I want a DVD that....

Ariadne

Recently we had "Project Bellydance" where the winner is going to make a DVD and the question was asked "what DVD subject do people want to see?" I really didn't have an answer for the winner since it's not my style of dance but then after making a post on what I would love in a zill DVD I started thinking...

...there are a ton of beginner bellydance DVD's out there and very good ones at that. What as dancers would we like to see on a DVD that isn't for beginners? What specific area of expertize would you love to get your hands on if you could ask and get a DVD just for you?

Me? I want a DVD that teaches how to learn to dance improve but thanks to someone mentioning Nadira I think I've found that. The other thing I want I mentioned in the other thread:
What I wouldn't give for one good instruction DVD that not only drilled with movement but covered music theory, both styles of zilling including alternating between the two, zilling the actual drum patterns, and how to use the different styles of strikes to create unique sounding patterns and then drilling them!

So who's next? ;)

Yame

I'd like to see DVDs on the following subjects:

1. transitions
2. arms and hands, arms with zills, body lines
3. Khaliji
4. dabke
5. spinning technique
6. daily drills for loosening up movement
7. energy and expression in performance
8. the classics
9. dynamism and variation in choreography

There is a lot more I could add, but for now I'll leave it at that. I know DVDs already exist on some of these topics, but they are few and far between. I also realize some of these topics would be very hard to convey properly in a DVD. Some of these wouldn't necessarily have to be a tutorial... they could be in a documentary format, for example ("The Classics" could make a great documentary about Middle Eastern music)

I'd also like to see more DVDs that cover necessary background information on whatever their topic is. History, cultural info, and musicality should be included when appropriate. Very few DVDs cover these things, instead focusing only on movement. This can be a good format for certain types of DVDs (belly dance workout DVDs, for example), but for other types I think DVDs are generally lacking those things when they shouldn't be.

It would be utopic to actually expect all that from a DVD, but it's not impossible to format a DVD in a way that teaches how to dance without excluding essential background information. A great example of a DVD like that is "Raw Roman," a new DVD that just came out about Turkish Roman dance. I purchased it as soon as it was announced, and though I haven't had the chance to get up and physically work on it yet (too many projects before I get to that one), I did watch the whole DVD and it covers all those aspects I mentioned above.

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Nadira Jamal's DVDs are good Ariadne. Just read an article written by her this morning and it is 'purr-fect' food for thought to go with improv
Taktaba: Does Your Dancing Need More "Kitty"?

Yame I also would like a Dabke DVD
Daily drills for loosening up sounds good to me as well.

One of Cheeky Girls Productions is all about spins & turns, I don't have it .. yet, but it sounds good Turn It Up! - belly dance DVD

and Amera here in Aussie has a Khaliji DVD which is suppose to be very good, but I think it's too expensive at $60 or I would have bought it by now. Ameras Palace Bellydance Boutique

~Mosaic

Yame

One of Cheeky Girls Productions is all about spins & turns, I don't have it .. yet, but it sounds good Turn It Up! - belly dance DVD
That sounds awesome! I never heard about it... I'll probably get it eventually.

and Amera here in Aussie has a Khaliji DVD which is suppose to be very good, but I think it's too expensive at $60 or I would have bought it by now. Ameras Palace Bellydance Boutique

~Mosaic
I had heard about that one... I think someone on this forum recommended it to me, actually. I keep telling myself I'll buy it but every time I am about to do it, I just can't swallow that price tag.

Yshka

Ooh, nice subject Ariadne! As I watched through Ranya Renee's beautiful, beautiful, beautiful, fantastic, absolutely amazing, (did I say beautiful? :D) kick-ass 2-disc Baladi programme, I'd say she has all of those things covered: from background to musicality to musical theory and actual live musicians to accompany the explanations... WOW. This baby will keep me busy for quite some time! (Plus, is it me, or does Ranya have the sexiest, absolutely juiciest way of explaining meaning in movement and muscular use ever? I thoroughly adore even just watching through her DVD's before practising along).

I'd love to see those things included in DVD's more indeed. Musicality and theory on the music concerning the subject, historical and cultural info concerning subject and (even if in bits, that is lovely and that way it really sticks for most people), tidbits of knowledge about dance, experiences, that sort of thing.

For me right now, I'd say I'd be looking for a DVD that goes into dynamic choreographing (like Yame said), one more along the lines of creating a 'guideline' to make choreography more interesting, that would, in a perfect DVD, include theory on choreograhing and creating dance.
I'd also like a DVD that focuses on use of arms in Egyptian style (it would be absolutely lovely to see a dvd cover Egyptian style arms in different era's and styles, from the Golden Age to Urban Cairo... whew!).

As for the Turns and Spins DVD, dear ladies, I say go ahead and get it! I have it and went through it a couple of times (it's just that my schedule doesn't leave me much DVD-time at the moment when also trying to fit in my drills and personal practise sessions and that bugs me to pieces ;)) and she goes through various types of turns, technique, posture and alignment of arms etc. very nicely. For me it's definitely worth having (and I think Summer Sahar kicks ass btw:D in both her teaching style and lovely way of moving).

Mosaic

Super Moderator
I love, love Ranya Renee's baladi 2 disc set and am waiting for her latest to arrive:D Should be any day now.

I am definitely going to buy the Spins & Turns one after that glowing report Yshka:D

I know what you mean about the Khaleeji DVDs price, Yame, I have looked at it several times but click away from the webpage with a gulp everytime the price is crazy!
~Mosaic

gisela

Super Moderator
I justgot the spins and turns dvd together with Alimah's Meaning in Movement. I like the spins dvd a lot, but it is very ballet and jazz style turns. I think it is great for really understanding how the turning works and for getting the right balance and posture. I would have liked to see more oriental style turns, mainly with other arm paths. Actually, now I think, it was mostly the arms that made me want to tweak it a bit. The footwork is really very nicely taught.

Jane

I'd like a DVD that:

-analyzes Egyptian professional performances with in depth play by play commentary.
-explains the differences between American Oriental/Tribal belly dance and Egyptian Raqs Sharqi clearly in detail; and how to switch your dance to be more authentic Egyptian in style.
-has more information about footwork and floor patterns.
-explains stage dynamics for a large stage specifically for belly dancers.

Reen.Blom

Teaches how to dance to music. To many dvds use music as backdrop, instead of working directly with it.

Instead of giving empty combos I want a dvd that would tell me - hear these beats in the music and this is how you can interpret them... and this move like hip drop you can put on one beat, and this move (eg camel) you use 2 beats, etc...

Ariadne

That would be a great DVD idea Reen. I know I would buy it. :)

Nadira Jamal's DVDs are good Ariadne. Just read an article written by her this morning and it is 'purr-fect' food for thought to go with improv
Taktaba: Does Your Dancing Need More "Kitty"?
:lol: Ohhhh I like that phrase. I am so going to remember that.

I haven't bought her DVD's yet. I want to work my way through her downloads first then follow up with them. I really like what I have seen so far.

~Mosaic
I'm with Yame and you about the price Mosaic. I have actually been able to see the DVD and it does a great job of covering the basics but at that price... I can live without dancing Khaleegy for now.

Yame

Teaches how to dance to music. To many dvds use music as backdrop, instead of working directly with it.

Instead of giving empty combos I want a dvd that would tell me - hear these beats in the music and this is how you can interpret them... and this move like hip drop you can put on one beat, and this move (eg camel) you use 2 beats, etc...

Agreed. Years ago I went looking for this all over the place and couldn't find anything. There are very few DVDs that cover this. One of them is Saida's rhythms DVD, but it's in Spanish. It was the only one I could find back then that was what I was looking for... it goes over rhythms and then possible combinations you can do to that rhythm. Even though I don't really use most of her combinations, that DVD did wonders for my musicality and sparked my interest for playing the darbuka.

Ranya Renee's DVDs also do a great job with musicality, but I only discovered them later on.

MissVega

I'd like to see DVDs on the following subjects:

6. daily drills for loosening up movement

Here is a drill for that
1.Glass of red wine
2. Tequila until desired level of looseness achieved.:lol:

JUST KIDDING! Couldn't resist;)

I've not purchased any dvds. A friend lent me a Sadie dvd one time and I never got around to watching it. Not sure I have the patience to learn from a dvd. Will have to put some thought into what I would like to learn from one if I was going to:think::think:

RayaDancer

i have a pretty nice sized belly dance dvd collection (27 plus ordered 2 more today:))
i have the turns and spins dvd. summer sahar does have a lot of jazz influence but in my opinion adding variety to spins adds dimension to the dance. she breaks them down very well. i like the dvd very much, and find it useful. I also have all of ranya renee's dvds (just got taqasim on monday). They are great for learning egyptian muscial theory. Ranya's taqasim dvd also explores pairing up certain movements with certain sounds/instruments.
i would love to see a dvd that explores transitions. i am also on the hunt for dvds that explore more folkloric moves, nuances, expressions. I study mostly egyptian style dance, but everything out there is mostly sharqi style/reda influenced (which i love), but i would like to step outside that box and be a little more baladi/folk. i have two saidi dvds, waiting on a 3rd, but other than that ive never seen any egyptian folk dance dvds except mohamed shahin. he has a dvd on andalusian dance and tanoura, but he's the only one i know of.
i wish i could travel to egypt and learn folk dance but evidently i've spent all my money on belly dance dvds. :lol:

RayaDancer

Here is a drill for that
1.Glass of red wine
2. Tequila until desired level of looseness achieved.:lol:

JUST KIDDING! Couldn't resist;)

I've not purchased any dvds. A friend lent me a Sadie dvd one time and I never got around to watching it. Not sure I have the patience to learn from a dvd. Will have to put some thought into what I would like to learn from one if I was going to:think::think:

:lol:
funny, and very tempting!
i think i acquired so many dvds because ive always been working and going to school and it could be difficult to fit a class into my schedule. good quality dvds can be a good supplement.

if your friend lent you the sadie thrillin drillin dvd, yeah, i got that one too. :) despite not being a big fan of sadie/kaya duo, i do have a couple of their dvds and their teaching technique is pretty good. they have a pretty good handle on teaching some pretty challenging layering technique, with a lot of pop/lock accenting. i dont really like their style of dancing (from all the performances i've seen, they pop/lock too much!), but, in my opinion, learning the style adds some dimension, some variation.

MissVega

Oh, so THAT's your secret! :lol:

It does explain the couple of times I've fallen while dancing;)

Although I don't drink, but I should pretend I do and use it as an excuse for bad decisions. LIke the time I was out dancing with a friend and got the idea "Hey I wonder if I can dutty wine AND do drop and come back up ALL while still dutty wining".. the short answer was no, no I couldn't and I found myself on my butt:lol: And resulted in the bouncer coming over and asking how much I've had to drink. :rolleyes:
WHats that saying? "We're fools whether or not we dance, so we might as well dance":D

I would like Saida to do a dvd like the one Yame described in English LOL. And Natalia Fadda to do a dvd in English. I don't care what she covers, just have her teach me LOL! I still have a huge bellydance girl crush on her:cool:

Greek Bonfire

This may be off topic but I would love to find a Greek folk dance instructional video that goes beyond beginning moves. Specifically, as I've mentioned before, I love the Hasapiko/Hasaposerviko but also Tsamiko as danced by women. These videos are very rare, if they exist at all.

teela

Nadira Jamal from Boston just sent out a note saying she is working on a DVD on transitions that should be available towards the end of October but maybe earlier. I've got her other DVD's and they are great. Ranya's latest DVD on Takseem has so much on Musicality that it is great.

Imeera

I would love more DvDs on Khaleegy and Baladi. Each of them I know only one DvD that would be suitable, the Khaleegy one is so expensive the other I ordered last week and it shipped this week, but I still have to wait 2-3 weeks for it to arrive from America. I could have gotten it from the UK but it would have been too expencive =[ I really want to start working with it, I want it to arrive noooooooow xD

Amanda (was Aziyade)

Karim Nagi is coming out with a folkloric dvd later this year. The subjects will be Saidi, Dabki, Khaligi, and Sufi.

He also has a dvd on musicality that is available from Suhaila, and soon from filmbaby.