Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yame View Post
    If you really want to go to Egypt, go to Ahlan Wa Sahlan and/or take some privates with Raqia Hassan. Other great teachers are Aida Nour and Mahmoud Reda, the great dancers are Dina, Soraia Zaied, Randa Kamel, Tito, and others. Many of these people also tour in other countries, especially now that the situation in Egypt isn't so bright. None of these people will claim they can teach you how to be a great dancer in a month. Because they can't. But if you work hard, training with them will greatly improve your dancing in a month.
    Yame, if one would have to choose (since it seems to be one or the other anymore) ...... Raqia or Aida?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aziyade View Post
    Yame, if one would have to choose (since it seems to be one or the other anymore) ...... Raqia or Aida?
    I would choose Raqia, but this isn't a completely informed opinion as I've taken workshops with Raqia every year for the past 3 years, and none with Aida. I believe my technique to be somewhat Raqia-based, in an indirect way. My style is very different, but in comparison to other dancers who learned in the US, my way of generating most movements is closer to Raqia's than theirs. So I'd love to be able to study with her intensively.

Post Thanks / Like

Dear Aziyade,

Yes, maybe it's my way of trying to explain somethings typing in text, but what I am shure it's that after the 70hBDCourse, my students start dancing as regular basis at arabian restautants and being claimed for parties in many countires such as USA, in China, in England, in Spain, in Canada, in South America, in Australia, etc.

And after doing this course, then they need to bellydance facing public for a minimum of 1 year to have the strength and the knowledge to be able to do the 2nd course: the 80hBDC. That's why only professional bellydancers can enter to study the second course.

Also professional bellydancers can do the 2nd course straight away if they have a minimum of 3 years of dancing with public experience.

Some students try to do the 1st course in less time (6 hours/day), and technically that's impossible. I have try two times, and they get so tired in the middle way, that they can not complete the course.

The last one who did try to do the course in 2 weeks, was Hillarie Champ (from USA), that I call her Helwa. She never danced anything in her live, she was an absolute beginner in all the sence of the word.

But in just 20 hours, she started to do her 1st Baladi, improvising and feeling the music at the same time, was wonderful honestly. To see someone who didn't know how to dance at all few days ago (recorded on video), become in just 5 or 6 days into someone who looked that she was dancing from childhood (also recorded in video).

When I saw that, I invited another private student, that she just arrived the day before, to see Helwa do the baladi she just started to do with "Tarab", and guess what? this new student started too CRY from EMOTION, she could not belive it!

Both they could not belive it, dancing like that with all the feeling from the inside, like "Tarab"!

To dance like Helwa did, it's very difficult to do learning with any standard bellydance teacher, and she did it with me. And it's not the first time this quick development has happen to my students.

Do you know how many times, my students have told me:
    "You are the teacher I was praying God to give me"
    "You are the teacher I was looking for all my life"

I get many comments like this all the time.

And tell me, how many teachers you know that can make someone bellydance from level absolutley zero into dancing like they have been dancing all their lifes?

I do not know anyone, not even my mother (with all my respect to her).

I invite you to see the students commenting about me and my courses, and if you want to contact them, they are in my facebook.

Warm Regards
    Amora Shams

Comment from Helwa (Hillarie Champ):
    is amazing, both as a teacher and as a person. She is probably the most passionate and devoted teacher and individual I have ever met. She gives all of her knowledge and herself to her teaching. I first contacted Amora a couple of years ago with an interest in her style of teaching, particularly as it was taught in a very intensive manner, but it wasn't until late August 2011 that I finally caught a break at work and was able to get away and take a private intensive 2-week course from her in Egypt. Amora's courses are intensive and yield results. Amora gives you every tool you need to become a professional bellydancer, and so much more. I am thankful to Amora for being the most amazing, caring and compassionate person, teacher and friend whom I will charish always. My only regret is not having been able to study with Amora for a longer period of time...luckly this is subdued by the fact that I will undoubtedly return to study with Amora at some point in the near future. Enshallah

I think --- just maybe -- we have a slight "lost in translation" moment here.

week belly dance courses & UNESCO.

Perhaps when she's saying "professional" she's not using that word the same way a native English speaker would use it, as in ready to go out and get a job -- ?

