Artist arrives

Max West

Hello, everyone. My professional name is Max West and I'm an emerging visual artist. I hope to work at my craft full-time eventually. I have my own comics series (print comics) and I'm also working on my own art books which I hope to put out at least one of by the end of the year.

:confused: Hmm, I know what some of you may be thinking after reading the above passage. I'm not a dancer...so why does some artist care about a belly dancing forum?

Actually, I like drawing belly dancers from time-to-time as subject matter. This isn't at all unusual. The French painter Edgar Degas did paint ballet dancers and belly dancers do appear in the works of Jean Auguste Dominique Ingres and Eugene Delacroix. Maybe I'll share a few of my sketches from time to time up here. My interest in this forum is learning about belly dance.

I have a personal Wordpress.com blog at The Art of Max West where I post up drawings, mainly of women and of landscapes. My main base of operations is over at Sunnyville Stories - which is the primary weblog of my comics series. FYI, it's a slice-of-life comics series about a small town of anthropomorphic animals and two teenagers living there, Rusty and Sam. On another note, I'm planning to reveal in a future story that Sam is actually a trained belly dancer herself.

Well, that's all there really is to know about me. Hello, everyone. :)

Last edited:

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Max, anyone with a genuine interest in bellydance is welcome here. We have several members who are not dancers, but love the dance and the music, some are musicians, some photographers and there maybe an artist or 2:D as well as folk who just love the dance & cultural aspects.
~Mosaic

Amulya

Welcome to the forum! Non-dancers are indeed very welcome here, we like to see input from different angles here and non-dancers often have very valuable info too. We dancers sometimes tend to see things only from a dancer's perspective, it's good to hear different opinions :)

Erik

Max, I want to thank you for relieving me of being the only non-dancer who has posted on this forum recently. It took some urging to get me to join but everyone has been very nice here (unlike another web site which shall go unmentioned). I like to think of belly dancers like airplane pilots. When performing they are undoubtedly the stars, but it takes various other people in the background to enable them to do what they do so well.

I like your artwork. I used to draw but gave it up because writing interested me even more. My brother and I rarely drew humans and mostly used cats as characters.

Max West

Thanks, Erik, for praising my work. You're one of the few who actually has.

Thanks, everyone, for welcoming me.

goddessyasaman

Hello Max and welcome, I like your style, I love art, I think it's great that you have joined our forum here. I am a big comic fan and you site is cool. I paint and draw as well, I do fantasy art and I'm a fiction writer as well as a Belly dancer so you are welcome here in this ring of artist:D

Jane

Those belly dancer cartoons are adorable! Welcome to the forum Max :)

Belly dancers draw the music with their bodies in space. That's the only drawing I can manage. When I have a pencil in my hand all I've done is stick figures :( It must be lovely to have a gift of drawing.

The western artist Charlie Russell also did some small pictures of belly dancers in the margins of his letters he sent home from his visit to Egypt.

Max West

Those belly dancer cartoons are adorable! Welcome to the forum Max :)

Belly dancers draw the music with their bodies in space. That's the only drawing I can manage. When I have a pencil in my hand all I've done is stick figures :( It must be lovely to have a gift of drawing.

The western artist Charlie Russell also did some small pictures of belly dancers in the margins of his letters he sent home from his visit to Egypt.

Thanks, Jane. I actually have a blog post coming up on Tuesday with a few drawings of belly dancers from my sketchbook. I really appreciate your compliments. :)