Can I use a cane with this song?

gisela

Super Moderator
The one wth Massari is unfortunately not the same song at all ;) It's an r'n'b kind of song.

Last edited:

RayaDancer

I just picked out my Natasha atlas cd Ana Hina from the shelf to import it on my computer and...
It has another version of this song and a teeny bit of info in the booklet.

Here is what it says:
Hayati Inta Reprise (Hayatak Ana)
"You are my life and I am your life"

Natacha Atlas- Marc Eagleton -Harvey Brough

A song originally written for Natacha's Mishmaoul CD as a North African Berber flavoured number, here reinvented by Harvey Brough as the Doors meets Mingus meets Miss Atlas...

Just thought you'd like to know :)

The Doors? Really? are they insinuating that psychadelic drugs were involved? :lol:

Yame

Yes, keep in mind that within the Beledi beat is a Saidi beat. ;)

Dum Dum Teka Tek Dum Teka Tek (Beledi)
Dum Dum . . . . . . . Dum . . . . . . . (Saidi)

Sorry to cherrypick, but what you describe as the Saidi rhythm here is, to my knowledge, just a basic beledi (just the dums on the beledi). I've always learned the basic Saidi rhythm as

Dum Tek Dum Dum Tek

They are in the same family of rhythms, so they are very similar, but not in the way you described. I usually differ them by thinking of the beledi as having two dums on the first half and one on the second half, and Saidi as having one dum on the first half and (at least) two dums on the second.

Belly Love

Just a general thought: The only time a performer can pull off something iffy, is if it's amazing. So amazing that no one cares if it's proper and so awsome that it may even alter the idea of what's acceptable in the viewers' minds.

If you think you can do that, go for it. If not, give yourself some time and more competition experience before thinking about doing it again.

:)

PracticalDancer

Sorry to cherrypick, but what you describe as the Saidi rhythm here is, to my knowledge, just a basic beledi (just the dums on the beledi). I've always learned the basic Saidi rhythm as

Dum Tek Dum Dum Tek

They are in the same family of rhythms, so they are very similar, but not in the way you described. I usually differ them by thinking of the beledi as having two dums on the first half and one on the second half, and Saidi as having one dum on the first half and (at least) two dums on the second.

(facepalm!) you're right, you're right! can I plead a lack of coffee on that one? :pray:

Yame

(facepalm!) you're right, you're right! can I plead a lack of coffee on that one? :pray:

Of course you can :D
I needed to make sure I wasn't wrong. I've seen a lot of misleading info on rhythms before...

rsps

I totally agree with this! That is why so many times on this site when I've seen 'One must never...' and it is pointed out that some famous and respected dancer has done it, the response is usually 'Well, she can pull it off.' ; )

So, I've asked a ton of my belly dance friends about this, know I'm taking a risk, but love this song. So I'm going for it. I still have some tweaking to do. All of my performances are improvised with only key bits of choreo in the song. So, my pre-performance workout always includes the songs I dancing to over, and over...so I am know them like the back of my hand but can add spontaneity.

I do have a practice video on Youtube under; Mamabellydance; Natacha Atlas, Hayati
Inta with cane.

I've never figured out how to imbed on this site....
Thanks everyone for your input!

Yame

Good luck.

I don't agree with your decision and I don't think the judges will like it, but I am not a judge, so I could be wrong.

In the end you have to follow your own heart, if that means succeeding at something that success will mean more if it's your own, and if it means failing, at least you are making your own mistakes and hopefully learning from them.

MarinnaCairo

This song is Folkloric and no saidi cane should be used in the performance, I can tell you that this is an African/ Nubian song and I have been in many of their parties in Egypt and many of them are my neighbors :).

This song needs a more earth dance approach even the costume should be tribal/Nubian.:D