Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Belly Love View Post
    You and Yame are right, videotaping yourself is a good idea. I also think it's so helpful to others when people post their practices online, especially if they are trying to learn at home. It helps to see other people learning vs. watching experts all of the time. Aaaand now I want to look at yours! Link, pretty please!

I'm sure they won't be complaining... everytime they hear the music start to play they will probably be setting up seats and popping corn- "She's dancing again!"

Thank you You know what, I actually re-arranged a bit of my bedroom last night after I posted last. It's not ideal (I'm very picking about keeping my bedroom serene) but I do have a bit more room to practice.
    Thats good, when I lived in my old house I had one of my bed rooms made into a dance room for me so thats works good too.

Post Thanks / Like

I practice in my living room and just about anywhere, but when I need to really practice with props or a whole choreo I use the clubhouse of the apartment complex. Sometimes a church will let you use or rent space.
    Sometimes the community center or senior center is affordable. Sometimes the city will have space available to rent.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Farasha Hanem View Post
    I'll leave the second one up until you've had a chance to view it, then I'll set it back to private.
    Awwww... That was fun to watch! There is nothing awful about it... just looks like someone practicing something kinda new

Quote Originally Posted by Bast View Post
    It's nice to remember that for every polished performance we watch there is a ton of hard work and training behind it.
    Ditto.

Shara- A community space is a good idea too.

Post Thanks / Like

I wasn't going to post this here, but I thought you newer dancers should know that even experienced dancers have their bad days. I'm posting a good example of why it's a good idea to practice in a new costume before performing in public in it. (this was a practice run for some new costumes at my studio - my usual practice space is my loungeroom, which was covered in books for the last week while we waited to see if repairs to the roof were as effective as we hoped)

YouTube - Batwanes Beek Oriental

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Darshiva View Post
    I wasn't going to post this here, but I thought you newer dancers should know that even experienced dancers have their bad days. I'm posting a good example of why it's a good idea to practice in a new costume before performing in public in it. (this was a practice run for some new costumes at my studio - my usual practice space is my loungeroom, which was covered in books for the last week while we waited to see if repairs to the roof were as effective as we hoped)

YouTube - Batwanes Beek Oriental
    Honestly, without the subtitles I would never even have noticed there was something wrong. Even with the subtitles, it's hard to tell.

This can also be a lesson to remember that even certain costume malfunctions and other things that seem like they are a huge deal to us (mistakes, losing balance for a moment, etc) look like nothing to the audience. Just smile and keep dancing, and nine times out of ten no one will know that anything was wrong.

Post Thanks / Like

Good tip! I like your skirt/veil by the way... pretty tie dye wine/pink

Post Thanks / Like

@ Bellylove

Alosha made them for me from my dye technique. I highly recommend them.

@ Yame

That's the important thing - no matter what your costume is doing, just smile & keep dancing. If you MUST fiddle with it (which I must - I'm a fiddler!) try to incorporate it into your performance.

And always, ALWAYS practice first with your new costumes & props. You never know what will need tweaking or is completely inappropriate for dancing in/with.

Post Thanks / Like

Big Grin

Quote Originally Posted by Belly Love View Post
    Awwww... That was fun to watch! There is nothing awful about it... just looks like someone practicing something kinda new
    Golly, thank you, Belly Love! *hugs!*

Post Thanks / Like

I had to resurrect this thread when I came across this:

If you ride your bicycle with no hands on the bike trail adjacent to a busy avenue, belly dance moves rock! Snake arms, hand curls, chest and belly rolls are awesome. Cute guys always shout incomprehensible things at you. But, please remember, DO NOT try any of the hip motions!! You will crash nose first into the grass in front of every car at rush hour!
    Found at: Belly Biker - Learn From My Fail #LFMF

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Safran View Post
    I had to resurrect this thread when I came across this:

Found at: Belly Biker - Learn From My Fail #LFMF

I love how the commenters think that this person must be the ONLY one on the planet to do bellydance arms while biking. They obviously have no idea how common that is among bellydancers I am sure they think noone is shimmying in the supermarket either

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast