How much is too much... booty?

Nailah_Siti

I came across this article today that highlights some problems that have been occurring recently when women try to alter their physical beauty with dangerous surgeries and procedures. I am glad to live in a time that having a big butt is admired (although we should celebrate ALL kinds of beauty). I was just wondering how much you all think is too much? Padding bras or jeans ok? Surgery ok? Etc. Also, why do we feel the need to BE like someone else?

Here is the article and also some examples of what I think is too far (if it is obvious that your new work could never be natural)

Death & the Derriere – Why Are Women Risking Their Lives for a Rounder Rump? | Madame Noire | Black Women's Lifestyle Guide | Black Hair | Black Love

Greek Bonfire

It's funny you should post this because just yesterday I was reading in Allure magazine that butts are back! So I guess it depends what decade we are in as in the 1990s, the waif look was in and NOTHING stuck out! :lol:

Nailah_Siti

Have you seen the advertisements for the Booty Pop? It is absolutely ridiculous! I have no problem with a woman trying to feel good about herself, but those things are so obvious. I can literally tell when a woman walks by if she is wearing one

Belly Love

I used to have a friend who wore some sort of butt padding underneath her jeans at work (bartender). I thought it was silly at first until I realized that I have no idea what it's like to be her and have a flat butt. I used to wear padded bras when I was younger 'cause I was so insecure about my small boobs, so I figured that was the same thing.

I also know someone personally who had fat sucked out of her hips & stomach and had it injected into her butt 'cause she didn't like her shape. I must say, afterwards she did have a nicer shape. She didn't go overboard though and if anyone saw her body they would never know it unless she told them.

I think things done to change a woman's shape is fine, as long as it looks natural. Natural looking is key. If someone gets something done and it looks obviously fake, it doesn't do anything to enhance their looks, it just looks like they had work done. Extremes do not look anywhere near natural, therefore, I don't like how they look. I have a friend who has a beautiful face, but she overdoes the collagen in her lips. When I look at her face, I don't think, "beautiful" I think, "fake lips".

I think doing things to enhance your looks is fine as long as it's not an obsession or they are doing it for someone else or it's an extreme. Going to an extreme like the pictures posted of the butts, makes one look desperate for attention. When something is so overly done like that, it's screaming, "LOOK AT ME!"

*Uhm, shouldn't this be in the "Off Topic" thread? I think the Debate thread is where heated threads get moved...

Last edited:

Sherezade

Well, when this type of issue is raised my very first and instinctive thought is "Everybody should accept themselves just the way they are." But then I realise that there may be thousands of reasons why someone decides to undergo plastic surgery. I'm loyal to my first thought, I think we should all accept different types of people, body shapes, faces, etc because beauty is different for everybody (something that I find beautiful may look hideous to someone else and vice-versa) but I also think sometimes people have valid reasons to undergo them. Is the problem affecting their health? I had a neighbour who had to have her breasts reduced because the weight was affecting her spine. Is it really becoming psychologically unbearable? Sometimes it can affect a woman's self-esteem.

I don't agree much with women who undergo plastics to fight against age because not rarely the results are even more disastrous than their natural aged faces. But again, it all depends on a lot of things. Other women get completely addicted to plastics (look at Cher!) to the point that they lose their naturality. There are women that look much worse after a surgery. I can't avoid to think that I prefer Melanie Griffith as she was before the plastics. Now her lips seem to have been punched and never got back to normal...

It's a difficult issue. Everybody is unique and beautiful in their own way, but there are lots of things that can make them make this decision. We cannot judge, just try to understand what's behind such a decision.

BellaBohemian

Personally I dont agree with changes to a person's natural form. And as for padding (like those booty bump things) I think it's the worst thing you could do to yourself! Only feeling confident in yourself when you have a bunch of foam in your pants!? What happens when you take it off? Or worse, what happens when your new guy gets to see you with it off for the first time?

As a girl with a big booty and barely-there boobs, I gotta say I actually envy girls with smaller butts! I don't understand why people would want a bigger booty! Its so hard to just find a pair of jeans that fit in both the hip, legs and length! And Im not a "big girl" either. And for padded bras, I am very insecure about my small bust size (esp. when dancing!), my boyfriend asked me why I don't just buy those bras from Victoria Secret that is suppose to give you 2 cup sizes. I say this: if a person is willing to lie to you about their natural body shape, what else are they willing to lie to you about?

But on the flip side, if you have too much of something Im okay with loosing it. And by too much I mean you are like Dolly Parton and you're patite but your bust is a health issue. If it is effecting your health and how you function then reduction is okay by me. But if you're getting rid of it just because you want to be smaller, I don't agree.

I just think people should be happy with who they are and not rely on the media or others to tell them who/what they ought to be.

Nailah_Siti

*Uhm, shouldn't this be in the "Off Topic" thread? I think the Debate thread is where heated threads get moved...

I think you are right, oopsie!

