Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vickivicki View Post
    I would liketo share something about myself. I have high functioning autism. There is a significant ammount of controversy as to whether or not Aspergers and high functioning autism are the same thing. I, personally, do not believe they are, regardless of the opinion of the 'experts".

I was mute until I was 7 years old, and considered moderately mentally retarded. I have HUGE anxiety issues when speaking to other people, and to a lesser degree, even while posting online, which causes me to have difficulty choosing the "correct" words, phrasing, etc.

Ironically, I am a fiction writer. In order to write though, I have a ritual I go through that enables me [ussually] to "fold into myself," [ I can't think of a better way to explain it, which.. I know..sure doesn't sound like a writer] and enter a world which is much less frightening, and, where, hey, I can write.

Anyway, it was while I was writing that a character "popped up", one I found incredibly intriguing. "She" is the original inspiration for my desire to learn to belly dance. And you ladies, you will be my ongoing inspiration. Thank you so much.

Victoria
    Victoria, thank you for sharing, and I love the way you put it "fold into myself" - I think it is wonderful you do that and can find that peaceful place that allows you to write. May you continue to be inspired and I'm sure many of us will be inspired by you

PS I love your name Victoria, on my 8th Christmas "Santa" gave me one of the first walky-talky dolls made ( nothing like today's dolls - but I loved her) I named her Victoria Suzzanne, 4 years later my only girl cousin at the time was born and I asked my aunt to call her Victoria Suzzanne (she is known as Tori by her friends but the full Victoria by family) which she did. I still have that doll, she is kept in a glass case for safe keeping as there are few of these left in the world now.
    ~Mosaic
    Dance is like glitter, it not only colours your life, it makes you sparkle, you find it everywhere and in everything and it's near impossible to get rid of. (unknown)

Post Thanks / Like

I love getting to know our new members! Thank you for sharing, Victoria. Are you familiar with Dr. Temple Grandin? She is a professor of Animal Science at the University of Colorado and also a person with high functioning autism. Quite a lady, that one! Just in case you are interested, here is her web site :

Dr. Temple Grandin's Official Autism Website
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

Default You know, i also have huge anxiety

and not rarely, severe stress symptoms if i am to speak to people, esp. if they are many, or they are something like an audience, or they are powerful within certain context - and yes, it is difficult to post too in this forum... i must have to tell something, to persuade myself to post... however, it took me some years to realise that people here are very nice and i need not to worry that much!

so, i think that bellydance fits me because i do not need to speak! i just dance! and believe me, people understand much easier through music and movement than through words...

Welcome to the bellydance universe!

Post Thanks / Like

What an incredible group of women you all are. Temple Grandin has done more to advance the understanding of 'creatively wired" people than anyone I can think of.[by the way, Dan Akroyd and Daryl Hannah are both autistic. Bill Gates, though he hasn't publicly acknowledged it, I believe is also] When my son was first diagnosed[my diagnosis followed almost immediately afterwards] I was horrified. Some might say I was in denial, but I don't believe that was the case.

My problem was that, though L.J. and I fit the criteria for autism, the pervading belief AMONG PROFESSIONALS was that those with autism lack empathy and compassion, which could not be further from the truth.

Also, in addition to being autistic, my son has ADHD, Tourettes, and an entire bucketful of co-morbidities[one of them devastatingly tortous] We have been told for YEARS that he will eventually need to be institutionalized. Guess what? It's not going to happen. My son will be happy and successful, by whatever his definition of those things are.

And me? Well, there have been circumstances in the past few years which I have allowed to suck the joy out of me. NO MORE! Why should I be crying in my pillow, when I can , albeit clumsily and awkwardly, dance with the universe.

Victoria

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vickivicki View Post
    [Snip]NO MORE! Why should I be crying in my pillow, when I can , albeit clumsily and awkwardly, dance with the universe.

Victoria
    WooHoo! What a powerful and beautiful statement Victoria. Now that is a perfect signature line for you

You sure have had a lot on your 'life' plate, but it seems to me you are a very strong lady and have managed to deal with it, and it doesn't hurt to shed tears when the going gets tough ... it give one time to find the strength & power within. So happy for you that you have found our beautiful dance
    ~Mosaic
    Dance is like glitter, it not only colours your life, it makes you sparkle, you find it everywhere and in everything and it's near impossible to get rid of. (unknown)

Post Thanks / Like

Why should I be crying in my pillow, when I can , albeit clumsily and awkwardly, dance with the universe.
    An apt quote for everyone who is tempted to give up.

And the longer you dance with the universe, the more graceful that dance will be!
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome Victoria!

I'm also very interested in writing, in fact, the course I've applied to at Uni is focused around that.

Its good that you're doing things you always wanted to and I hope you feel as alive and free as I do when I dance =]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12