Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Belly Love View Post
    I just started bd not too long ago and I can understand how you feel. At the begining you have all of these fantasy thoughts swirling in your head and then you actually try to do it. At first it can be a bit discouraging 'cause you feel so akward and think it will take forever to learn, but you will get past that. Once you start getting one move, then two moves, then three moves down, you will start to "feel it". Then your fantasy thoughts will come back again and you will be enamored all over again
    You got my feeling, Belly Love. I guess I had created too many expectations and had hoped to feel very well after the lesson. That's why my enthusiasm came tumbling down. At home, when I practice some movements from my DVD I feel much better. Maybe because I don't feel I have to do like the other students. The problem was that this class was a mix of beginners with intermediates and we all danced together, like in a kind of choreography. There was even a time when I had to stop and just went on looking at what they were doing. That's when I felt really bad. Anyway, it's long gone and not an obstacle anymore.

Post Thanks / Like

I got lucky- the first class I went to was great, and although I joined partway through the term she was really good about breaking the moves down for us newbies. She got us in posture, taught us enough of the footwork that we could step through the dance with the other students and generally ensured that we felt like Samia Gamal by the end of the class (not that we'd ever heard of Samia Gamal in those days).

I tried out another class about six months later. The teacher arrived looking like she'd just stepped off the rowing machine. She didn't say a word about posture, plunged straight into a choreography without breaking down the moves, and finished the class early so she could run through a different choreo with her intermediates.

Guess which teacher I'm still learning with?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LilithNoor View Post
    I got lucky- the first class I went to was great, and although I joined partway through the term she was really good about breaking the moves down for us newbies. She got us in posture, taught us enough of the footwork that we could step through the dance with the other students and generally ensured that we felt like Samia Gamal by the end of the class (not that we'd ever heard of Samia Gamal in those days).

I tried out another class about six months later. The teacher arrived looking like she'd just stepped off the rowing machine. She didn't say a word about posture, plunged straight into a choreography without breaking down the moves, and finished the class early so she could run through a different choreo with her intermediates.

Guess which teacher I'm still learning with?
    Not hard to guess, LilithNoor. I guess my teacher was also a bit like your second. And guess what? She also finished the lesson earlier. My friend even commented with me that it looked as if she wanted to get rid of us. Not a good attitude and I hope that when I start attending classes I'll get a better teacher. I'll need a very patient one!!

Post Thanks / Like

I am a quick study on moves, but I am VERY slow at picking up choreography.... even when I am the one who wrote it!!!! Don't feel bad if you don't pick it up quickly. I go to workshops and quite a lot of workshops focus on a choreo. I sometimes go to the back out of the way and take notes and watch. I don't go to workshops for the choreos. I go for techniques, information, inspiration, and style pointers. You will also get faster at picking up choreo as you do it more, but some people (like me) are still kind of slow even at their best! Not all of us can remember a choreo just by going through it 3 times!!!! A good teacher will also let you say, "I need help with that" and he or she should be able to help you. If they don't have time, they have too many people in the class. Don't get discouraged! It is not an easy dance, but it is well worth the effort!
    (It took me an entire year to learn to roll my belly in one direction).

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, Shara. Thanks! Well, I think that for the 3 months I've been learning (with a DVD) I've already got some movements quite right, but there are others that are still too confusing for my coordination, which is what I need to practice. Sometimes it's difficult to pass from a movement to another. Even moving my hips and arms at the same time sometimes confuses my brain. As I said somewhere earlier, when I lift my arms, it seems that my brain forgets about going on moving hips and vice-versa.

Anyway, thanks for encouraging me. I also believe it will be quite rewarding when I feel I'm able to do something even if I'll never be a professional.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12