I used to wear this very nice full lace wig after I cut my hair off because I just felt so bleh without my hair. I NEVER wore my natural hair. This girl came up to me one day and asked if I was Puerta Rican because I had such gorgeous hair. I blushed (on the inside) when I had to say it wasn't mine. I had grown ashamed of who I really was because I was constantly trying to change myself with weave, acrylic nails, etc. I only recently quit obsessing over getting laser hair removal on my stomach because it is furry. I was "born this way" and I don't need to go to extremes to feel good about myself. India Arie's song really speaks to me and I hope it speaks to you all too!

YouTube - India.Arie - I Am Not My Hair (Live@VH1.com)

Last edited:

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Have moved thread to Beauty & Fitness. I say each to their own regarding body modification, but do have to say that pic 2 booty is just awful! IMO - totally deformed looking!

As for butt enhancement in general, personally I think it would feel awfully strange and odd sitting on 2 pieces of silicon clumps:D
~Mosaic

Reen.Blom

Whatever makes you happy! If it poses danger to health than NO WAY! (Like those scary stories of botox gone wrong). I understand when older ladies choose nip and tuck but just mod your body cos its in fashion?? And tomorrow it is fashinable to have small bums so surgery again. Surgery can end up in unnecessary health complications...

As for bum padding well if that kind of attention makes you happy, go for it. Agree that anything not looking 'natural' is a cry for attention.... makes those woman happy? Why not?

Reen.Blom

if a person is willing to lie to you about their natural body shape, what else are they willing to lie to you about?

As for padded bras - hey I do not see it as 'lying' after all it is my private matter and I dont care who sees me in a bra two sizes bigger one day and without the next. I honestly do not care if they notice and think to themselves aha! She's wearing padding. Small is beautiful, big is beautiful Im lucky to be able to change my shape to suit my mood/ outfit.

To say that wear a padded bra is lying means that to wear a support bra for saggy boobs in lying too?

However if padded bra makes you uncomfortable, then leave it. Unless of course your 'rebellion' comes from inner insecurity. I hate it when a feeling of inferiority dictates how to dress and how to feel and sets the rules of dos and donts.

I am blessed to have accepted my shape, After all it is not about 'wrong' bodies, but about 'wrong' clothes. One has to choose suitable clothes for the type of figure one has. I will never look good in a mermaid style dress cos I am a shortie pear shape, but I can accent my hip line and have a bolder cleavage as not being filled too much it does not look as risque as with more endowed ladies.

:dance::dance::dance::dance:Celebrate life, Celebrate yourselves folks! :dance::dance::dance::dance:

seona

Whatever makes you happy! If it poses danger to health than NO WAY! (Like those scary stories of botox gone wrong). I understand when older ladies choose nip and tuck but just mod your body cos its in fashion?? And tomorrow it is fashinable to have small bums so surgery again. Surgery can end up in unnecessary health complications...

Regarding health, surely in the long run it can't be good for your body. I didn't even know untill recently that people have bum implants, to each their own, but I find it crazy! I first heard about it recently when I read in the news about a girl who died from having some sh*t pumped into her arse, I think it was a back street bodge job. Sad, but how stupid.
I was astonished to learn that (in the uk) Botox isn't regulated as it's not classed as medical. Wow!

On a funnier note, apparently this is a true story, a snake bit a model, and the snake ended up dead from silicone poisioning from the models implants!!!....ok, so it wasn't funny for the snake! I'm sure it's true and not an urban legend!

Last edited by a moderator:

LadyLoba

I don't judge anyone for doing what they need to do to feel good about themselves as long as it looks natural and is healthy. Butt padding is something I will never need...I have a big butt. It's just the way I'm shaped and I'm learning to like it...but it's a slow process for someone who grew up with such poor body image and then went to college in the "waif" look early 1990's.

Greek Bonfire

I don't judge anyone for doing what they need to do to feel good about themselves as long as it looks natural and is healthy. Butt padding is something I will never need...I have a big butt. It's just the way I'm shaped and I'm learning to like it...but it's a slow process for someone who grew up with such poor body image and then went to college in the "waif" look early 1990's.

You said the magic words: healthy and safe. I would love to reduce my thighs to a shape that I prefer without sacrificing weight and curves in other areas of my body. If I had the money and it was safe and healthy, you can bet I would do something about it because it would make me feel better. I'm still me no matter what but everyday we get up, fix ourselves up because appearance is a very important part of us - we can't get totally away from it. And yet we have to use good sense and intelligence to keep it all in perspective.

Several years ago, I fell and tore open my lip and needing intense dental work. The scar tissue was heavy and uncomfortable, but then I met up with a plastic surgeon who could take out the scar tissue and make my lip look good again for a reasonable price and a safe procedure. I submitted to it and never regretted doing it. You can classify it as reconstructive too - it wasn't necessary to staying alive, but it did make it more comfortable for me and it also restored some of my confidence.

LadyFatima

Have you seen the advertisements for the Booty Pop? It is absolutely ridiculous! I have no problem with a woman trying to feel good about herself, but those things are so obvious. I can literally tell when a woman walks by if she is wearing one

I remember the first time I saw that commerical. Me and my sister were sitting in the living room watching TV when it came on, and at first, I seriously thought that it was a joke or one of those gag commercials, you know?
Because I was thinking to myself "Are they serious? They ACTUALLY created a type of undergarment that makes it look like you have a fuller butt?? And they're charging people real money to buy it??"
By the time the commerical was over, my sister and I were rolling around on the floor gasping for air from laughing so hard.

And afterwards I starting thinking to myself "Okay, let's say this young women who is feeling self conscious about having a flat booty. . .actually decides to buy/use the Booty Pop. She wears it one night when she's hanging out with her girlfriends. While their out, she meets a guy, they talk, get to know each other, all that good stuff. Now let's also say that this woman and this guy decide that they want to see each other exclusively/take things to the next level. . .at SOME point, this guy is gonna have to figure out that he's going out with a girl with a flat butt, right?:lol:"

I don't know, I feel kinda split about the Booty Pop thing. I mean on one hand, there's nothing wrong with wanting to boost your self confidence. . .(That's why they invented the Wonder Bra, right? LOL) But then I think to myself, not EVERYONE finds a curvy butt and big boobs attractive. And if you're only modifying your body just to please other people, that's not being fair and true to yourself, is it?:think:

Advertisments like that also make me happy that thanks to genetics, I will NEVER have to worry about investing in a Booty Pop or a Wonder Bra:cool:

Belly Love

Only feeling confident in yourself when you have a bunch of foam in your pants!? What happens when you take it off? Or worse, what happens when your new guy gets to see you with it off for the first time?

I know, right?! Same with the padded bra, but that's very common so it doesn't seem as bad.

My friend who wore one was super insecure about her backside. She liked curvy figures and there was no amount of working out that she could do to naturally change it. At one point she was considering surgery but was too scared to do it. Mind you, her butt was "barely there" so it wasn't just an imaginitive body issue. She figured it could be changed as simply as putting on a pair of underwear, so why not?!

I say this: if a person is willing to lie to you about their natural body shape, what else are they willing to lie to you about?

That sounds a bit extreme to me. A butt pad isn't any different than coloring your hair or putting on make-up... some are just more common than others.
A person is not untrustworthy because they color their hair!

I used to always wonder why brown eyed people would wear blue contacts, I didn't understand why they wouldn't just "accept themselves" but then I realized that I don't know what it's like to be in their shoes. Maybe if I didn't have light eyes I would want to wear colored contacts too. Although I must say, I have never seen colored contacts look good on anyone, they always look super fake to me.

Last edited:

LadyFatima

Now that I think about it. . .I guess buying undergarments with padding in them is easier/safer than getting surgery done, right?:think:

I mean, there's garments out there that make you look bigger and then there's the ones that can make you look smaller as well.

Like I said, it's safer than getting surgery, and as long as you're doing it for yourself and not trying to please other people or trying to fit in with the crowd: to each their own.

BellaBohemian

A little OT but. . .
I suppose I should try to clarify my statement of "if a person is willing to lie to you about their natural body shape, what else are they willing to lie to you about?"

That statement is a mix of my sarcastic humor and also some of my own opinion. I can see how this doesn't translate via text. I apologize for any misunderstandings.

Now that I think about it. . .I guess buying undergarments with padding in them is easier/safer than getting surgery done, right?:think:

and as long as you're doing it for yourself and not trying to please other people or trying to fit in with the crowd: to each their own.

This is a great point, and I completely agree! Well put. :clap:

Shakti

I have a running theory about guys..there are 2 kinds..boob men and booty men..they seem to be obsessed by one or the other. Boob men seem to objectify women more and be a little more insecure. Booty men are more accepting and open minded...a little off topic I know just had to throw that in there.

I think it is not a good idea to have anykind of implant especially anything silicone based. My friend many years ago had a breast implant rupture and glue her lung to her chest cavity that had to be surgically fixed. she suffered for years. I say be happy with what you have because your life is precious and you were made perfect. If it aint broke..dont fix it!

as for shape wear, i think it is great, booty pop commercial was funny as helll!

LadyLoba

I'm with Greek Bonfire...I too would love to have my thighs reduced. I don't know about yours, but my thighs are so flabby and heavy, in my mind they "ruin" the way my body looks. My abs need toning, and so do my upper arms, but my thighs are just all around awful. But at the same time, I wouldn't want to get elective surgery if it were very risky. I'm looking for exercises I can do first...just for safety's sake.

Greek Bonfire

In light of all this, it's really important to find a guy who loves you for you and doesn't get as hung up about all of this so much because 99% of us do not look photoshopped, so we are all hiding or enhancing some flaw, IMHO.