Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Where do you practice?

Ok, so I don't have much space at all to practice (or privacy) and I was wondering, where can I find a large space to practice with mirrors? The dance school is closed when classes are not in session, so that is out.

I was thinking of getting a 24hr gym membership and practicing in the aerobics rooms in the off hours... would that be weird? Does anyone else do this?

Or does anyone have any other ideas? I'm ready to practice new moves and I need more room!

Post Thanks / Like

I use my office to practice. I installed two mirrored closet doors on one wall and four cheap long mirrors on another so that I can see myself from the side without having to change positions. I think the 24 hr gym membership is a GREAT idea! plus you won't have any distractions!

Post Thanks / Like

I practice in my living room (I have no mirror there though) or when I am back home from Uni I practice in the spare room which has really big wall closet with two massive mirrors I think your idea of the 24hr gym membership is perfect! It may be a bit costly, from what I know of them here in the UK to rent the room may cost a bit. I don't know what its like where you are. Though I would deffinatly do it if I could!

Post Thanks / Like

I practice a lot at home, but I don't have a the space for big props and fancy floorwork so I sometimes sneak into a dance studio at a local university late at night. I know lots of other dancers who do the gym membership thing. Considering how much it costs to rent a studio, the gym membership is a steal. A lot of gyms will give you discounts for your first couple of months, so you can just rotate between gyms to get a discount on studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

It might be worth checking to see if anyone would open up for you at the dance school if you arrived before your class? The place where I learn they tend to set up the room a good hour before the teacher arrives, so they don't mind me nipping in when i need some veil practice.

I think the gym option could be workable. You might also want to look into local rehearsal studios, or community halls (maybe they have a small office or something you can use even if the main room is full of girl scouts)

Also the warm weather is on its way- then you have the whole of the outdoors to play with!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the input ladies

I think I'm gonna go ahead and try the gym. I've been wanting to join one for working out anyway. I used to go to one late at night and there was hardly anyone there and I remember watching guys play basketball in the aerobics room (I think the room was multifunctional & had hoops.)

I'll have to make sure wherever I get my membership that the aerobics room has lots of mirrors, does not get locked after a certain hour and has no hoops that I may have to compete for room with!

Post Thanks / Like

When I was at uni I would either dance in my room, rent a studio space in the athletics center or show up early before the classes I taught at dance studios.

now that I am back home, the kitchen, since it is the biggest space in the house when I push the chairs and the tables out of the way. It also means frequent interruptions from people, cats and barking dogs

But it is better than nothing I film myself when I practice so I don't mind if i have a mirror or not.

The kitchen at it's finest:/
    YouTube - Habibi Nour El Ain Bellydance improv

Post Thanks / Like

Uhm, so you like horses?

I wish I had an open space at home. I could do it in the kitchen but I will either have dogs chasing me around or I will have people distracting me or people I will be distracting. The video recording is a good idea though... but I may not be far enough along to bother, I think I need to see what I'm doing... oh wait! I forgot that there are old mirrors in the empty basement it might be cold down there, but it might work!

Post Thanks / Like

Heehhe crazy horse/cat woman here. I live on a farm, we have 9 horses, 10 cats and 4 dogs and I think 3 birds?? The birds are my brothers lol.

The distractions used to drive me nuts but now I just deal with them. better than not dancing at all Who knows, maybe you could incorporate your dog into the dancing hehehe. My cat occasionally joins in

This is from May 2008. WOW lol time flies!!! My cat allie joins in at about 52 seconds into the video!
    YouTube - Oh Carolina - Dancing with my Cat!

I vote you dance with your dog and film it and then share it with us

Post Thanks / Like

Ahahahahahaaaaa! I love how he just lays there like he just does that all the time when you dance... so cute

I would love to live on a farm... I'm waiting until I get married (hopefully my future hubby will want to live on a farm too.)

My dog is very... dainty (although he's a boy) but his buddies at the house are crazy- there would be lots of jumping.

No vids of me until I get better! Besides, I would be so embarassed I wouldn't be able to stop laughing... I do want to post a video in the not too distant future though so I can get some critiquing, I just have to build up the nerve Hopefully one day I will be as good as you (I wish you could teach me) 'cause you know you're one of my favs

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast