I want a DVD that....

Yame

Karim Nagi is coming out with a folkloric dvd later this year. The subjects will be Saidi, Dabki, Khaligi, and Sufi.

That's wonderful!

Speaking of which, he will be in NJ May 1st teaching dabke and Saidi. For anyone in the Northeast, this is an awesome opportunity!

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Karim Nagi is coming out with a folkloric dvd later this year. The subjects will be Saidi, Dabki, Khaligi, and Sufi.

He also has a dvd on musicality that is available from Suhaila, and soon from filmbaby.

That sounds fabulous, must watch for that one.
~Mosaic

Ariadne

I'd also like a DVD that focuses on use of arms in Egyptian style (it would be absolutely lovely to see a dvd cover Egyptian style arms in different era's and styles, from the Golden Age to Urban Cairo... whew!)
The more I think about this the more I think that a DVD on Traditional Oriental Arms would be awesome. I have looked at several arms DVD's and they all seem to be based in Ballet/Jazz arm movement even using the 1st and second position etc to describe them. I would LOVE an arms DVD that covered traditional Egyption, Turkish, and Romani arm movements and actions (like the stabbing through the heart one) and when they are appropriate to use in interpreting the music.

-explains the differences between American Oriental/Tribal belly dance and Egyptian Raqs Sharqi clearly in detail;...
Ohhhh could you imagine if it also went through music and the differences in both the music and dance and how each would interpret the same piece for multiple styles and not just the American and Egyptian? That would be just amazing!

RahimaMJR

I just saw the Body Language (with Neon) and I'm lusting after it...such a cool idea, kind of like a dancer's dictionary for body language. Getting emotionally involved with the music is so important, but I find that feeling the emotion and conveying it can be two different things...I think this DVD would be helpful in learning to portray various feelings and ideas to your audience.

Another good one on the topic might be Meaning in Movement (with Alimah):

But the approach here is a little different, and it appears like it may be more instructional rather than for reference.

Anyone have one or both of these? Which would you recommend? :)

I would just like to find a DVD that offered two or three drilling sessions. Nothing fancy, just something I could put on and have a thorough workout to between classes.

I've got a few, but what they're missing is a version where they run through all the exercises without explanations or pauses.

Darshiva

You might want to track down Nadira Jamal's series of dvds for that. I've got her taktaba series (which you can also download for free from her blog) and have seen the improv toolkit and they both hit the nail on the head for strict drill time with no instruction after an initial how-to for each section.

jenc

You might want to track down Nadira Jamal's series of dvds for that. I've got her taktaba series (which you can also download for free from her blog) and have seen the improv toolkit and they both hit the nail on the head for strict drill time with no instruction after an initial how-to for each section.

Yes but as they are about improv - they might not be what OP needs. I think she wants to drill basic movements. I like Jillina's Shape Up and Hip n'Hip Out also Luscious and Love Potion by Neon for a workout usung BD moves

Darshiva

I think Keti's 1001 moves does that but the drill parts are pretty short (mostly to save on space - it's a 3 dvd set)

Amulya

I
-explains the differences between American Oriental/Tribal belly dance and Egyptian Raqs Sharqi clearly in detail

That would be very good, I'd like to see even more dance styles covered in it. Get all the folkloric styles in there as well and all the subtle nuances in Egyptian styles (classic, modern etc.), get Lebanese, Turkish and Greek styles as well.
Plus, to make it even more complicated, how styles vary even in western countries. For example the difference between Russian/Ukranian belly dance styles, American, European etc. Then there could be also things included like gothic belly dance etc.

That would not be one DVD but a whole series :D

LuLu

I would just like to find a DVD that offered two or three drilling sessions. Nothing fancy, just something I could put on and have a thorough workout to between classes.

I've got a few, but what they're missing is a version where they run through all the exercises without explanations or pauses.

I use this one it has Isolation drills shimmy drills and strengthening drills and yoga

Serpentine: Belly Dance with Rachel Brice DVD :: WorldDanceNewYork.com :: bellydance - YouTube