Something that might be useful for cabaret/tribal dancers

Elfie

OFFICIAL Ahh Bra - Discover comfort, discover great looks! - As Seen on TV

If this bra does what it says it does, I think buying several and layering them with a single decorated one on top might be a very cool idea for tribal dancers. Trimming two and decorating the front/cup area of one with sparkles to be worn together layered could be cool for cabaret style. I'm trying to figure out how to take versatile pieces and use them with different aesthetics.

Any ideas with this? A bit pricey but... it might be worth a try.

Farasha Hanem

I'm not a seamstress, although I do try to repair costumes and make simple things. Wish I had some advise to offer. :confused: Would you like for me to move this thread to Costumes, Elfie? :think:

Shanazel

They don't appear to be sized by the cup which would concern me since I have plenty to stuff in somewhere. The idea of using them for a tribal costume is an interesting one, though I'm not sure how you'd decorate them. They're nylon, a fiber that can be problematic when you want to change the color. I did find this article re: dyeing nylon.

FAQ: How can I dye nylon or polyamide?

Amulya

They don't have the right shape and support to use as belly dance top/bra. Maybe to use for underneath a top when going to classes? But for performing? Not really I think.

Amanda (was Aziyade)

They have an extremely similar bra at Sears. I tried one on, thinking I would use it as a sports bra, but it didn't have enough support for all the bouncing. They are comfortable though. But they aren't all that figure-flattering. It's basically a sports-bra/cami.

I think this would be a BEAR to cover -- trying to sew decorations onto a knit/elastic anything is major difficult because you almost have to be wearing it as you sew.

Still, see if your local stores have something similar and give it a try! You might just stumble upon the next great costume fashion! :)

Elfie

Ah, see... not being a seamstress, I didn't know nylon was hard to decorate!

I noticed that a lot of dancers who were bigger seem to have trouble with the body pouching around the bra's back strap, underarm area... and yes, some look like they are falling out of their stuff. I thought this might be a soution to that sort of problem.

Shana: What about sewing cups into it... kind of like the shirts you see with built in bras?

Farasha: I dunno... doesn't seem like it would fit in costumes... but if you don't mind porting it... I'd love to hear what some other costumers think.

Aniseteph

I've seen similar things on the shopping channels where they say how great the support is from just controlled stretchiness. For small cup size and perky with it perhaps they are OK, but for serious lift 'n' separate and bounce control I don't see it working.

I've got a soft sports bra which looks similar and is great for class under a top, or even as a crop top if I was less bothered about getting my midriff out, but it does tend to gather everything together into a solid cleavagey wodge at the front. Not an issue in class, but not look I would want in a costume.

Amulya

Shana: What about sewing cups into it... kind of like the shirts you see with built in bras?

Wouldn't be hard enough material, you really need kind of an armour material for belly dance bra's no matter what your cup size is, because it has to carry the weight of the embellishments and also stay in shape. I reinforce bra's with buckram. I buy a push up bra for that, take the push up thingies out and sew buckram in the cups. That is a very nice base for a belly dance bra :)

Elfie

I've seen similar things on the shopping channels where they say how great the support is from just controlled stretchiness. For small cup size and perky with it perhaps they are OK, but for serious lift 'n' separate and bounce control I don't see it working.

I've got a soft sports bra which looks similar and is great for class under a top, or even as a crop top if I was less bothered about getting my midriff out, but it does tend to gather everything together into a solid cleavagey wodge at the front. Not an issue in class, but not look I would want in a costume.

Yup. Late night infomercials and no coffee. :lol: That's exactly where I saw these.

Imeera

It looks great I would use this for certain types of costumes or practice, provided the support was enough for dance, but I have a small waste with a large cup size (32FF) I have problems with dresses and tops not fitting me let alone something like this. I don't think these would not work for me at all. Looks great for smaller busts but not for curvy women =[

Shanazel

If I wanted the effect of a vest, which this sorta would be, I'd make a turkish style vest and a bra with good, strong, decorated cups to show in the front.

Elfie, you had a real good idea and one that might work for the small breasted if the bras were made out of decent material.

Elfie

If I wanted the effect of a vest, which this sorta would be, I'd make a turkish style vest and a bra with good, strong, decorated cups to show in the front.

Elfie, you had a real good idea and one that might work for the small breasted if the bras were made out of decent material.

Bolding mine: Thanks. I admit, I'm not largely busty... A C cup is about average and I have one breast that's a big B and one that's a big C. I might never be able use these because of that noticeable difference in my breasts... but I do think that maybe they could work for us small/average busted ladies. As long as things are... firm. Some women get a little jiggly after having the behbehs. I did, so I need extra support in the breast area. I just wish I could find something without wires that I could use for belly dance (that's why these caught my interest, actually). The wires in bras irritate the curve underneath my breasts something fierce, even after that bra is padded and covered with fabric.

I might buy some of these (or something similar) and give it a try. Who knows? It might never be the next trend in belly dance wear, but it might be something useful for practice or class or something. Thanks for your input, everyone!