Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Just saw this thread on Bhuz, don't know how much she is selling for though - she has amongst others the Shemiran set for sale

TEACHER TRAINING AND OTHER DVDs for sale!!!
    ~Mosaic
    Dance is like glitter, it not only colours your life, it makes you sparkle, you find it everywhere and in everything and it's near impossible to get rid of. (unknown)

Post Thanks / Like

I think that the key importance here is that the teacher training home-learning stuff is great if you don't already have a few years of teaching under your belt, and are after some pretty intensive info on how to run the business side of things. I also very strongly recommend doing it as the weekend intensive rather than the home study - for the reasons Mosaic addressed.

With that said, I am cutting & pasting my reply to Lilith here to save myself typing it all out again.

The coursework is comprehensive in that it covers both the business side of teaching as well as the practical side. Her demonstration classes obviously work well for her and I used them as the basis for my own lesson plans, modifying them over the course of two years until I found my own groove.

The business side really did help me because there's a lot of pitfalls for a new teacher, the first of them being the line between a hobbyist and a business. Admittedly Shemiran's training is very strongly founded in what works in Australia, so it's a good idea to back that up with a visit to/from the tax department anyway just to make sure everything's going smoothly.

There is some information omitted from the otherwise very thorough coursework, and that is pricing.

The business stuff covers marketing and branding (if you go search on google for 'echuca bellydancer' you'll see the results of her approach because I followed her advice to the letter) as well as networking.

The practical stuff covers how to teach to different learning styles, working with the limitations of your venue, etc. It does briefly cover safety with moves & stuff but if you're after in-depth anatomy in your teacher training you won't find it here.
    Bellydance in Kyabram!
    Skype classes a specialty.
    Email kyabrambellydance@gmail.com for more information.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Certification

I wanted to ask about proper certification. To become a professional or an instructor. I found Things such as

Teacher Training | GoddessLife

Are these things worth it? Im not sure, because I have never researched it. What is the best way to go about it?

Post Thanks / Like

Certification is often associated with a particular francaise. With that one you get "everything you need to begin teaching The Goddess Workout". I'm not sure how much use it would be if you wanted to do something different.

Also, what are you trying to achieve? Do you need paper for a job? do you need to learn how to teach? do you need to learn how to run a business? do you need to learn about belly dance?

Some years back, in Australia, there was a push to get all dance teachers (of any type) certified - as dance teachers. To this end a two year University course (about 8 papers) was offered in number of institutions. I know it didn't catch on and many courses have since folded. One of those papers was a "how to teach" module (other included Safe Dance, Dance Analysis and History, Dance Assement, Theatre, etc). That is, six months. You did the theory, did assignments, readings, prepared lesson plans and tried things out on real classes and videoed the results. You tutor then gave you feedback.

I found that course very valuable - despite having trained for a year postgrad as a physics & maths teacher and spent a number of years on the job teaching kids and (at that time) 5 years teaching dance. What I'm saying is to be generally useful you need meat - by people who have done the theory as well as the practice.

Some teachers here looked at cheaper options by joining a general "how to teach adults" class usually a year) and did some physio/PT papers. This seemed to also be useful.

Something you can toss off in a few weeks is unlikely to much use.

Post Thanks / Like

It depends on what you are after in your teacher training.

I found Shemiran Ibrahim's teacher training to be a good overall in how to set up a bellydance school business. If you're after something with more meat in terms of physiology requirements then something along the lines of the course Kashmir did will be more of interest.
    Bellydance in Kyabram!
    Skype classes a specialty.
    Email kyabrambellydance@gmail.com for more information.

Post Thanks / Like

Not an instructor or certified myself but both instructors i take w/ are certified at different levels w/ 2 different BDSS dancers.

It's their excitement for learning from the dancers that they got certified w/ that seems to be important for them that impressed me, and makes me inspired in turn as a student.

Both get a glimmer in their eye when talking about the study/style/learning. So i do see it as encouraging to be learning from teachers that are placing such a passion on learning. But i guess if they just listed it as a credential and the other stuff (passion) wasn't apparent i wouldn't care.

I also highly respect who they are certified w/. Im not sure some random certification would impress or influence me as a student to want a particular teacher over another unless i had a connection w/ the certifying body.
    Last edited by Taslin; 01-21-2012 at 05:08 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down Noooooooooooo, don't cross over to the dark side!

Quote Originally Posted by Rania View Post
    I wanted to ask about proper certification. To become a professional or an instructor. I found Things such as

Teacher Training | GoddessLife

Are these things worth it? Im not sure, because I have never researched it. What is the best way to go about it?
    Hi, Rania, how are you? I'd like to give you an honest opinion about this particular site: don't bother. There are far more credible certification programs out there than this one. It's run by a "bellydancer" named Dolphina, and I have her gosh-awful 3-disc "Goddess Life" DVD set. Granted, she can pull off some bellydance "moves," but her dance STYLE is on a kindergarten/maybe 1st grade level. She knows next to nothing about Middle Eastern culture (or Desi culture, for that matter). Although she has slick sets and costumes on her DVD's, the camera work is terrible---you can't see her moves clearly.

Dolphina is more of a New Age...hipster???...that uses bellydance as a marketing ploy. She puts waaaay too much emphasis on being "sexy goddesses," but has no real substance.

Sorry for the long rant, Rania. I kinda feel about Dolphina the way some people feel about three controversial performers (names left out to prevent another pointless flame war).

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Farasha. I was using that just using that as an example. I have nothing against Dolphinia, however Im not going the Dolphinia workout route.

@Kashmir, oneday I was interested in teaching and running my own studio Thanks for you input. I will researcht these eventuelly!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rania View Post
    I wanted to ask about proper certification. To become a professional or an instructor.
    Although I haven't taken Hadia's teacher training, I'd expect it to be excellent because the workshops on other topics that I've taken from her were excellent. She also has strong knowledge of physiology due to her non-dance career in myofascial release.

If I were going to pursue teacher training, I'd either go to Hadia or to a series of university courses such as those Kashmir described.

Post Thanks / Like

I myself have probably been a bit too harsh on Dolphina in the past. I want to take back the out and out slam I did about Dolphina and GoddessLife before because, well...I don't know that it doesn't really help some women. For all I know, the program could have saved the life of someone whose view of their own appearance and sexuality was so horrible it prevented them from functioning. I'm still cynical about it....and suspect that it's very likely nothing more than a fad for a lot of women who already have very high regard for themselves in that area...but I shouldn't have just assumed that's what it was 100% of the time.

That said... I've looked into it...and it's not really a belly dance instructional program or a belly dance teacher training program. It is just a women's lifestyle and self esteem program focusing on sexuality. She offers some belly dance lessons, sure...and some burlesque dancing instruction...but those seem like they're just tiny aspects of an overall "How to Be Sexy" course...the rest of it being about making very "feminine" drinks, picking out lingerie, etc.

If your goal is to give yourself a very sexy lifestyle makeover...I'd say go ahead and try this if you have the funds...absolutely... But if your goal is a solid foundation in belly dance and a solid background in a belly dance career/business...I don't think this will do anything for you.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast