Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Reinventing This Old Dog

Hi,
    I'm pretty old, nearly 60, and the last few years have been a nightmare,[long story, or rather,stories] and, to an extent, I am emerging from it. As part of the process, I NEED to reinvent myself. I have been learning and doing different things I dreamed of, way back when I was a child.

One thing I have decided to do, is learn belly-dancing. I ordered a few dvd's, and though of course I will never be professional, I'm enjoying myself, and it is helping to put back together my shattered self esteem.

Though this is a board comprised of many professional, or good, or at least the potential to be good, dancers, I was hoping that I would be welcomed.

Thank You

Victoria

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum!!

Now get thee to a live class, woman!! LOL You'll probably find a lot of people in situations similar to yours. I think my entire beginning class last term was reinventing themselves. It's a good, exciting thing to do

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome! So glad you are getting on with your life. I know you are going to enjoy bellydancing for a very long time, as most of us have been doing.

New York out in the 'burbs of Lungh Eylund
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Reinventing this Old Dog

Hi Victoria, Just turned 60 it's not so scary...actually not different than 59. Dancing is great and I remember one teacher saying that when you are an older dancer you can put more meaning in a simple gesture than a younger woman can. Welcome to the site. Oh and whinning about being old is fun especially when you don't mean it and can say such cool things as "Back in the last century when I was young." or "I have shoes older than you ." Creaks

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the welcome! Right now I am learning the basic steps, along with my granddaughter and her friends, through a couple of DVD's[ Bellydance For Wimps, and one by Neena and Veena] Eventually I would like to get into a class, but there are transportation issues at this point.

I have read so many of your posts and they are so inspirational. I am hopeful that now, at this stage in my life, I can finally live as my authentic self.

victoria

Post Thanks / Like

To quote my husband who had his 62nd birthday last Saturday: "The real question is not 'what do I want to be when I grow up' but rather 'what do I want to be next'." I married a very smart man thirty years ago.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

to the forum from another "older but wiser" (wiser than I was in my 20s) woman. I took my first lesson at 55 and still going strong7 years later. It was love at first hip-drop and that love continues to grow. I am so addicted that if I don't attend at least one class a week I have serious withdrawals. I began teaching last year and attend 2 to 3 classes a week, with 2 different teachers and spend as much time as possible immersed in the dance, via practice, on this forum, reading, internet, friends, costumes etc as well, I haven't had this much fun since I was a small child Actually I run out of hours, days and weeks all the time - My husband & son don't even notice anymore if I suddenly jump up during a meal/watching TV or whatever and put together a few layering movements ( it has all become totally normal & everyday)- such instantaneous ideas/thoughts come with the addiction. Hopefully you will be able to get to at least one class a week eventually. Enjoy the journey!
    ~Mosaic

PS: You are not old until you flop into the armchair, give up and stop dreaming You've just got a lot of life under your (hip) belt. People can be old at 30 you know, just take a look around you.
    Last edited by Mosaic; 03-02-2011 at 09:28 PM.
    Dance is like glitter, it not only colours your life, it makes you sparkle, you find it everywhere and in everything and it's near impossible to get rid of. (unknown)

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think the OP is old at ALL...(and I'm only 36)

I too have known "old" and "young" people of different ages. One of the "oldest" people I ever met was only 17 and 18 years old...and one of the "youngest" was about 66 or 67 when I met her.

as for reinventing yourself and using dance for healing....I'm doing the same thing...and it's great.

And don't worry, you are NOT the only one who is not a professional or near professional dancer on here. I studied belly dance for two months. and am just getting back into it now after a break of two months. I'm at the very beginning of the intermediate level at best and that's only because I used to study and practice for more than an hour every single day when most classes are for an hour a week.

This means I'm almost good enough to perform for my friends without all the clapping having to be out of politeness, but not even CLOSE to being good enough to dance in front of a general audience..

Post Thanks / Like

I would liketo share something about myself. I have high functioning autism. There is a significant ammount of controversy as to whether or not Aspergers and high functioning autism are the same thing. I, personally, do not believe they are, regardless of the opinion of the 'experts".

I was mute until I was 7 years old, and considered moderately mentally retarded. I have HUGE anxiety issues when speaking to other people, and to a lesser degree, even while posting online, which causes me to have difficulty choosing the "correct" words, phrasing, etc.

Ironically, I am a fiction writer. In order to write though, I have a ritual I go through that enables me [ussually] to "fold into myself," [ I can't think of a better way to explain it, which.. I know..sure doesn't sound like a writer] and enter a world which is much less frightening, and, where, hey, I can write.

Anyway, it was while I was writing that a character "popped up", one I found incredibly intriguing. "She" is the original inspiration for my desire to learn to belly dance. And you ladies, you will be my ongoing inspiration. Thank you so much.

Victoria

Post Thanks / Like

Vicki, what an inspirational story! I am pretty new at this also, about 6 months in. I think I'm intermediate but in my opinion I'm not good enough until I'm performing solo and get a standing ovation. Haha I am one of those "older" young'ns... In high school, my nickname was "Mom" and in college, it became "Granny" and "Mawmaw". It really is great that you are able to reinvent yourself, having an alter ego makes it so much easier (in my opinion). I am naturally very outgoing in real-life, but a perfectionist and a smarty-pants. Nailah accepts her body the way it is and expresses every emotion even if it shouldn't be right. Well, anyway, I just want to say that YOU my dear are the inspiration and you have so much to share through dance!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast