Your favorite moves in Belly dance

gisela

Super Moderator
I see, thanks a bunch Daim, for explaining so well. The flat keany is kind of how I do the jewel actually but now I know there are two different distinct moves with names I am going to practice making them different. I really like the high keany. It looks great!

Daimona

I see, thanks a bunch Daim, for explaining so well. The flat keany is kind of how I do the jewel actually but now I know there are two different distinct moves with names I am going to practice making them different. I really like the high keany. It looks great!

You are welcome, Gisela. The high keany is my favourite of them.

To make the confusion complete, some also call the keanys for jewels.
I'd rather think of them as a part of the jewel group of movements as the are rather closely related, but not exactly the same. :)

astro_girl

The horse shoe (I think it's called) where you do the u-shaped hip drop on one side, then swing back and start the same thing on the other side...moving backward.

I also love the corkscrew, and almost as much the twisting camel. I don't know the proper names for these, if these are slang terms.

Amanda (was Aziyade)

I don't know the proper names for these, if these are slang terms.

We don't have a codified and systematic way of defining any of our movements, so there really isn't a "proper" term for anything. Different dancers have created different systems based upon their own movement definitions, like Jamila Salimpour, but those names aren't universally acknowledged -- and a lot of times one name can apply to several different movements.

I love the vertical figure 8, I love how it looks and it I practice it all the time. My teacher calls it taxeem, I but I'm used to it being called as maya. I think I got the names right and not confusing moves.

Last edited:

Roshanna

I didn't even know the keanys had a name, I've been calling them '8 with twisty thing' in my notes! Definitely a nice move :)

Also really love mayas, huge hip circles with a total weight shift, and 3/4 shimmies done with a twist or hip slide. One of my teachers calls the twisting 3/4 shimmy something that sounds like 'hizzy la wizz' (which I'm sure isn't spelled anything like that, as I think it's French for something like goose walk...?).

LadyFatima

I ADORE doing belly rolls the most!!:D

I like starting them off slowly, and then gradually go faster and faster (i usually get a lot of clapping and cheering when I do those hehe)

I also like to either hold my arms out to the side or above my head, and then do belly rolls while slowly lowering myself to the ground, and then continue doing them as I stand back upright again.

Doing belly rolls while gently walking backwards is another fun one. . .:dance:

Melika

Backward arabesque w/ undulation

My fav fav FAV move...I try to squeeze it in almost every choreography I do...LOVE it!!! and I step down into the undulation to add a level...:dance:

Melika

Oooh...and I love mayas...being a hobbit and close to the ground, I feel comfortable doing them - I like to drag them out slowly - never quickly...

jenc

Large slowe hip circle straight into a couple of omis like your hips are winding down - very cute

natesfeliz

I am more of a "hip" girl. I like moves with hips. I have nothing against shimmy and using the shoulders, but I definitely prefer hip movements., be it an eight, a camel movement, a hip drop or anything else :)

Roxanne37

Seona- in tribal it's called a Turkish shimmy, if that helps. Basically you step from foot to foot, but the left foot steps on the spot, while the right foot steps fwd then back. Does that make sense? It must have other names, but I was taught it as turkish step.
Was also confused but think I know what you mean now. In SA we mainly call it 3/4 shimmy.

My favourites- 3/4 shimmy, chest lifts, piston hips and hip drops.

Sophia Maria

Oooh, favorite moves! I know this is an older thread but since I'm new and lurking around on the forums, I found this and had to comment!

My favorites, which my body seems to want to do constantly:dance: are hip drops with a little twist so you drop to back, to the front, to back, ad infinitum! and umis (love these, you can make them so light and delicate, or really earthy and gushy), belly rolls (hehe as soon as I figured out how I started doing them non-stop), shoulder rolls (they're cute), and the arabic float.

Also I just love love love footwork and floor patterns. I love it when dancers can come up with innovative new ways to just walk around :)