Amora, if I have misunderstood your information, then I apologize. I would suggest (and this is not to be mean or insulting) that you work with an English translator to make the wording on your website more clear.
    Last edited by amoradance; 03-05-2012 at 04:53 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by amoradance View Post
    And tell me, how many teachers you know that can make someone bellydance from level absolutley zero into dancing like they have been dancing all their lifes?

I do not know anyone, not even my mother (with all my respect to her).

I invite you to see the students commenting about me and my courses, and if you want to contact them, they are in my facebook.
    You asked Aziyade, but I'll answer for myself: none. I've never seen a student go from nothing into looking like they've been dancing all their lives in just a few weeks. If you claim you can do that, that's wonderful but it's going to take more than a few testimonials for me to believe you. Would you care to share some of the videos of your students' progress which you mentioned in your post?

Post Thanks / Like

There is a vid of student dancers on the website - - they look like students to me - not good enough to go pro. A lack of commitment to the moves - pleasant dancing but not all there.

I will admit that I have seen worse - but then you are starting with those with enough commitment to go to Egypt for a month.
    Last edited by jenc; 03-05-2012 at 09:28 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I like the idea of written assignments and homework! That's one of the features of Amora's program that I would respond well to.

Amora, one thing you should know -- in the USA unfortunately it is not necessary for a dancer to hold any certification or license in order to dance in a restaurant. Actually, these days it is not necessary for the dancer to even know HOW to dance. A lot of restaurant owners simply want a pretty face with a cute body in a skimpy costume (and the costume doesn't have to be professional either.)

Unfortunately, in much less than 20 days, I myself could take a raw beginner and turn her into a "professional" dancer at some restaurants around here. All I would need is a beauty queen face, big boobs, a split skirt, and a coin scarf (and a lack of that isn't even a deal-breaker), and she could dance "professionally" in these places.

Also unfortunately because we have so many of that kind of thing, she would get the typical "professional" salary for women like this, which is ZERO -- since so many cute faces with split skirt will dance for free just for the "exposure" or the chance to show off.

Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately, in much less than 20 days, I myself could take a raw beginner and turn her into a "professional" dancer at some restaurants around here. All I would need is a beauty queen face, big boobs, a split skirt, and a coin scarf (and a lack of that isn't even a deal-breaker), and she could dance "professionally" in these places.

Also unfortunately because we have so many of that kind of thing, she would get the typical "professional" salary for women like this, which is ZERO -- since so many cute faces with split skirt will dance for free just for the "exposure" or the chance to show off.
    And an ex-employer could take a street walker and turn her into a "dancer" in one lesson (he provided the costume which I understand he "fitted" for her) and have her dance in his restaurant.

Post Thanks / Like

Eliza Doolittle Syndrome, Belly Dance Version.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by amoradance View Post
    Of course, anyone can have opinions but with foundations on knowing the teacher and her students resoults.

If you do NOT have those basics, you can NOT have truthfully an opinion, you will be just guessing from your own experiences as a student or a teacher.

In fact this it's the 2nd Forum in all the World (both in the USA), were they say that I am a "scammer", and those who afirmate such an insultive comment they DO NOT KNOW ME AT ALL !!!

Do you think that's fair?
    There are some things which are limited by a capacity to learn. Yes, a person with another dance background or experience in gymnastics or yoga may have enough understanding of their body to do moves in the time frame you claim. But you also claim that you can do this with any person - regardless of of experience and ability. Sorry - but you have to train both muscles and the brain and this takes repetition and time to consolidate the learning. This is nothing to do with opinion or guessing this is basic physiology.

But wait, there is more. You won't just teach them how to move but a thousand other things - not only do you need to shoehorn all this other learning in a tight time frame - it is done at the expense of the physical learning.

So either you are deluded - and your students don't learn everything you claim - or you are deliberately selling something you cannot deliver. The latter is by definition a "scammer".

Post Thanks / Like

I am not a professional dancer but I am an educator. Research indicates that you need to be exposed to the material at least 26 times over the equivalent of a 3 week period to have the maximum learning for anything. Add to that that it takes a while to establish muscle memory, I don't think you can go from very little knowledge to full dancer in a very short time and be proficient.
    I know from personal experience that I only retain so much knowledge from when I take workshops, even when I write things down. I believe that the "slower" old fashioned way will produce more proficient dancers.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast