Hi, everybody!

Sherezade

Hey, there.
I've just found out this forum as I've been doing a lot of research on bellydance. Let me congratulate everybody for the work that has been done here. I'm a Portuguese teacher in South Africa, living in Benoni. I've just given the first steps in bellydance, so I'm a total beginner. Unfortunately, due to some financial issues, I won't be able to attend classes next months, so I'm learning by following a DVD. You might know it. It's Luscious, by World Dance New York, with Blanca, Neon and Sarah Skinner. I like it very much but I've got a problem as far as correcting myself is concerned. What kind of advice would you give me?
I'm very glad I found this forum. I hope to learn a lot from you here. :)
See you all soon!

Mosaic

Super Moderator
I think Luscious is fairly advanced for a totally new beginner. If you can get one you would be better starting with a beginners basic DVD. As for self correcting, that is difficult, because you may not be very sure on what is correct and what is not. I can only suggest that you watch, a section over and over and try to see what the instructor is doing. Also visit youtube and watch as many bellydance Videos as you can, I know there are lessons for beginners on youtube but some are not recommended.I'm trying to think if there are any that have been mentioned as not too bad.

I understand you are unable to attend classes right now, but to be honest I believe hands on instruction is really the only way to go and use DVDs for backup. Check out this thread for DVD advice http://www.bellydanceforums.net/instructors-students/14593-instructional-dvds.html I think you'll find a more suitable beginners DVD here.
Good luck
~Mosaic

Sherezade

Thank you for everything, Mosaic. I had a look at some DVD's this afternoon and will opt for one soon. Later on, when my finances get better, I'll start attending classes. It's always better. :)

Mosaic

Super Moderator
One thing I will say is make sure you get your posture correct, that is very hard to correct later, I also believe that good BD basic posture prevents injuries and aids the execution of so many of the dance movements:D
~Mosaic

Sherezade

Ok, maybe I'll just ask a friend of mine who attends classes to tell me exactly how it is and then I'll try to do something from then on. Thanks!

Imeera

Welcome to the forum!! I agree with Mosaic just beginning I think you need a more level appropriate DvD, I have been dancing for five months now and still can't do everything in the Luscious DVD :lol: But don't worry! Its only been recently in the last few weeks that I have been able to go to classes, though DvDs are no substiute for a good class and a teacher to help you personally, there are many many affordable beginners DvDs out there that are great and giving the bascis and can be just as good as a class. Just keep an eye on your movements and use a mirror if you can, though a mirror is not necessary, I know from experience it helps a lot! Good luck and happy shimmies!!

Sherezade

Hello, Imeera. Thank you for welcoming me and for your advice. I also find some things in Luscious quite difficult, especially the chect circles and undulations. Well, I'll look for a school sooner or later, when my finances are better, and use the DVD just to practice a bit at home. :)

Imeera

Hello, Imeera. Thank you for welcoming me and for your advice. I also find some things in Luscious quite difficult, especially the chect circles and undulations. Well, I'll look for a school sooner or later, when my finances are better, and use the DVD just to practice a bit at home. :)

I did just this. I learnt from a beginner DvD until I found a class, it didn't effect the technique I learnt at all and sometimes I had a better idea what I was doing when doing a new move because of this. I do both now like you plan to, practice off a DvD and learn new moves too while doing to class every Thursday and learning/drilling moves too. I feel I progress really well that way, I say your deffinatly on the right track! :D

Imeera

I can imagine! In ten years you will probably still be exited about it :lol: Its perfectly fine! I remember how hard it was starting without a class so I love to help =]

Sherezade

I attended an open class in January. I don't know if it was the teacher who didn't do easy things or if I was just too awkward, I remember that I left feeling completely frustrated and believing a hippo danced better than me. :( However, a couple of weeks later, one of my friends said I shouldn't give up because bd isn't just for slim women and also because I'm not that fat as well. :lol:

Farasha Hanem

Your friend is right, Sherezade, don't give up! :) I've been taking lessons since late 2007, and I still feel like a dancing mango. :lol: I'm still having the time of my life, though, and as long as finances hold up, I won't be giving up class! :dance: Welcome to the forum, and to your new journey in bellydance. :)