, Lubna Emam, Mohamed Kazafy - probably in that order. All expect a certain level of technique - ie they won't teach you how to do a hip-drop-release but can teach interpretation and difference genres and folklore if interested. Various levels of ENglish - usually enough to say what they want but not to answer any complex question.Mohamed Kazafy requires a very high level of exisiting technique. I suspect even in two years it would be too early.

Randa Kamel requires extremely advanced technique and strength. Give it another 5 years or so before considering it.

Egyptian ex-pats include Denise Enan in quebec, Canada (my favourite teacher), Yousry Sharif in New York (inspirational but hard), Dr Mo Geddawi in Berlin, Germany (a wealth of knowledge)

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! I'm all about 5 year plans, if I save $25 a month for 5 years I will be good to go! In the meantime, I'm just going to work on being the best me I can be. Guess that dampers my graduation from grad school gift in 2 years to myself, oooo unless I go and see some performers! love it!

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder how many scammers are out there for this kind of thing? It has to be a lot.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know if she's deliberately scamming anybody -- I'm sure she wouldn't see it that way.

But it is one thing to hand students a binder full of information, and quite another to actually LEARN that material. I'm sure she gives you a lot of information -- maybe even enough that she believes it's enough to get started as a pro.

I can teach you the basic movements in 18 hours (or 18 classes). Maybe even in 12. Would you have "mastered" them? eh, no. I can spend another 12-16 hours giving you the lowdown on how to design a business card, set up a fan page on Facebook, and advertise on the major dance sites. And I can give you a list of popular songs bands play.

In short, in 30 days. I can outfit you with a 3-ring binder full of information on basic dance steps and basic business marketing information, but that don't make you a pro.

You can get Zumba certified in a weekend, without any prior training. If you view bellydance like Zumba, then her claim isn't outrageous.

Of course, what's outrageous is thinking bellydance is anything like Zumba, but that mentality IS out there.

Post Thanks / Like

GREAT comparison! I totally didn't think of it that way. My worries are for the people who AREN'T part of this forum and see that and just send their money away without knowing what they are really getting into. At least I had someone to ask, I don't even like to plan workshops that are far away unless I have some proof that the teacher is competent. I would hate to take off work, travel umpteen hours, spend boo-koo dollars and come home in the same predicament. Actually the predicament would be worse because I would be broke! lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aziyade View Post
    Of course, what's outrageous is thinking bellydance is anything like Zumba, but that mentality IS out there.
    This thinking just burns my butt!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast