Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Britney in a BD class would definitely send me screaming to the nearest exit! I'd expect a long yellow snake to appear forthwith, for one thing...
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by moppy View Post
    I don't teach belly dancing, but I do teach ballroom, so just a few general tips on keeping all types of dance lessons fun -

- Always have music playing. Even when your class isn't using it play it low in the background. Lulls in momentum and awkward silences tend to be magnified by actual deafening silence, so alleviate awkwardness and liven the atmosphere with constant music.

- Show your personality and connect with people. People pay for lessons instead of DVDs because you get the human connection. Create and mold a teaching persona (I believe your teaching persona should just be a magnification of your normal personality) ; are you a clown, a diva, or something else?

- Make people laugh. Tell a funny story about a performance or use a funny analogy. It's disarming and let's them see a less intimidating side of you.

- Try different types of music to keep it fresh - Hip drop to a rap song and shimmy to Britney!

Have fun!
    Thanks Moppy, my class is coming up and what you suggest is worth a try. I do like using different music to dance but would leaned more towards music with middle eastern or oriental beat. Shakira's good but not Britney or rap music.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Genmies View Post
    Thanks Moppy, my class is coming up and what you suggest is worth a try. I do like using different music to dance but would leaned more towards music with middle eastern or oriental beat. Shakira's good but not Britney or rap music.
    No probs! One mans trash as they say! Any version of that Kiss, Kiss song would probably work.

I think if you're happy, comfortable with and enthusiastic about what you're teaching then confidence and a fun atmosphere will materialize.

Post Thanks / Like

Moppy - I like the idea of having music on all the time. I usually turn it down when I explain things in more detail (i.e. it is a longer talk)... I'll try to keep the music on the whole time in tomorrow's class

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Genmies View Post
    I really can't see why Shakira is supposed to be good to BD to - I have to give up and sit in a corner whenever Shakira is played. i don't find the rythmns similar at all

Post Thanks / Like

Keeping the music on all the time would make me nuts- guess I'm too easily distracted!
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

Yes I have my music on for the whole class, I really want my students to learn more about the music that they will be dancing to, yes mixing the music up a bit would keep it fun and fresh, I stick to most all belly dance based music, Fast pace, slow, drum based, I use Raqs Baladi, Raqs Sharqi, Turkish, Hindi music, tribal ect. I tell them what kind of music we are listening to as well. Good luck with your class let us know how it went

Post Thanks / Like

Taught my first lesson... and it went pretty well. All the advice and tips I got from everyone here helps, Thanks!!!:

I did lots of preparation and was focus. The mood in the class was relaxed though I could see a few struggling at times. The feedback I get after that was quite positive. From now onwards, I believe it will be adjusting teaching method to the capability of the students, keep the class interesting and fun. It's still a steep learning curve for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shanazel View Post
    Keeping the music on all the time would make me nuts- guess I'm too easily distracted!
    ... and also hard for those with hearing difficulties as trying to hear speech over background noise is a frequent problem.

I turn my music off when speaking (except when doing a tour around the class - even then if I need to talk to a number of people the music is turned off).

I guess I consider my studio a place for work not partying.

Post Thanks / Like

That's a good point, K. I have a hearing disorder that is made worse back background noise (speech discrimination deafness). It can be very frustrating to try and hear what is being said over the sounds of music and other people talking.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast