Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Reen.Blom View Post
    Teaches how to dance to music. To many dvds use music as backdrop, instead of working directly with it.

Instead of giving empty combos I want a dvd that would tell me - hear these beats in the music and this is how you can interpret them... and this move like hip drop you can put on one beat, and this move (eg camel) you use 2 beats, etc...
    Agreed. Years ago I went looking for this all over the place and couldn't find anything. There are very few DVDs that cover this. One of them is Saida's rhythms DVD, but it's in Spanish. It was the only one I could find back then that was what I was looking for... it goes over rhythms and then possible combinations you can do to that rhythm. Even though I don't really use most of her combinations, that DVD did wonders for my musicality and sparked my interest for playing the darbuka.

Ranya Renee's DVDs also do a great job with musicality, but I only discovered them later on.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yame View Post
    I'd like to see DVDs on the following subjects:

6. daily drills for loosening up movement

Here is a drill for that
    1.Glass of red wine
    2. Tequila until desired level of looseness achieved.

JUST KIDDING! Couldn't resist

I've not purchased any dvds. A friend lent me a Sadie dvd one time and I never got around to watching it. Not sure I have the patience to learn from a dvd. Will have to put some thought into what I would like to learn from one if I was going to

Post Thanks / Like

i have a pretty nice sized belly dance dvd collection (27 plus ordered 2 more today)
    i have the turns and spins dvd. summer sahar does have a lot of jazz influence but in my opinion adding variety to spins adds dimension to the dance. she breaks them down very well. i like the dvd very much, and find it useful. I also have all of ranya renee's dvds (just got taqasim on monday). They are great for learning egyptian muscial theory. Ranya's taqasim dvd also explores pairing up certain movements with certain sounds/instruments.
    i would love to see a dvd that explores transitions. i am also on the hunt for dvds that explore more folkloric moves, nuances, expressions. I study mostly egyptian style dance, but everything out there is mostly sharqi style/reda influenced (which i love), but i would like to step outside that box and be a little more baladi/folk. i have two saidi dvds, waiting on a 3rd, but other than that ive never seen any egyptian folk dance dvds except mohamed shahin. he has a dvd on andalusian dance and tanoura, but he's the only one i know of.
    i wish i could travel to egypt and learn folk dance but evidently i've spent all my money on belly dance dvds.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MissVega View Post
    Here is a drill for that
    1.Glass of red wine
    Oh, so THAT's your secret!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MissVega View Post
    Here is a drill for that
    1.Glass of red wine

JUST KIDDING! Couldn't resist

I've not purchased any dvds. A friend lent me a Sadie dvd one time and I never got around to watching it. Not sure I have the patience to learn from a dvd. Will have to put some thought into what I would like to learn from one if I was going to

funny, and very tempting!
    i think i acquired so many dvds because ive always been working and going to school and it could be difficult to fit a class into my schedule. good quality dvds can be a good supplement.

if your friend lent you the sadie thrillin drillin dvd, yeah, i got that one too. despite not being a big fan of sadie/kaya duo, i do have a couple of their dvds and their teaching technique is pretty good. they have a pretty good handle on teaching some pretty challenging layering technique, with a lot of pop/lock accenting. i dont really like their style of dancing (from all the performances i've seen, they pop/lock too much!), but, in my opinion, learning the style adds some dimension, some variation.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yame View Post
    Oh, so THAT's your secret!
    It does explain the couple of times I've fallen while dancing

Although I don't drink, but I should pretend I do and use it as an excuse for bad decisions. LIke the time I was out dancing with a friend and got the idea "Hey I wonder if I can dutty wine AND do drop and come back up ALL while still dutty wining".. the short answer was no, no I couldn't and I found myself on my butt And resulted in the bouncer coming over and asking how much I've had to drink.
    WHats that saying? "We're fools whether or not we dance, so we might as well dance"

I would like Saida to do a dvd like the one Yame described in English LOL. And Natalia Fadda to do a dvd in English. I don't care what she covers, just have her teach me LOL! I still have a huge bellydance girl crush on her

Post Thanks / Like

This may be off topic but I would love to find a Greek folk dance instructional video that goes beyond beginning moves. Specifically, as I've mentioned before, I love the Hasapiko/Hasaposerviko but also Tsamiko as danced by women. These videos are very rare, if they exist at all.

Post Thanks / Like

Nadira Jamal from Boston just sent out a note saying she is working on a DVD on transitions that should be available towards the end of October but maybe earlier. I've got her other DVD's and they are great. Ranya's latest DVD on Takseem has so much on Musicality that it is great.

Post Thanks / Like

I would love more DvDs on Khaleegy and Baladi. Each of them I know only one DvD that would be suitable, the Khaleegy one is so expensive the other I ordered last week and it shipped this week, but I still have to wait 2-3 weeks for it to arrive from America. I could have gotten it from the UK but it would have been too expencive =[ I really want to start working with it, I want it to arrive noooooooow xD

Post Thanks / Like

Karim Nagi is coming out with a folkloric dvd later this year. The subjects will be Saidi, Dabki, Khaligi, and Sufi.

He also has a dvd on musicality that is available from Suhaila, and soon from filmbaby.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast