Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Turkish style

Post Thanks / Like

Your original question asked about Artemis's New Turkish Dance DVD from IAMED. I have the DVD and it is really a good DVD. She talks about rhythms, how the turkish music/beat differs. She shows a variety of moves, hand gestures, etc. She also talks about fast and slow moves and combinations. I find it a very instructional DVD. There is another out there by Aradia from Las Vegas. She has a combinations for Egyptian, Lebanese and Turkish and much of what she teaches is exactly what Artemis covers. I find the two DVD's complement each other.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh Moon that was great! It seems to be the day to post videos of Athena Najat! I love the karsilama rhythm and she did a good job in interpreting the bounciness of the rhythm as well as the slight dip/pause in the rhythm. Thanks for posting it.
    Yasmine

Post Thanks / Like

No problem

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ESMERALDA View Post
    .First I think roman is totally different what we call oryantal..
    Dear Esmeralda, thank you for telling this, it approves what I had been telling in a former posting in this thread.

.One question about classical Turkish music and why dont people dance in that music.I have studied 4 years Turkish Classical Music. The concept in turkish music is very serious.İn some songs there are parts that I can dance oriental.But I cant do.Something coming deep inside me prevents me to dance.I can not give name to it.This is maybe the dicipline that your Turkish traditions give you.(Leyla bir özgecandır) for example is a classical Turkish song.İn the refrain part of the song yes you can dance but it is so little part.The rest is so slow then will you stop? Besides The attitude when singing these songs are very very serious. I guess this can be the reason..
    I'm very glad you mentioned this . People who don't come from a country with belly dance tradition, tend to dance at the wrong songs, just because they like them. I've seen an American belly dancer dancing belly dance on Greek Tsamiko music (which is a folk dance who is completely different than belly dance) and I could only laugh. It was perverse

.I dont know much about the oriental or belly dance styles yes but I have watched the Egyptian style. As an original Turk, I didnt like it so much.May be I am wrong but I think that in that style the body isolation and elastic movement is not so much.İn turkish style the upper body especially is so isolated and you must be very elastic for making the movements.some of the dancers I watched in videos do the figures but since they are not using their waist,hips,torso so well, this doesnt come to me a delicious dance..
    Well, I'm afraid that what you have watched was NOT Egyptian. Egyptian dancers are the best with using the hips and torso as well as hands and they make the greatest shimmies in the world. Besides this the music is very important for the Egyptian belly dance and a good dancer interprets the music with her body. Unfortunately classical Egyptian belly dance music is not so known in Turkey and the Egyptian Raqs Sharqi (Egyptian belly dance) neither. The only Turkish dancer from Turkey who I know that dances real Egyptian style is Princess Banu ( but I don't know if she still performs). She is very good, but still not as good as original Egyptian dancers like Fifi Abdou, Mona al Sai, Soheir Saki etc. If you want to see real Egyptian belly dance, have a look at this:

http://forum.orientaldancer.net/vide...deo-clips.html

http://forum.orientaldancer.net/vide...-say-more.html

http://forum.orientaldancer.net/vide...gwa-fouad.html

Unfortunately there is no video of Mona al Said, whoses style I love the most . But I am a big fun of Fifi Abdou also.

Post Thanks / Like

By the way, Athina Najat is a really good dancer and a very sweet person (I got to know her at the CID congress in Athens), but what she dances on this video is not authentic karsilama. It is rather a karsilama/belly dance mix. But I've seen also Turkish dancers dancing this mix.

As about the 9/8 rhythms: yes, we have them also in Greece. They have been brought to Greece also by the Rom Gypsies (there are many of them living in Greece) and many of the 9/8 songs (in Greek we call them "Kasilamas") are sung by Gypsy singers. Some of our Kasilama songs are originally Turkish (like "Masticha Masticha"), but there many who are originally Greek (or Gypsy-Greek). Greeks and Turks have quite some things in common anyway, mainly through their geographical position and the common parts in their histories (Ottoman empire).

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Great Thread!!
    Could someone explain, in a nutshell an example of a 9/8 rythym? I've heard of this but never heard a song example. I gather it's fast?? (9 beats to a measure.....) BUt if some of our experts could explain? Thanks!! Ludy -- BY the way - Esmeralda -- I loved your comments -- thanks very much!!!!!!!!!!!!! I rushed to UTube to see some Didem examples, too to see what you mean --

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Ludi.

One of the most famous 9/8 songs is "Rampi Rampi" (or "Rompi Rompi" as some people say) and also "Masticha Masticha" (or "Mastika Mastika"). It is difficult though to explain more things about this kind of music, maybe you can find those songs in the Internet (or if somebody in this forum has downloaded them, can maybe post a link).

Post Thanks / Like

Ok Ludi and Chryssanthi, here is an audio link for Karshilima rhythm(I hope it works)it's by Jeremiah Soto/Solace.
    http://www.eventidemusicproductions....hmKashlima.mp3. I tried posting Rompi, Rompi but to no avail. If it plays this track will give you an idea of the rhythm.
    Yasmine

Post Thanks / Like

Dear Yasmine.
    Thanks a lot for posting the link. This song though was sort of strange Karsilama. The 9/8 beat was not very clear. So I don't think that it gives an idea about the Karsilama rhythm to somebody who hasn't ever heard it. I'll see if I can find Rombi Rombi or at least a Greek Karsilama song on some Web page.

Post Thanks / Like

I found this sample on Shira's website:
    karsilama sample

And some cover of Mastika on youtube: